Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly I don't get the total boner most people have for the sound of the 80's albums? For the most part they sound thin and fucking OLD to me. Killers has a pretty good mix, but every other 80's album I listen to in spite of the production, not because of it.

Brave New World sounds very good to me. Big, loud, heavy, modern, in your face. The drums in particular are HUGE. There's actually some low end weight to it.

It is slightly muddy (could be fixed with a better mastering job) but easily the best sounding Maiden record by a long way imo.

The rest of the reunion era stuff hasn't sounded great, but that's really down to Steve imo.
Agregar Best álbum sound since reunión. BNW

Album announcement 15th July, with single and video. Album out in September. Semi-concept album about old testament/book of Daniel. Nicko retires after next year. No more beers and video games, Maiden will enter studio once a year. Bruce solo album and tour later this year. Covid over. Peace on earth. England wins euro 2020.
This is fucking happening. It's coming home!

Classic albums are untouchable. Every Birch produced album till NPFTD is pure MAGIC. Listen to them loud - ain't thin. All instruments are distinct and clear. Records are polished and there's no 'live in the studio' feel which i don't like. Maybe BNW is best produced reunion album, but compared to classic albums is in second league, imo. To me on that album Wicker Man sounds best. Ghost of the Navigator - guitars already muddy :facepalm:

i don't do vinyl just quality digital (FLAC). i don't dislike vinyl i just can't deal with the maintenance, pops/clicks/etc. but, yeah, i've got all the reissue cd's for the entire 80's canon...and i still feel BNW is the best-sounding album they've ever put out.
Im digressing now but ofc you feel bnw is the best if you only have reissues cause these sound bad too. You can dm me for some samples

Honestly I don't get the total boner most people have for the sound of the 80's albums? For the most part they sound thin and fucking OLD to me. Killers has a pretty good mix, but every other 80's album I listen to in spite of the production, not because of it.

Brave New World sounds very good to me. Big, loud, heavy, modern, in your face. The drums in particular are HUGE. There's actually some low end weight to it.

It is slightly muddy (could be fixed with a better mastering job) but easily the best sounding Maiden record by a long way imo.

The rest of the reunion era stuff hasn't sounded great, but that's really down to Steve imo.
muddy? really?? what are you listening to it through? it's the punch yet clean delineation between guitars, bass, drums, cymbals...just the sheen and total lack of muck...that really makes the album kill for me.
Classic albums are untouchable. Every Birch produced album till NPFTD is pure MAGIC. Listen to them loud - ain't thin. All instruments are distinct and clear. Records are polished and there's no 'live in the studio' feel which i don't like. Maybe BNW is best produced reunion album, but compared to classic albums is in second league, imo. To me on that album Wicker Man sounds best. Ghost of the Navigator - guitars already muddy :facepalm:
Yes, I do agree that those older albums sound really good *turned up*...most of the 80's stuff sounded like crap low better much louder...it was designed to be played loud with no compression. Everyone started using compression in the 90's to "equalize" all the instruments so you could hear everything on like crappy car radio systems. BNW is, production wise, a James Cameron level blockbuster...you can hear the attention to detail and thoughtful mixing to get it all just right. Clearly, even Steve was on board for taking the time to get it all just so. Then they were back - and HUGE - and he stopped caring again (at least that's my interpretation). Anyway, I've played that album so many times on so many good (and bad) systems and everything sounds perfect to me...zero mud. Just listen to the lilting dance/interplay of Steve's bass against the guitar riffs on title track. Magic. They don't nail it like that on subsequent albums sonics-wise (to me). But, hey we can agree to disagree ! Nobody is bitching about the music on that baby, right? If Maiden produced one more album that reached those heights again, I'd die happy...

I hope that pandemic forced them to prepare better mix. Since live shows are unlikely for unknown period of time maybe they focused more on quality and less on trying to catch live feeling.

Since live shows are unlikely for unknown period of time maybe they focused more on quality and less on trying to catch live feeling.
I'm not sure if they've abandoned the ''live feel'' in the studio, but the mix should be good (given how much time they had).

I hope that pandemic forced them to prepare better mix. Since live shows are unlikely for unknown period of time maybe they focused more on quality and less on trying to catch live feeling.
It looked like the album was in the can before the pandemic hit so it's doubtful

But it is possible they went back and touched things up with all the extra time they ended up having

I still don't get the Guillaume Tell portion. Apparently the apple (part of the studio's logo), the river (it's close to the Seine) and the capital (Paris?) mentioned in the rimes, plus Daniel's reference "... Willem. Tell..." relate to the studio in Paris.
And to add Kevin Shirley's post about wiring the Atmos system there.
Why would they refer to something in the past (the recording of the album)? We don't really care that much if the album was recorded in Guillaume Tell or in Compass Point or in SARM studios. The whole things more like points that something is going to take place there.
My opinion, of course!

I think they are playing along with the idea that people haven't figured out that it's an album yet, so they are "revealing" that a studio is involved with the news that is coming on 15/07. Basically, drip feeding more information that points towards the big news being an album.

Honestly. I wish Maiden would just put out a press release with album information and news like any other band. All of the hints and whatnot reminds me of the clusterfuck that was Benjamin Breeg in 2006 which ultimately had nothing to do with anything and definitely no significance with regards to the album as a whole :lol: Hopefully they've thought things more through this time!

Last edited:
They didn't even correct the mistakes in BOS. Like the dead note on Speed of Light. So i doubt they would bother

TBOS has some horrible, unmatched low moments, production-wise. The really BAD guitar sounds on the Intro/outro of WTRRD, a "mixing engine tool click" sound during the second half of the title-track are just 2 of the most annoying examples, as far as I'm concerned. TFF is another planet, production-wise, hope to have something like that, quality-wise, for IM17.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back