Iron Maiden Tour 2025 - Discussion

The Killer crew has experienced significant changes over the past few years. The crew typically alternates between solo projects and working within the Iron Maiden camp, such as Michael Kenney teching for British Lion and Dave Murray's tech being on Bruce's Mandrake tour. I would argue that any developments within the Mandrake or British Lion camps fall within the 'context of Maiden'.
Killer crew is something completely different that your partner in the rythm section. Listen to "Coming Home - Adrian Smith guitar only". You will see that basically 60% of Maiden sound are Nicko and Harry. They are carrying the songs. Even with only 1 guitar, it's so unmistakeably Maiden.

As for the documentary, I wonder if there's going to be anything interesting and exclusive for the die hard fans or if we'll be familiar with everything already. I'm sure we're not the intended audience, but it's still interesting to think about.
Pretty sure there will be nothing that we don't know already. "WE", anyway, is a very small portion of Maiden fans, and an even smaller portion of Metal fans.

Killer crew is something completely different that your partner in the rythm section. Listen to "Coming Home - Adrian Smith guitar only". You will see that basically 60% of Maiden sound are Nicko and Harry. They are carrying the songs. Even with only 1 guitar, it's so unmistakeably Maiden.
When the official video for 'The Writing On The Wall' was streamed the first time I was of course excited and nervous. Once Nicko's drums kicked in I had the biggest grin on my face, turned to my partner and said "now, this is new Maiden!".

All this talk about a potential farewell tour in the future has me thinking what song will close their last show. It has to be Wasted Years, right?
They could go with something like Prowler to go back to the beginning, but I don't think the emotional weight is there for that one. Something like Hallowed would be a worthy song, but it's not usually a concert closer. Blood Brothers is the other one that resonates a lot with people, but I think Wasted Years is probably the most fitting choice.

Though the real answer is of course the special 20 minute version of The Angel And The Gambler.
My preference for the final encore would be Number of the Beast, Blood Brothers, and Wasted Years.

13. Hallowed be thy name
14. Run to the hills
15. Aces High

a recipe for a beautiful disaster
Well, I dunno about you guys but an encore like that would definitely help lessen the sting of their retirement. In fact, it might even elicit responses of the "good" variety. So maybe they should do it.

Hallowed Be Thy Name is the obvious choice for last song at the last Maiden show. They have closed with it before and it works well. Wasted Years is fine but it needs to be a Harris epic and I feel it won't be that special considering the band has closed with it twice in the last 4 tours.

I hope Steve’s interview slows down the speculation about retirement after the next tour a bit.
Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I've personally never liked it because I find it illogical compared to other bands where it's not an issue.
And regarding Nicko, who knows if he's not a person who would say, please, don't finish Iron Maiden for my sake, I couldn't stand that, then I'd rather choose a live successor.
Rob and Ian from Priest are both 72 (so is KK). Unsure about Nicko but there's no reason the rest of guys can't play into their 70s if that is their desire so as long as they all remain relatively healthy. So there's no reason Maiden can't continue for another 5 or 6+ years at least (though they may have to do it without Nicko). I'm still a big Priest fan and thought they were great when I saw them back in May. However, on the contrary, I have to say I don't think I would like seeing a version of Maiden with only Bruce and Steve onstage as the only "classic/long time" members.

Hallowed Be Thy Name is the obvious choice for last song at the last Maiden show. They have closed with it before and it works well. Wasted Years is fine but it needs to be a Harris epic and I feel it won't be that special considering the band has closed with it twice in the last 4 tours.
Yes! IMO Hallowed must be the very last song Maiden ever plays live before they hang it up for good. It would be the perfect ending.

Regarding Nicko's successor live... The biggest question is does the other part of the rythm section even want to play with another drummer in the context of Maiden?
I'd lean towards no.
This. Nicko is a specific drummer and with fewer dates per year, why not. It would be like Steve's idea for semi-retirement from playing live.
Please God no more history tours. album/tour/album/tour until Steve retires.
It will be a special Anniv tour. I want to believe if it wasn't for it, they would have followed the current tour with a new album.
All this talk about a potential farewell tour in the future has me thinking what song will close their last show.
Hallowed for sure. Or Iron Maiden?
As for the documentary, I wonder if there's going to be anything interesting and exclusive for the die hard fans or if we'll be familiar with everything already. I'm sure we're not the intended audience, but it's still interesting to think about.
I doubt it, but who knows/why not for the later albums. There's a chance. I guess (unfortunately) it won't be that detailed for such a long career.

Last edited:
Regarding Nicko's successor live... The biggest question is does the other part of the rythm section even want to play with another drummer in the context of Maiden?

I'd lean towards no.

You mean that possible scenario would be Nicko saying, please don't end Iron Maiden because of me, the others think there are many good years left, that would feel like a terrible end for me, play live with a successor and Steve would say, never mind, no, that's it?

Rob and Ian from Priest are both 72 (so is KK). Unsure about Nicko but there's no reason the rest of guys can't play into their 70s if that is their desire so as long as they all remain relatively healthy. So there's no reason Maiden can't continue for another 5 or 6+ years at least (though they may have to do it without Nicko). I'm still a big Priest fan and thought they were great when I saw them back in May. However, on the contrary, I have to say I don't think I would like seeing a version of Maiden with only Bruce and Steve onstage as the only "classic/long time" members.

Steve and Bruce? True, we don't have access to their medical records :D but at least we only know about Nicko’s problems.

Sure, as always there are exceptions, but I'd say normally musicians have a hard time ending the band, especially live where the energy comes from.

You mean that possible scenario would be Nicko saying, please don't end Iron Maiden because of me, the others think there are many good years left, that would feel like a terrible end for me, play live with a successor and Steve would say, never mind, no, that's it?
I'm saying that it might not feel right. Bass + drums is the backbone of the band. If you change one of those, the whole band might feel very different. Both Nicko and Steve are very specific players with very specific sound. Getting a Nicko replacement would be very hard, because he is a drummer with groove in a heavy metal band.

This is Nicko, Steve and H from En Vivo (and a bit of Bruce in the overheads I guess). 1 guitar, drums and bass. Still can tell that it's Maiden thanks to mainly bass and drums.

I'm saying that it might not feel right. Bass + drums is the backbone of the band. If you change one of those, the whole band might feel very different. Both Nicko and Steve are very specific players with very specific sound. Getting a Nicko replacement would be very hard, because he is a drummer with groove in a heavy metal …

I know, you're absolutely right. Nevertheless, I don't think that good live versions with someone else are an impossibility.

A few issues with bringing Blaze and Paul out on stage

Dianno can't really sing anymore and is in a wheelchair. Dianno probably does not sing his maiden tunes in the original key anymore.

Blaze in the 2000s grew to be twice the singer he was in Maiden. Consistent great live performances etc. I actually think he's (only) slightly lost a step now, vocally, after the heart attack (saw him live recently). Hes still good though.

However if Blaze came out to sing say, Futureal, well Blaze sings that in D nowadays (given aging and it fits him better) and Maiden would do it in E. So that might once again leave Blaze in a Maiden show not quite at his absolute best.

I guess they could just transpose it down the neck to D from 7-3-5 to 5-1-3. They did similar for Bruce on lord of the flies
IMO the best analysis on this hypothetical (and enormously far-fetched) scenario on the board. Evey issue spotted in a clear, deep yet concise way. Congrats.

Steve and Bruce? True, we don't have access to their medical records :D but at least we only know about Nicko’s problems.

Sure, as always there are exceptions, but I'd say normally musicians have a hard time ending the band, especially live where the energy comes from.
My point was i don't mind seeing Rob and Ian in Judas Priest as the only classic/OG members while I don't want to see the equivalent (Bruce and Steve) for Maiden.

Killer crew is something completely different that your partner in the rythm section.
Maiden has a long tradition of moving both crew and personnel between Maiden and solo projects or opening bands. Janick and Michael being the latest examples of musicians moving between Maiden and solo band. So no, it's not completely different.
Listen to "Coming Home - Adrian Smith guitar only". You will see that basically 60% of Maiden sound are Nicko and Harry. They are carrying the songs. Even with only 1 guitar, it's so unmistakeably Maiden.
The songs Maiden created for their first three albums with Clive are heavily defined by his unique playing style. Clive was one of the most influential drummers of the early '80s, and Nicko's interpretation of these tracks is distinctly different. While Nicko’s versions of the songs are not bad, his approach brings a unique feel that sets them apart from Clive's original recordings. I'm sure a third drummer would bring yet another dimension to the discography!

Perhaps they could have ‘guest’ drummers on a few songs if they’re a bit much for Nicko. Then Nicko continues with the rest of the set.

If the show is divided up in the way Legacy was, the trickier numbers could all be in one section with the guest playing. Then Nicko returns for the remainder.

Back