The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right on the Final Frontier tour (link to video)

I don't see it on the SBiT tour (link to video)

And I can't find a proper video of Maiden England where they play NotB (at least from the 12 - 14 tour)

And they used it on the Book of Souls tour of course. But not on the Legacy of the Beast tour as far as I know.

All things considered I'm curious to see what props they're going to be using!

Edit: Found a video from Maiden England. Horrible quality but the Beast is there as well (link to video)
Look up the Rock Am Ring and Rock in Rio shows. They’re probably the best quality videos from that tour.

The Reunion lineup is magical, so I want to see just the 6 of them (plus Eddie) on the stage forever.

And Steve said (iirc) that this will be the final lineup of Maiden.
I surely hope so to and I think the band is aiming for that, they have that die with your boots on attitude and would continue if the whole band ends up in a wheelchair. But if they do I am afraid they will not be playing for more than a couple of years. So I think they will replace the drummer or one of the guitarists if they have to in a critical situation.

Tuomas said the same about Nightwish after Floor and Troy joined, but Marco quit and they are still playing on. Now he has also said they band should continue without him if he can’t do a gig or tours with the band. Kiss is very open about continue on without Gene and Paul to. At the end of the day, they all want to continue rolling the hamster wheel.

I was just listening to Seventh Son this morning and I remembered Steve’s quotes about playing Only the Good Die Young live one day. It’s one of my favourite Maiden songs and I would love to see it live. It doesn’t seem too taxing on Bruce’s voice. Thoughts?

si really listen the song like the album but bruce singing the chorus higher
They transposed the song so that Bruce could sing the higher octave. On the album it's in F# minor, on the live album E minor.

I was just listening to Seventh Son this morning and I remembered Steve’s quotes about playing Only the Good Die Young live one day. It’s one of my favourite Maiden songs and I would love to see it live. It doesn’t seem too taxing on Bruce’s voice. Thoughts?
Next to getting new music from Maiden, my other wish is for them to play as many of their songs live as possible. OTGDY is unfortunately one of those that was never played live, so I'd be very happy if it made the setlist. It's a weird spot, where up to now no song that wasn't played on the original tour was ever played on a later tour. With the Future Past tour and Alexander this might (and hopefully will) change though. On the other hand, we'll have a bunch of SIT and Senjutsu songs and obviously a handful of classics, so is there enough room for one more, never before played, deep cut? Really curious as to how the setlist is going to look like.

Last edited:
Bruce wanted to show off but couldn't sing high enough. So they tuned the song down from F# to E. Simple as that.
This was done because it would make the chorus sound better (with him on vocals). It fits his range. Great decision! Although he did the low chorus (like Blaze in the studio version) for a bit after the instrumental section live.
Which opens once again the age-old debate: why did they tune down Lord of the Flies for Bruce, only to let him sing the chorus higher more easily, but never tuned any song down for Blaze, even if he clearly struggled with songs out of his range?
Maybe because the songs won't sound right, I guess?
Should Maiden start playing shorter and shorter gigs as they're getting older ?
No. 1 hour and 50 minutes is the standard for every metal band, old and young.
I think there's an element of the band doing whatever keeps Bruce happy so that he doesn't leave again, because if he does that the band is 100% over.
You could be right.
and they played the songs really really fast.
They were younger and most of the songs from that era and some of the old classics are fast.
If Steve wants to play it, I think it's possible. It's not a difficult song for Bruce. The fast galloping tempo is always great live. For me this song is THE hidden gem of the band.
Next to getting new music from Maiden, my other wish is for them to play as many of their songs live as possible. OTGDY is unfortunately one of those that was never played live, so I'd be very happy if it made the setlist. It's a weird spot, where up to now no song that wasn't played on the original tour was ever played on a later tour. With the Future Past tour and Alexander this might (and hopefully will) change though. On the other hand, we'll have a bunch of SIT and Senjutsu songs and obviously a handful of classics, so is there enough room for one more, never before played, deep cut? Really curious as to how the setlist is going to look like.
I agree with your first sentence on a 110%. If they play ATG, the ''tradition'' could be broken for future tours. There is room in the setlist for a deep cut (if they don't play one of the big classics), but I'm not sure if 2 songs will make a live debut during one tour. The setlist for this tour will be the most anticipated of the band's career.

Nicko playing Stratego -> Behind The Drums! (filmed by his son).

Edit: I posted it in the wrong thread. Never mind, keeping up with the ongoing discussion of Nicko's playing in this thread, it's great to see him (in close-up, albeit briefly) in action with his most difficult song to play from the album.

Last edited:
There were definitely some weird things going on with Maiden during the Blaze era. I remember reading that they wouldn't let Blaze decide what was in his own monitor mix, an absolutely insane decision by the standard of ANY musician or sound engineer. A decision (along with the lack of tuning down) that sealed Blazes fate before they even played a note.
Blaze talked about not rehearsing the old material as a band being a problem too.

Have heard a lot of excuses from Blaze over the years but the rest of the band has been largely silent on the matter. I find it difficult to accept the band did nothing to help him. It makes no sense. Saw Maiden with Blaze once in a small club in Atlanta. He lost his voice at the end of the set and literally croaked his way through the encores. I did feel bad for the guy but I was worried then I was witnessing the beginning of the end for Maiden.

I, Chaospaint, personally feel that Bruce's voice sounds fine. Band doesn't need to tune down. His ability to hit the notes is still there. His biggest "hindrances" right now are that he's out of breath quicker and can't afford to run around on stage nearly as much. Neither of which tuning down would fix.

Seems that there are still some GA early entrance tickets in the second gig in Poland, as unfortunately traveling to Sweden Rock from Oslo is a nightmare from previous experiences.
Does anyone know if those GA early entrance are worth enough to get front row? How are the Polish fans, are they rowdy/early birds on queue? I've never been in a gig before in Poland.
Thanks!

This was done because it would make the chorus sound better (with him on vocals). It fits his range. Great decision! Although he did the low chorus (like Blaze in the studio version) for a bit after the instrumental section live.
Which is a fancy way to repeat exactly what I said. By the way it wasn’t really a great choice since Bruce struggled nevertheless.

Maybe because the songs won't sound right, I guess?
True! They indeed sounded GREAT with Blaze in their original tonality.

Last edited:
I am against downtuning. Downtuned live songs that I know well from the album sound odd to me.
It's not necessary to do that to the songs.

Something else is needed: no more breaks for Maiden.
Even after just a few weeks off from touring they look and sound worse;
the longer they tour without breaks the more fun they seem to have together.
So, vacations canceled, forever, sorry, it just does you no good. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back