The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
The hired guy would just sit out the encore so that Nicko could drum.

And in an ideal world, that sounds great. But if the shows start to suffer, a la the dirge tempo of Aces High, then I'd rather have 5 guys who sound great with some random drummer than 6 guys who sound slow and tired simply because Nicko wants to keep going.

Ideally, we'd all love to see that. But if Bruce still sounds good and the other guys want to keep playing (and Rod wants to keep making money), I would have no issues with a fill-in touring drummer. Also, Steve says a lot of things.

Anyway, I'm not trying to bash Nicko and I think he still does a great job, I'm just trying to be realistic. I love Nicko and his contribution to Maiden is unbeatable. But I'm legitimately shocked at the number of people who choose No Maiden over Maiden without Nicko.
I would not like it at first, even hate it. But whoever the drummer is clicks with the band then I would be okay with it if that means a few more good years of Maiden.

it's about the music, not the musicians
But the musicians make the music.

That being said, I think that the only one who always has been 100% irreplaceable is Steve. He is Iron Maiden. But they are now in a moment of their career in which no one out of the six of them can be replaced, from a logical point of view. Should one of them stop, Iron Maiden is done. And I would be completely fine with it, it's been an incredible 47-years run now, from London's East End to the Long Beach Arena and Rio de Janeiro, from the Ruskin Arms to Donington, Wacken and all the stages all over the world.

The only differences with the live performances from the 80's are the voice of Bruce (which is better than his voice in the mid 80's) and the tempo of the songs. I wouldn't say that songs with two guitars sound different with three.
It wasn't a value judgement of sounding better or worse. It was the trivial and obvious fact that they sound different since there's a third guitar now that has to play something. Sometimes it doubles up another guitar, sometimes (like The Trooper or recently SOTC) there's a new harmony. Just saying that Maiden has never been about recreating the studio records 100%.

Bruce wanted to show off but couldn't sing high enough. So they tuned the song down from F# to E. Simple as that.
Which opens once again the age-old debate: why did they tune down Lord of the Flies for Bruce, only to let him sing the chorus higher more easily, but never tuned any song down for Blaze, even if he clearly struggled with songs out of his range?

But the musicians make the music.

That being said, I think that the only one who always has been 100% irreplaceable is Steve. He is Iron Maiden. But they are now in a moment of their career in which no one out of the six of them can be replaced, from a logical point of view. Should one of them stop, Iron Maiden is done. And I would be completely fine with it, it's been an incredible 47-years run now, from London's East End to the Long Beach Arena and Rio de Janeiro, from the Ruskin Arms to Donington, Wacken and all the stages all over the world.
I understand what you’re saying, but I would want them to continue as long as Steve and Bruce are in the band and they’re still inspired and capable of making good new Iron Maiden music.

The alternative is no more Iron Maiden, and I don’t like that.

Walking on Glass would be a waste of time, give me another song instead of 5 minutes of soloing, I don't care how good said solos are. There are, however, a number of songs they can play with long instrumental sections and easier vocal lines for Bruce, like The Parchment.

play the parchment dammit
In case it wasn't clear, my point of suggesting Walking on Glass to be played was precisely to occupy the spot of a song which Bruce, but primarily Nicko, couldn't bear unless they play Strange World—which is, sadly, as unlike as Walking on Glass.

(By the way, if they play Walking on Glass I'll go to the show, no matter what, should I walk there, I will be there).

Which opens once again the age-old debate: why did they tune down Lord of the Flies for Bruce, only to let him sing the chorus higher more easily, but never tuned any song down for Blaze, even if he clearly struggled with songs out of his range?
Great question. I'd love to hear Steve's side of the story on not tuning down for Blaze, which would've been a no-brainer decision to make even from a non-musician like me. Hearing Blaze sing Bruce-era songs on YouTube properly tuned down for his voice, I think he sounds great. I doubt Steve would ever answer that question, so it's probably going to be one of the great unsolved mysteries in the history of Maiden.

(By the way, if they play Walking on Glass I'll go to the show, no matter what, should I walk there, I will be there).
Would you walk on glass to get there?

Great question. I'd love to hear Steve's side of the story on not tuning down for Blaze, which would've been a no-brainer decision to make even from a non-musician like me. Hearing Blaze sing Bruce-era songs on YouTube properly tuned down for his voice, I think he sounds great. I doubt Steve would ever answer that question, so it's probably going to be one of the great unsolved mysteries in the history of Maiden.
Man, this is definitely one I'd ask if I had access to the man and I knew he would answer any question. It's a real weird thing.

Should Maiden start playing shorter and shorter gigs as they're getting older ?

The shortest gig I’ve ever seen them play was at Bospop festival in 2005. 90 minutes, no banter and little interaction with the audience, and they looked like they were in a hurry to finish the show and head to the airport.

This is Joe Lazarus playing Stratego and it's not the studio version. Is he rehearsing with the band? Probably...

Then there's this post:

1.PNG

At the end of the day if Maiden (Steve) feel like they have a lot left to offer and are not ready to bow out they will go on if Nicko was forced to sit out with his blessing.
Reality is we will all have mixed reactions even sadness Nicko is no longer a member, but the shows will continue to be packed out and dare I say will he even be missed back there once its show time and us fans are pumped as fuck seeing the other 5 members up front killing it? Most likely not.

Would you walk on glass to get there?

Man, this is definitely one I'd ask if I had access to the man and I knew he would answer any question. It's a real weird thing.
I think you would get a pretty disappointing answer. Something like “Maiden doesn’t tune down” or “we didn’t think to do that.” I doubt there’s a lot of thought that went into it, which IMO was a common problem in the Blaze era.

I think you would get a pretty disappointing answer. Something like “Maiden doesn’t tune down” or “we didn’t think to do that.” I doubt there’s a lot of thought that went into it, which IMO was a common problem in the Blaze era.
I don't think Steve is a particularly complex person. The deepest I figure we'd get from him was "well I didn't think we had to". Which brings up a bunch of follow-ups that might be more interesting.

I think there's an element of the band doing whatever keeps Bruce happy so that he doesn't leave again, because if he does that the band is 100% over.

There were definitely some weird things going on with Maiden during the Blaze era. I remember reading that they wouldn't let Blaze decide what was in his own monitor mix, an absolutely insane decision by the standard of ANY musician or sound engineer. A decision (along with the lack of tuning down) that sealed Blazes fate before they even played a note.

I think there's an element of the band doing whatever keeps Bruce happy so that he doesn't leave again, because if he does that the band is 100% over.

There were definitely some weird things going on with Maiden during the Blaze era. I remember reading that they wouldn't let Blaze decide what was in his own monitor mix, an absolutely insane decision by the standard of ANY musician or sound engineer. A decision (along with the lack of tuning down) that sealed Blazes fate before they even played a note.
and they played the songs really really fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back