The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it will be 2 years at most, like almost any other album tour.

Longer song for longer song is fair. ATSS is indeed a classic sounding Maiden song. It seems the situation with it was the same as with the inclusion of Blood Brothers for this year's tour. Infinite Dreams would sound great with the Reunion lineup (as we can hear from Nicko's solo shows). The 1988 live performances are really fast, as noted by Adrian. I hope they will play it again.

The tour promo video has a futuristic city (with Senjutsu Eddie) and SIASL as a music, so I'd say the stage will be similar to the scenes in this video. I just hope Nicko's drum kit to be ''Senjutsu-themed'' - the stage should reference the album with something noticeable.

Because it has a chorus? TEOD will fit Bruce's voice, methinks.

No. Me too. Isn't it strange.

I completely agree that every band member of the current lineup is irreplaceable.

And what's with Bruce's voice? He's still amazing live. Yeah, he had some problems with Aces High, but that's becasue it's the last song in the set. That's it. What else? The chorus of RTTH was difficult for him even in the 80's and imo he sings it better now.
The job of the drummer is the most difficult. Nicko's playing is a bit slower some nights, but no one is perfect show after show on these long tours. He still has pace and energy (check out the RIR show), so big kudos to him.

Trumpets Of Jericho has a very high chorus indeed.
he had problemas with aces high after 145 minutes singing. One of their hardest songs to sing at the end...

he had problemas with aces high after 145 minutes singing. One of their hardest songs to sing at the end...
We all know there is a very easy way to let Bruce rest his voice. And at the same time, to let Nicko too rest a bit. And which fits perfectly with the theme of the tour.

Play Walking on Glass.

Unfortunately, we also know that they’re not gonna do it.

im sure of the 5 songs from somewhere in time. CSIT HCW WY SIASL and Alexander. Im really hoping they do that stage change that they do nowadays starting with senjutsu stage and then change to SIT stage plus 4 classics

Walking on Glass would be a waste of time, give me another song instead of 5 minutes of soloing, I don't care how good said solos are. There are, however, a number of songs they can play with long instrumental sections and easier vocal lines for Bruce, like The Parchment.

play the parchment dammit
im thinking that they will one song of the 3 they are playing now.

For all of the hardcore “no Nicko, no Maiden” folks: how would you feel about something similar to what Priest has done with Glenn Tipton? Nicko would still be a proper member of the band, writing and recording any new material, but they’d get a touring drummer (and maybe Nicko could pop out for the encore every night).

This feels like a realistic compromise that Steve (Rod) might be willing to take in order to prolong the band’s touring career.

I wouldn't be that keen, but could only hope they'd treat Nicko's replacement better than Priest treat Andy Sneap.

Edit: Also, a thing I forgot to mention. Folks often mention that downtuning, even by a half step, won't feel right and will sound wrong, which is correct to an extent. On the other hand though, the songs nowadays sound different to the studio versions as well, let alone the break neck speeds of the early 80's or the 99 tour. Songs recorded with two guitars obviously sound different with three guitars. Bruce's voice sounds very different nowadays with a noticeably different timbre.
The only differences with the live performances from the 80's are the voice of Bruce (which is better than his voice in the mid 80's) and the tempo of the songs. I wouldn't say that songs with two guitars sound different with three.
idk, for example: the studio versions of the songs from TNOTB, Killers and IM are so different to how Nicko plays them today. I would be excited to have a drummer with a style more similar to Clive's if Nicko had to quit!
Nicko said he plays HBTN and TNOTB different. Every drummer put his own style in the songs. Nowadays they only play the 3 big classics from the first three albums.
For all of the hardcore “no Nicko, no Maiden” folks: how would you feel about something similar to what Priest has done with Glenn Tipton? Nicko would still be a proper member of the band, writing and recording any new material, but they’d get a touring drummer (and maybe Nicko could pop out for the encore every night).

This feels like a realistic compromise that Steve (Rod) might be willing to take in order to prolong the band’s touring career.
The Reunion lineup is magical, so I want to see just the 6 of them (plus Eddie) on the stage forever.

And Steve said (iirc) that this will be the final lineup of Maiden.
If Nicko or one of the guitarists decide to hang it up, I think Maiden should continue. In the end it's about the music, not the musicians. But that's just my opinion.
For me it's important which musicians play live. Especially with vocalists and recognizable drummers like Nicko. Steve too, it goes without saying. They are all special, but Nicko is one of the band's most special members imo. The fact that they have 3 guitarists doesn't mean they can easily be with 2 guitars again (remember how Steve wanted Richie Faulkner to be Maiden's 3rd guitarist in need). All of them are important for the band's direction after 2000 and with many songs from the 80's.
We all know there is a very easy way to let Bruce rest his voice. And at the same time, to let Nicko too rest a bit.
That's what the long instrumental sections of the epics are for. Drummers are always busy live.

Nah, I still say end it. I can't imagine Nicko would want to sit around all night and just pop in for the encore. How would that work with two drummers anyways?
The hired guy would just sit out the encore so that Nicko could drum.
Nicko has already said numerous times before that he will play until the band decides to leave. Bruce has said the same. So, for me, Nicko will stay and continue to play drums until he's 100 years old. :D
And in an ideal world, that sounds great. But if the shows start to suffer, a la the dirge tempo of Aces High, then I'd rather have 5 guys who sound great with some random drummer than 6 guys who sound slow and tired simply because Nicko wants to keep going.
The Reunion lineup is magical, so I want to see just the 6 of them (plus Eddie) on the stage forever.

And Steve said (iirc) that this will be the final lineup of Maiden.
Ideally, we'd all love to see that. But if Bruce still sounds good and the other guys want to keep playing (and Rod wants to keep making money), I would have no issues with a fill-in touring drummer. Also, Steve says a lot of things.

Anyway, I'm not trying to bash Nicko and I think he still does a great job, I'm just trying to be realistic. I love Nicko and his contribution to Maiden is unbeatable. But I'm legitimately shocked at the number of people who choose No Maiden over Maiden without Nicko.

And in an ideal world, that sounds great. But if the shows start to suffer, a la the dirge tempo of Aces High, then I'd rather have 5 guys who sound great with some random drummer than 6 guys who sound slow and tired simply because Nicko wants to keep going.
The ''problem'' with the tempo of Aces High (or RTTH or other songs) is because it's the last song in the set and because they're not young anymore. It's normal. Nicko is the oldest in the band, but he also plays faster during a fair amount of the shows (during his solo shows too). He is still playing at a great level. They are family, you can't replace a family member. They've said that if they can no longer perform at a good level, they will not continue. Everything depends on Nicko and Bruce. Nicko can't drastically change the drum patterns in the songs, and Bruce wants to sing the songs in their original key.

The ''problem'' with the tempo of Aces High (or RTTH or other songs) is because it's the last song in the set and because they're not young anymore. It's normal. Nicko is the oldest in the band, but he also plays faster during a fair amount of the shows (during his solo shows too). He is still playing at a great level. They are family, you can't replace a family member. They've said that if they can no longer perform at a good level, they will not continue. Everything depends on Nicko and Bruce. Nicko can't drastically change the drum patterns in the songs, and Bruce wants to sing the songs in their original key.
Instead of doing very fast songs as "Aces High" or "Run To The Hills", for example, they could play overlooked slower but heavier songs, as some tracks from 'Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son', 'No Prayer For The Dying', 'The X Factor', 'Virtual XI' or 'A Matter Of Life And Death', that people want to see played live once more.

The ''problem'' with the tempo of Aces High (or RTTH or other songs) is because it's the last song in the set and because they're not young anymore. It's normal. Nicko is the oldest in the band, but he also plays faster during a fair amount of the shows (during his solo shows too). He is still playing at a great level. They are family, you can't replace a family member. They've said that if they can no longer perform at a good level, they will not continue. Everything depends on Nicko and Bruce. Nicko can't drastically change the drum patterns in the songs
I have a hard time believing it's that they're just tired every show. It sounds 100% intentional to me, which would fit with what others have said in terms of Nicko using a click track. Which means it's intentional because the original tempo is too difficult for either Nicko or Bruce.
and Bruce Steve wants Bruce to sing the songs in their original key.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back