The Future Past Tour 2024

Is there any song that they play below album tempo live right now?
FOTD and HCW (minus the break down parts), Trooper.

Edit: But its just a bit slower, wont compromise the live experience.

Edit 2: The most noticeable thing for die hard fans is the nicko's lack of intensity on the drums. But again, IMO i think this not compromise the show.

Edit 2: The most noticeable thing for die hard fans is the nicko's lack of intensity on the drums. But again, IMO i think this not compromise the show.
Heaven can wait from Adelaide sounds pretty fast, and yeah trooper of course but not much.

TBH, FOTD has been performed slower than the album version for years now.

Last edited:
I find the studio version of FOTB unbearable. Live, with tempo changes, they add some atmosphere. The studio track is bland.
I'm actually going through the song commentaries and wrote out my FOTD critiques today, posting them as we speak lol
Most live versions are magical and superior to the studio version, but I prefer the studio one to the recent live performances since they slowed it down.

I'm actually going through the song commentaries and wrote out my FOTD critiques today, posting them as we speak lol
Most live versions are magical and superior to the studio version, but I prefer the studio one to the recent live performances since they slowed it down.
Partly agree, but would still take any live version over the studio one, which I kinda hate, especially because of Bruce's uninspired vocals.

The definitive version of FOTD IMO is either the Rock In Rio one or the one that appears on Best Of The Beast (live in Helsinki 92). They knew why they put that one on the Best Of The Beast instead of the studio one.

Partly agree, but would still take any live version over the studio one, which I kinda hate, especially because of Bruce's uninspired vocals.

The definitive version of FOTD IMO is either the Rock In Rio one or the one that appears on Best Of The Beast (live in Helsinki 92). They knew why they put that one on the Best Of The Beast instead of the studio one.
Mine is the Helsinki one by far (originally on ARLO, then BotB ). The (bass, mostly) bounce in the midsection got captured really well there, and I've never heard a comparable version since. Doesn't help that Bruce often makes the song a bit of a parody in later years with the over-the-top spooky laugh.

Last edited:
You can add Wasted Years, Nicko's playing on SIT album is just something else. Maybe on some other song/s too. It's interesting that so far Maiden recorded their songs a bit slower in the studio and played them faster live. FOTD is slower than usual. I like both versions, live is magical ofc, but I prefer it a bit faster. Agreed with your additional comments, although it is noticeable, but that is normal. Overall, Nicko's intensity/groove is more of an issue, not much the missing fills/cymbals hits on almost all songs.
What if they replace Senjutsu songs with hits (Rime, Moonchild, 2 Min etc) but keep the SiT songs to make it proper 50th anniversay = Somewhere Back in Time and Future Past.
Please no. That would be one of the worst case scenarios, at least for me. Never mind the stage set. Just do a brand new tour with a brand new theme, stage and list of songs. This is what is expected and logical. I guess the options aren't many now, but they have an excuse for a theme for next year, one that won't limit themselves with the choice of songs for a 3rd tour in a row. Serious lack of ideas, I really hope not.

If it's one of their last tours, don't expect them to play many songs from 90's or some obscure post reunion songs. They will surely go Hits route. Rime and Powerslave would be ideal for me.

I think it's time to open a show with Be Quick or Be Dead. Aces High is overplayed, and Bruce is having hard time with it. Caught Somewhere is great but it's obviously for Future Past. Enough of Moonchild too. Number of the Beast was a good surprise in Give Me Ed tour but not an ideal one to open. Wicker Man, Wildest Dreams or Different World etc wont work at a history tour. So it must be Be Quick. Please : )

Back