Votes: 3 33.3%
  • The Untouchables

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Psycho Motel

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters

Ardius

Trooper
Thought Id do a poll of my own for once, and thought this would be interesting to see.

I felt the EPoH should be included, seeing as it was an early ASAP, essentially.

As for my vote, Psycho Motel will always be my favourite. Adrian playing grunge? Hell yes! My second would be either EPoH or Urchin.

A.S.a.P & Psycho Motel are the only two which released complete albums.
A tough choice. Songs like "The Lion" I prefer over all the songs of Psycho Motel, but when I look at these 3 complete albums, I think I'd still choose Psycho Motel.

Especially the first album, State Of Mind, I have played a lot.

Interesting, because Ive found from my fanpage that many prefer the second album, Welcome to the World and aren't especially interested in State of Mind.
I like both, but if I did have to choose one, I would pick Welcome to the World. The title track and "Last Chain" were the songs that got me into them and also started my, shall I say "quest", for Adrian's solo works and also giving them a bit more light. It all started after I watched that Adrian Smith guitar lesson video on youtube, where he played those two songs. After that, I HAD to find them.

Anyway, thats why i would choose Welcome to the World over State of Mind, purely personal reasons. Theres not much in musical quality that seperates them except in terms of style, although, obviously, having Scott Gorham and Dave Murray play guest guitars generally does help sway your opinion.

ASAP is a funny one. I sometimes love it, and sometimes dont. Great written songs, but the whole 80s-thing it has doesnt help it. Good, but not Adrian's best.

The only reasons I wouldnt pick Urchin, EPoH or The Untouchables is because I haven't heard enough of them.
Urchin I do have that relatively rare recording of Oxford in 1980, which has a large number of tracks...but they are not great quality.
The Entire Population of Hackney's recording is one of the best bootlegs ive heard and they played a lot of songs, this would challenge Psycho Motel and ASAP if it wasnt the fact it only lasted 2 nights. It would be my favourite Adrian moment ever captured on recording though. (and probably Nicko's too!)
The Untouchables apparently does have a whole live-album's worth of material, as has been quoted from Adrian himself, but unfortunately, there only seems to be those three tracks, which is a shame. Adrian once hinted at maybe releasing the album one day.

I thought State of Mind was more diverse, a tiny more melodic and it had a bit more of an "own sound" than Welcome to the World. Also I thought that SOM was a bit less repetitive than WTTW, where the riffs are cool, but more often repeated before a new one starts.

The vocalist on WTTW was a bit Alice in Chainish in my ears, though I admit that Excuse Me from SOM was really an Alice in Chains kind of song as well.

I have to admit that perhaps I haven't played WTTW enough to judge well, but these were my earliest impressions.

These days I'm busy with listening to Bruce's solo stuff (in chronological order), and after that I could continue with H.  :yes:

^Im much liking Omega, Ark of Space and Ghost of Cain from Accident of Birth (bonus disc version). For some reason, I overlooked them on my first year of listening to it and now Im rediscovering how great these songs are.

I like the Alice In Chains element to WttW, and its no wonder that it has that because the singer, Andy Makin is a big Alice in Chains fan.
Id have to agree on the repititive-ness, especially when I first heard it, but I suppose the album has grown on me over the years and I enjoy it a lot better than when I first listened to it.

Back