Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

I think I broke my own sleep record. Good thing the folks at home let me do it.

Oh no, wait. I just remembered I slept once for 15 hours, after a party in 2003.
Hmm... I'm inspired. Will give it a shot.

Random thought

What I like in music from 90s onwards, is that the people wear their normal clothes. Or at least this is the general trend. Take for example the clothes of this beautiful lady in The Gathering video. Her (awesome) jumper looks modern, the members of the band are dressed normal as well. 20 years later it feels like today, dress code wise.

From the other hand, one guy back at 1993 looking at this Iron Maiden video (only 5 years later), it should feel like from another planet. A good planet, may I add ;)

Yep, point taken. Though the way musicians were dressing was far beyond the everyday kitsch. Mega kitsch if I may.
From 90's onwards the line stage clothes -everyday clothes almost disappeared. And yes, the every day clothes look normal.

I know what you mean. There was a very much 'back to basics' movement (to coin an overused political term of the time - ugh) in the early 90s in particular, which rejected 80s extravagance. A lot more fashion, music and film, in many ways dumped all the superficial trimmings and became stripped down to the fundementals. Even the BBC's main music TV show insisted on live performances only - with some disastrous results at times!
To me, though, this has been completely turned on its head in popular culture now, especially where mainstream pop is concerned. There's a nostalgic/retro revival of 80s kitsch too, which is a bit refreshing to me, because you felt you weren't allowed to like it in the 90s.

However, I do actually find some early 90s stuff looks quite dated to me now.

What Brigantium said is exactly what Maiden did with No Prayer For The Dying both music and image wise, stripped down and "back to basics" approach.

Which was a brilliant idea as far as fashion went. But the transition from Seventh Son to No Prayer... :S

There are some musical ideas and vibes on No Prayer that is consistent with the type of writing they did on Seventh Son. Some passages in the arrangements wouldn't have sounded out of place on Seventh Son, try imagining them having the same production. Still the transition is rather distinct I agree...Very assuredly marks one era from the next. I also wonder if they even could have taken it further after Seventh Son maybe the band also thought that they had gone as far as they could go with all the keyboards and the progressive layers and everything.

I guess we can listen to A.S.A.P to get a feeling for where Adrian was musically and what ideas he had at the time. Very different from what Maiden would do on No Prayer...

Adrian clearly distinguished between the things he could do with Maiden and the things that were not suitable for Maiden. He was by no means trying to turn No Prayer into another Silver and Gold.

For this case only, I'll side with Harris. The idea was brilliant. The problem was the songs. I kind of like them all, but they should be of quality of Wratchchild, Prowler, Charlotte the Harlot etc

The problem with these kinds of songs is that they are very dense. Harris took years to develop them. Less is more, it takes more effort to write a Prowler than No More Lies or Clansman.

So eventually they came with good songs like Fates Warning, but in no means killer songs.

But seeing as Silver and Gold is crazy melodic (Even AOR like in places) maybe the idea of returning to more straightforward simple rock vibes with Maiden didn't suit what he wanted to play at the time?

Yes, but not in the way No Prayer is back to basics...Silver and Gold expands on the melodic side of what they had going on Seventh Son, turning it up a notch even, there is a bit AOR in there as well...

No Prayer sounds more like they wanted to get away from all the melodic intricate stuff they did on Seventh Son, they wanted to go back and write "unmelodic" raw in your face stuff... So it is like two totally different approaches, go more melodic or play more raw stuff...

Exactly - ASAP was rock, Maiden was/is metal. Most of the songs included in Silver and Gold date back to several years before the release of Silver and Gold. That wasn't a temporary state of mind in which he wanted to make a commercial album. He just piled these songs over the years and since 1989 was a year off for Maiden, he decided to make the album. He never saw Silver and Gold as anything remotely related to his work with Maiden. He just thought that once he released these songs, he could go back to Maiden full of Maiden-ish ideas and make a killer record.

Alright, so Silver and Gold was like a late 80s British Lion in fact :D

I always knew he quit because he just felt "burned out" but also kind of gave the reason a little to musical differences, especially knowing that he would have liked to take the sound on Seventh Son further...

Back