3. Return of the King
  4. No Place Like Home
  5. With You Again
  6. Psycho Motel
  7. Search for Bliss
  8. Road To Hell
  9. Silver and Gold
  10. Mirror and the Moon
Actually disregard this, I genuinely have no clue anymore outside of the top 2 - I would bet a whole nickel that "The Lion" or "Tortured Tone" will be the winners. :ok:

My prediction, based on my personal choices more than anything else! :lol:
  1. Tortured Tone
  2. Mirror and the Moon
  3. Return of the King
  4. Road To Hell
  5. With You Again
  6. Psycho Motel
  7. Search for Bliss
  8. No Place Like Home
  9. Silver and Gold
  10. The Lion

1. Tortured Tone
  2. The Lion
  3. Road To Hell (most people out here like this unoriginal song with The Prisoner solo rip off)
  4. With You Again (Adrian Smith - Dave Murray friendship, people are totally into that, so high)
  5. No Place Like Home (most people do not say bad things about this because Adrian Smith and awesome production, nor does this songs stick out when estimating popularity)
  6. Mirror and the Moon (most people do not say bad things about this because Adrian Smith and awesome production, nor does this songs stick out when estimating popularity)
  7. Search for Bliss (most people do not say bad things about this because Adrian Smith and awesome production, nor does this songs stick out when estimating popularity)
  8. Return of the King (a non album track, most people in this game do not rate such songs very highly)
  9. Silver and Gold (most people involved in this game do not give a hoot about the non-The Lion A.S.a.P. songs, so this must be low, can't believe it made the top 10 even)
  10. Psycho Motel (I've seen some absurd underrating comments about this one lately, can't believe it made the top 10 even)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jer
Just a thought: perhaps people do not say bad things about some songs because there are no bad things to said about them? :D

10. Psycho Motel
Psycho Motel
Average Score: 8.33/10
State Of Mind 10/10

Well, @Forostar called it -- #10 on the countdown is the self-titled "Psycho Motel", the first and only single off of State Of Mind. This also marks the end of that album's run on the countdown, though I'll withhold any album rankings until a second album is eliminated.

This song has an excellent intro, a beefy and catchy main riff, great singing from Solli, and is pretty much excellent from start to finish, with the possible exception of the lyrics. It definitely deserves its spot in the top 10.

Votes were clustered heavily around 8-9/10, but leaning slightly lower overall.

Comments:
Holy cow, love that intro from Psycho Motel.
An outstanding intro leads into a fat, badass bluesy riff that sets the tone for the whole song. Great verses, strong pre-choruses, and...wait a minute, the chorus is the verse! Excellent solo followed by a cool moody interlude. Neat outro, too.
Heavy, but with a country kinda twang. Nice.

Votes:
10 - 1
9 - 3
8 - 3
7 - 2
6 - 0
5 - 0
4 - 0
3 - 0
2 - 0
1 - 0

Overall:
10. Psycho Motel
11. The Ghost Of Cain
12. White Sheet Robes
13. Underground
14. When She's Gone
15. No Friendly Neighbour
16. Rain
17. Believe

18. Awoken Broken
19. She's A Roller
20. Countdown

21. The Last Chain
22. A Quarter To Heaven
23. Something Real

24. Savage World
25. My Lady
26. Welcome To The World
27. Innocence

28. Blood On The Ocean
29. Machine Men
30. Sins Of Your Father
31. Bright As A Fire
32. The Calling
33. I'm Alive
34. Countdown (Alternate Version)
35. Money To Burn
36. Animals
37. Keeping It Mellow

38. Down The Wire
39. Killing Floor
40. After The Storm
41. New Horizons
42. City Of Dreams
43. Western Shore
44. Black Leather Fantasy
45. Don't Ask Me

46. Hypocrisy
47. I See Lights
48. Fallen Heroes
49. Suicide
50. Welcome To The Pit
51. City Of Light
52. Life In The City
53. Into The Black
54. Rage
55. Long Time No Woman
56. Excuse Me
57. Snake Ladders
58. Misunderstood
59. Rock 'N' Roll Woman
60. Watch Me Walk Away

61. Killing Time
62. Scientist
63. No Loss To Me
64. Time Is A Hunter
65. World's On Fire

66. Fighting Man
67. Lifetime
68. Wishing Your Life Away
69. The Late Show
70. Last Goodbye
71. As Tears Come Falling From The Sky
72. You Could Be A King
73. Kid Gone Astray

74. (Can't) Wait
75. Just Like A Woman
76. Blood Brothers
77. School Days
78. Need Somebody
79. Get Up And Get Out
80. Madman
81. Little Girl

82. Mooncusser

Albums:
Silver And Gold 8/10
Welcome To The World 12/13
Awoken Broken 8/12
Collaborations 6/8
State Of Mind 10/10 (7.16 avg.)
Limited Releases 20/20 (6.87 avg.)
B-sides 9/9 (6.14 avg.)

Christ sake, the entire time I was thinking it'd be #10 and then.... :p

Very good song, worthy for a spot! Was listening to it last night and really enjoying it. Country is typically terrible, but when rock artists utilize it - like Psycho Motel here, or Stone Temple Pilots with "Interstate Love Song" - they can create something really cool with it. This song did. Worth the #10 spot most certainly.

9. Road To Hell
Bruce Dickinson
Average Score: 8.33/10

Collaborations 7/8

At #9 we bid farewell to the last of Adrian's songwriting efforts from the Accident Of Birth sessions. "Road To Hell" is a popular track among Iron Maiden fans for its familiar feel and its explicit callback to "The Prisoner" (though this does irritate some).

Votes were mostly clustered around 8/10 and 10/10.

Comments:
I love Road to Hell.
Great song.
Essential Maiden sound/vibe on this one <3
I don't feel Maiden at all on this track. Maybe a little bit on the main riff, but nothing more
Best song on [Accident Of Birth] in my opinion. Much simpler than ["Darkside Of Aquarius"], but incredibly effective.
Adrian did not contribute his best work in Bruce’s solo band. Road To Hell is awesome though and stands up to any of the 80s Maiden rockers.
Nice uptempo melodic riff. Bruce sounds great as usual. [...] Good verse, great pre-chorus, solid chorus. The opening to the solo is a knowing nod to "The Prisoner", and the solo itself is quite strong. [But] I think people tend to overrate this song a bit.
Road to Hell is a bit too much on the 'let's play it safe' side. A conservative heavy metal song, well written [...] but still not very interesting.
Most people out here like this unoriginal song with The Prisoner solo rip off
Meh by Maidenfans standards [...] worthy of being [a single] by Maiden standards.

Votes:
10 - 2
9 - 1
8 - 4
7 - 2
6 - 0
5 - 0
4 - 0
3 - 0
2 - 0
1 - 0

Overall:
9. Road To Hell
10. Psycho Motel
11. The Ghost Of Cain
12. White Sheet Robes
13. Underground
14. When She's Gone
16. Rain
17. Believe

18. Awoken Broken
19. She's A Roller
20. Countdown

21. The Last Chain
22. A Quarter To Heaven
23. Something Real

24. Savage World
25. My Lady
26. Welcome To The World
27. Innocence

28. Blood On The Ocean
29. Machine Men
30. Sins Of Your Father
31. Bright As A Fire
32. The Calling
33. I'm Alive
35. Money To Burn
36. Animals
37. Keeping It Mellow

38. Down The Wire
39. Killing Floor
40. After The Storm
41. New Horizons
42. City Of Dreams
43. Western Shore
45. Don't Ask Me

46. Hypocrisy
47. I See Lights
48. Fallen Heroes
49. Suicide
50. Welcome To The Pit
51. City Of Light
52. Life In The City
53. Into The Black
54. Rage
55. Long Time No Woman
56. Excuse Me
57. Snake Ladders
58. Misunderstood
59. Rock 'N' Roll Woman
60. Watch Me Walk Away

61. Killing Time
62. Scientist
63. No Loss To Me
64. Time Is A Hunter
65. World's On Fire

66. Fighting Man
67. Lifetime
69. The Late Show
70. Last Goodbye
72. You Could Be A King
73. Kid Gone Astray

74. (Can't) Wait
75. Just Like A Woman
76. Blood Brothers
77. School Days
78. Need Somebody
79. Get Up And Get Out
80. Madman
81. Little Girl

82. Mooncusser

Albums:
Silver And Gold 8/10
Awoken Broken 8/12
Collaborations 7/8
B-sides 9/9 (6.14 avg.)

I'm okay with that ranking. "Road To Hell" is very simple, a very by-the-book metal number, but it's got charm and is a very bopping track. Not my favorite Bruce number, but an enjoyable listen.

It'll be interesting seeing how far "Return of the King" gets...

:eek:
  1. The Lion
  2. Tortured Tone
  3. Return of the King
  4. No Place Like Home
  5. With You Again
  6. Mirror and the Moon
  7. Search for Bliss
  8. Silver and Gold
:duckie:

8. Silver And Gold
A.S.A.P.
Average Score: 8.36/10
Silver And Gold 9/10

After a long absence, Silver And Gold returns to the countdown with the exit of its title track, a smooth synth-laden anthem that served as the album's first single.

Votes were mostly clustered around 8/10 and 10/10, with a single 5/10 vote holding the average back slightly.

Comments:
Standard kinda song for this type of music, but I like it. Very catchy.
Nice atmospherics, catchy chorus with interesting backing vocals. Cool solo.
I don't see how Silver and Gold can be a better song than Fallen Heroes or When She's Gone.

Votes:
10 - 4
9 - 2
8 - 5
7 - 2
6 - 0
5 - 1
4 - 0
3 - 0
2 - 0
1 - 0

Overall:
8. Silver And Gold
9. Road To Hell
10. Psycho Motel
11. The Ghost Of Cain
12. White Sheet Robes
13. Underground
14. When She's Gone
16. Rain
17. Believe

18. Awoken Broken
19. She's A Roller
20. Countdown

21. The Last Chain
22. A Quarter To Heaven
23. Something Real

24. Savage World
25. My Lady
26. Welcome To The World
27. Innocence

28. Blood On The Ocean
29. Machine Men
30. Sins Of Your Father
31. Bright As A Fire
32. The Calling
33. I'm Alive
35. Money To Burn
36. Animals
37. Keeping It Mellow

38. Down The Wire
39. Killing Floor
40. After The Storm
41. New Horizons
42. City Of Dreams
43. Western Shore
45. Don't Ask Me

46. Hypocrisy
47. I See Lights
48. Fallen Heroes
49. Suicide
50. Welcome To The Pit
51. City Of Light
52. Life In The City
53. Into The Black
54. Rage
55. Long Time No Woman
56. Excuse Me
57. Snake Ladders
58. Misunderstood
59. Rock 'N' Roll Woman
60. Watch Me Walk Away

61. Killing Time
62. Scientist
63. No Loss To Me
64. Time Is A Hunter
65. World's On Fire

66. Fighting Man
67. Lifetime
69. The Late Show
70. Last Goodbye
72. You Could Be A King
73. Kid Gone Astray

74. (Can't) Wait
75. Just Like A Woman
76. Blood Brothers
77. School Days
78. Need Somebody
79. Get Up And Get Out
80. Madman
81. Little Girl

82. Mooncusser

Albums:
Silver And Gold 9/10
Awoken Broken 8/12
Collaborations 7/8
B-sides 9/9 (6.14 avg.)

8. Silver and Gold
:eek:

I've been listening to that song a bit recently, and it's honestly really great. The verses and pre-chorus are awesome in particularly, and the chorus is a fun bop. Deserving of its rank, I think.

7. Mirror And The Moon
Primal Rock Rebellion
Average Score: 8.38/10
Awoken Broken 9/12

Next up on the countdown is the final track from Awoken Broken, "Mirror And The Moon". This epic ballad somehow manages to be melancholy and uplifting all at once, and its final notes are particularly stirring. I like this song more every time I listen to it.

Once again, the votes were mostly clustered around 8/10 and 10/10, with a single 5/10 vote holding the average back slightly.

Comments:
This album's somewhat twisted take on a ballad. [...] Gentle, appealing chorus. [...] A cool uptempo acoustic section gradually gives way to just the strings, which tie things up beautifully.
Something that is both fragile and powerful at the same time
Beautiful album closer. First I was afraid we'd get some Journeyman kind of song (light song without any tension) but I was pleasantly surprised by the chorus which is pretty different with its darker colour.
Nice ending to the album. Not as good as some of the other highlights, but they couldn't have ended it better.
The album features several great songs, but if I had to choose just two, [one would be] the folkie "Mirror and the Moon".
I have to put in a plug for Mirror and the Moon. Can't think of a song that does bittersweet better. Great poetic images, perfect sound and the interplay between the instruments is breathtaking.

Votes:
10 - 3
9 - 1
8 - 2
7 - 1
6 - 0
5 - 1
4 - 0
3 - 0
2 - 0
1 - 0

Overall:
7. Mirror And The Moon
8. Silver And Gold
9. Road To Hell
10. Psycho Motel
11. The Ghost Of Cain
12. White Sheet Robes
13. Underground
14. When She's Gone
16. Rain
17. Believe

18. Awoken Broken
19. She's A Roller
20. Countdown

21. The Last Chain
22. A Quarter To Heaven
23. Something Real

24. Savage World
25. My Lady
26. Welcome To The World
27. Innocence

28. Blood On The Ocean
29. Machine Men
30. Sins Of Your Father
31. Bright As A Fire
32. The Calling
33. I'm Alive
35. Money To Burn
36. Animals
37. Keeping It Mellow

38. Down The Wire
39. Killing Floor
40. After The Storm
41. New Horizons
42. City Of Dreams
43. Western Shore
45. Don't Ask Me

46. Hypocrisy
47. I See Lights
48. Fallen Heroes
49. Suicide
50. Welcome To The Pit
51. City Of Light
52. Life In The City
53. Into The Black
54. Rage
55. Long Time No Woman
56. Excuse Me
57. Snake Ladders
58. Misunderstood
59. Rock 'N' Roll Woman
60. Watch Me Walk Away

61. Killing Time
62. Scientist
63. No Loss To Me
64. Time Is A Hunter
65. World's On Fire

66. Fighting Man
67. Lifetime
69. The Late Show
70. Last Goodbye
72. You Could Be A King
73. Kid Gone Astray

74. (Can't) Wait
75. Just Like A Woman
76. Blood Brothers
77. School Days
78. Need Somebody
79. Get Up And Get Out
80. Madman
81. Little Girl

82. Mooncusser

Albums:
Silver And Gold 9/10
Awoken Broken 9/12
Collaborations 7/8
B-sides 9/9 (6.14 avg.)

6. The Lion
A.S.A.P.
Average Score: 8.43/10
Silver And Gold 10/10

Sorry, @Diesel 11 , but your dreams are now officially dashed. After a very respectable run, "The Lion" exits the countdown at #6, which also marks the end of the line for the Silver And Gold album.

This song is widely considered to be the best one on the record, driven by a palpable urgency and a great chorus.

Roughly 2/3 of the votes for this song were either a 9/10 or 10/10, but the lower third pulled the overall average down.

Comments:
Amazing song, Adrian is the best!
There's only one song [on the album] I really like start to finish, and that's the The Lion.
"The Lion" [is] probably the best track on the entire record.
The Lion is probably my favourite ASAP song (ghost stories have never sounded so rock 'n'roll!)
I like The Lion, but I wouldn't call it "great". It's a very good 80's-sounding rock track.
Great vibe, nice imagery, catchy chorus. I really like Adrian's voice on this, even if he pushes a little past his limits.
I love the The Lion's pace. The light and subtle Peart-like drumming. Some breaks are very short and fast. Yes, the son of Ringo Starr impresses me a lot on this song. Then there's the passion in Adrian's singing and catchiness of the chorus. And of course the solo (love that divebomb at the end).
Love the feel of this song, and Adrian's vocals are great.
If “The Lion” doesn’t win I’ll be disappointed. I do prefer a few Bruce songs to it, but in the context of Adrian’s discography, it’s his song. Sung by Adrian in the band Adrian Smith And Project, and the best one from that album. Hope it wins but we’ll see!
I have faith that "The Lion" will win the countdown. :ok:
I was hoping The Lion would have won.

Votes:
10 - 5
9 - 4
8 - 1
7 - 2
6 - 0
5 - 2
4 - 0
3 - 0
2 - 0
1 - 0

#4: State Of Mind
Psycho Motel
Average Score: 7.16/10

R-2776675-1455292252-9750.jpeg.jpg

Adrian's first official solo release after leaving Iron Maiden featured big, fat, bluesy guitar licks mixed with grungy heaviness and high-pitched vocals. Opinions were mixed on how well Solli's vocals fit the music, and I think most people would agree that the quality of the songwriting was uneven, and that the production wasn't stellar; but songs like "Psycho Motel", "Sins Of Your Father", "Western Shore", and others showed that this incarnation of the band still had a lot to offer.

That said, the voters have spoken, and State Of Mind has finished last among all of Adrian's solo albums.

Comments:
Very heavy album, with a modern sound and influences from that era (90s grunge) and older (Sabbath, Hendrix). I like Solli as a singer and Adrian plays some tasty guitar riffs and solos. He also adds some nice backing vocals here and there. Gary Leideman and Mike Sturgis provide a solid rhythm backbone to the songs.
Probably a stronger album than Silver and Gold, but I'm not quite sure which I prefer. The ASAP album has better stand-outs; everything on here (except for "Excuse Me") is pretty much in the same kinda boat. But overall a good album.
I thought State of Mind was more diverse, a tiny more melodic and it had a bit more of an "own sound" than Welcome to the World. Also I thought that SOM was a bit less repetitive than WTTW
State Of Mind is better [than Welcome To The World] in every way possible.

#3: Silver And Gold
A.S.A.P.
Average Score: 7.17/10

asapsilverandgoldcover.jpg

Adrian's first solo effort after joining Iron Maiden was a big departure from many people's expectations, featuring a hard rock / AOR sound with lots of synths, as well as a strapping young lad named Adrian Smith on vocals. The epic, catchy feel and the abundance of excellent guitar solos had Adrian's stamp all over them, and people who weren't turned off by the departure in style found a lot to like here. Even the album's detractors typically enjoyed tracks like "The Lion" and "Silver And Gold".

The fight between this album and State Of Mind was a nailbiter, with Silver And Gold starting off at a deficit, but ultimately edging ahead to claim the #3 spot by a 0.01 point margin!

Comments:
The whole album Silver and Gold is a masterpiece from the magical talent of Adrian Smith. :)
Silver and Gold is probably my favorite Adrian album, actually, because while it isn't perfect, neither are his other ones, and I love the sound and feel and vibe.
I love it, it has some brilliant guitar sections like in misunderstood and punchy lyrics in the same and after the storm. Adrians talent shown off in a great easy listening environment focused on him, and metal as fu** :lol:
Well, it isn't really my cup of tea. [...] In its heavier moments, the album feels a bit like Whitesnake meets Bryan Adams, but mostly it's very bland, even boring.
Good melodic album, although at times it is too keyboard heavy for my taste. I do not think the sound of the album has aged that well - it sounds dated. That being said, I quite like Adrian's voice, which reminds me of Bryan Adams, and there are some pretty good songs with stellar guitar solos.
Very strong if rather conventional songwriting throughout on Silver and Gold. I’ve always felt Adrian was modelling it after Gary Moore’s Run For Cover album.
Silver and Gold expands on the melodic side of what they had going on Seventh Son, turning it up a notch even, there is a bit AOR in there as well...

Overall:
6. The Lion
7. Mirror And The Moon
8. Silver And Gold
9. Road To Hell
10. Psycho Motel
11. The Ghost Of Cain
12. White Sheet Robes
13. Underground
14. When She's Gone
16. Rain
17. Believe

18. Awoken Broken
19. She's A Roller
20. Countdown

21. The Last Chain
22. A Quarter To Heaven
23. Something Real

24. Savage World
25. My Lady
26. Welcome To The World
27. Innocence

28. Blood On The Ocean
29. Machine Men
30. Sins Of Your Father
31. Bright As A Fire
32. The Calling
33. I'm Alive
35. Money To Burn
36. Animals
37. Keeping It Mellow

38. Down The Wire
39. Killing Floor
40. After The Storm
41. New Horizons
42. City Of Dreams
43. Western Shore
45. Don't Ask Me

46. Hypocrisy
47. I See Lights
48. Fallen Heroes
49. Suicide
50. Welcome To The Pit
51. City Of Light
52. Life In The City
53. Into The Black
54. Rage
55. Long Time No Woman
56. Excuse Me
57. Snake Ladders
58. Misunderstood
59. Rock 'N' Roll Woman
60. Watch Me Walk Away

61. Killing Time
62. Scientist
63. No Loss To Me
64. Time Is A Hunter
65. World's On Fire

66. Fighting Man
67. Lifetime
69. The Late Show
70. Last Goodbye
72. You Could Be A King
73. Kid Gone Astray

74. (Can't) Wait
75. Just Like A Woman
76. Blood Brothers
77. School Days
78. Need Somebody
79. Get Up And Get Out
80. Madman
81. Little Girl

82. Mooncusser

Albums:
Awoken Broken 9/12
Collaborations 7/8
#3: Silver And Gold 10/10 (7.17 avg.)
#4: State Of Mind 10/10 (7.16 avg.)
B-sides 9/9 (6.14 avg.)

With "The Lion" out, I shall join the chorus of those who predict "Tortured Tone" will come out on top. I do have "Return of the King" as a sort of dark horse, though - I don't quite believe it will win, but somehow I wouldn't be surprised if it manages to do so.

The people who gave “The Lion” less than a 9 should’ve just been disqualified. :p

1. Tortured Tone
  2. Return of the King
  3. No Place Like Home
  4. With You Again
  5. I See Lights
:ninja:

Back