Adrian Smith

Maiden's Reach Out is fantastic. I really like that SiT sound & Adrian singing.
(I really need to start listening to some of Adrian's other stuff...)

I'm sitting here trying to think of how the song would have sounded if Bruce sang the main vocals on it.... I don't know if I would like it as much but then again, it may have still sounded good anyway.

It would have sounded good, it's just a good catchy song. However, it wouldn't have been any different from all other B-sides. :) Having Adrian on vocals makes it special.

CriedWhenBrucieLeft- there's lots of good non-Maiden Adrian stuff out there for you to dig into! Is it as strong as Maiden across the board? Not always, but there are magic moments, too. What I enjoy is the diversity of styles he will play and also his tone; especially on songs like Live To Learn and Just Like A Woman- which open up into the blues end of the spectrum. Adrian teases us, though- where I want to hear more and wailing, he's reserved and plays it minimalist sometimes. Now Davey, he can just wail- love the guy for that! But that's one of the many reasons why I think that duo, Dave-Adrian, works so well together: differences, but complimentary. Adrian is structured, complex, with a gritty tone, whereas Dave can free-form solos, plays the simple stuff like no one else can (not a knock), and his smooth, legato tone is like butter compared to Adrian's spice. They get each other. They grew up together, so that makes sense. The Davey guest spot on the Psycho Motel song "With You Again" is brilliant and was a ray of light in the mostly dark 90s.

I think it's been quite widely written that two guitar bands (as Maiden were in their day) don't really allow one or either guitarist to really shine; although Maiden have had a real good go. It's, as you say, all about the two being complimentary, in styles. It just wouldn't really work, or perhaps last, otherwise. There's basically not room for two Eddie Van Halen's in a band --& for that very reason I think neither Murray or Smith have really developed in the way they perhaps could have. Perhaps through choice. I mean, they have a pretty good thing going with Maiden. But, Dave especially, hasn't really revealed any other side to guitar oeuvre. Adrian has, up to a point. But to be really, truly great guitarists (people are always saying the two are underrated guitarists) the two really needed to go and do their own stuff. "Wankery" as you said. Thankfully, in a way, Adrian hasn't gone & done this. It just doesn't really seem his style; to have a band all about him, as a guitarist. And Dave, even more so, clearly has never really desired that. Pity, in a way. I'd have loved to have heard Dave do some stuff outside Maiden. I certainly lean towards his playing more than Adrian. But, hey, they're both very, very good. And, not to leave Janick out here, I think they do genuinely have something quite special now with all three of them. It's pretty unique.

I don't know if you read this ding-dong --but there was a recent discussion of Adrian & Dave's, & their tone in particular:
http://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/help-what-is-so-special-about-iron-maiden-in-your-opinion.16159/
I was writing in support of Dave's superior tone...:)

I know, I know... sorry. It probably came across as rabid H bashing --but it's hard to praise one, without inadvertently criticising the other. Sometimes, with my focus being so Murray-centric, I forget just how amazing Adrian really is. Perhaps I underrate him... :p

The new version of Reach Out sounds somewhat strange to me.
I don't like it.
I don't have Winter's Child, unfortunately.
Same here. I'm very interested in that!

I just listened to all the other songs posted here and I am very glad to have heard them (I'm glad Just like a Woman wasn't part of the regular release though; and strangely enough it also wasn't on my Japanese edition; was it a b-side or is it on a different Japanese edition?). I thought they were interesting. Live to Learn is cool. It certainly has H on vocals. Recognizable, though I can understand the doubts because in the chorus he sings in a kind of different tone than we're used to. By the way, that main riff (and keyboards) reminds me a lot of Black Sabbath's Anno Mundi (1990).

Live to Learn is cool.

Very much so. It's obvious that it isn't an Adrian composition but it's a very nice song and he performs it really well. In fact, there is something different about the way he sings but I can't quite pin it down. I don't know if it's the tone but there is something not typical there.

Finally, after 16 years (for me at least): Psycho Motel live material
Killing Time (partial)
World's On Fire
Psycho Motel
Rage
Time Is A Hunter
Demolition
Last Goodbye

Man this band ruled. Check the hard edge of the guitar! Heavy shit.

No prob, a few months extra doesn't matter much after 16 years...!
Blasting from my speakers at the moment. Holy cow, love that intro from Psycho Motel.

The heaviness, in concert, of the P.M. stuff surprised me. Then again, weren't they opening for Maiden at this show? Perhaps that played into it and, only having a support slot, wanted to hit it hard-n-fast? I wish they had released "Demolition" as well. I agree with the earlier comment regarding "Just Like A Woman"- it was so different from the P.M. norm that it would've sounded weird, out-of-place on the regular release. I have the Japanese copy, also, and it didn't show up there, so I wonder what version it cropped up on? Now, H really, REALLY needs to release all the stuff he's been sitting on for all these years. I'd love to hear it and I'm guessing there are lots of other fans who would want to as well. He could do it digitally, as a download from a website (the official I.M. site or one of his own) like Louis C.K. did with his comedy special. That would keep down the expenses and overhead, while also getting the music out to the fans. Louis C.K. made nearly a million dollars from that method of distribution, and now other comedians/acts have copied him, so it seems to be a business model that works! Granted, I don't think H will make a million bucks from going this route, but there would probably be a pretty good return on the old, unknown music he has sitting around. Someone should put a bug in his ear . . .

Yeah I was already wondering about Demolition. Curious selection, because know one in the audience knew it.

Whaaaat? Adrian Smith on "Red Barchetta". :dancinggeek: :edmetal:

Man I am speechless. This is fantastic!

Never knew Adrian had something with Rush. Brilliant!

Back