The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no universe in all the infinite universes where Gates of tomorrow and Age of Innocence should be played live
I love Gates of Tomorrow >:/ I honestly enjoy Dance of Death much more than A Matter of Life and Death. It doesn’t feel as long to me and is an easier listen, even with the songs no one talks about on side B (Gates of Tomorrow, Age of Innocence, New Frontier). They are different sounding than the “usual” reunion era Maiden songs.

I love Age of Innocence! Shame about the lyrics but it doesn't tarnish my enjoyment of it. One of my favourite Dave solos too.

So as I understand during AMOLAD tour for example FTGGOG was well received and crowd was singing it, but for some reason during LotB tour the crowd was not into it anymore (energy levels dropped etc).
And I am not arguing ticket sales weren't great. Ticket sales were and still are great because it's Maiden. And I'm not arguing it wasn't great tour for dedicated fans. It was and I wish I could participated that show.
But to say that people were amazed is same as to say people were amazed that Maiden played Death Of the Celts. Yeah, some may have enjoyed it, but for majority it left them cold.
FTGGOG was played in a Hits setlist the second time. Of course, people will be amazed when a band plays their entire new album live. DOTC is like TRATB, some crowds enjoy it, some not so much. Both are very good live songs imo.
IMHO, a song like The Nomad would have done the job better than Death Of The Celts... Some verses fit perfectly to the theme of time :
Maybe, but it's a song from the new album, so it fits in on its own right.
Bruce would never remember the words
I'm really curious if they rehearsed it. Maybe they thought DOTC is a better live song and Parchment has a lot of lyrics?

people, i have an extra ticket for antwerp, couldnt find any topic related to ticket sale. it's a ticket from tribune (SECTION147 ROW27). price is same and it's the seat next to me if it matters. :) if there is another topic about this, please remind me and i'll erase.

2) It was an immense fun to see Maiden taking a challenge, as this whole setlist is one. I can't remember when for the last time I saw Maiden not with a feeling they just turn up and work. Of course one can (and should) have fun with the job to do, no doubt they had a lot of fun on previous tours, but this time it's so much different. It feels like band and us are sharing a common ground, a common new field. They go to new territories and are taking us with them - for them it's new and for us too, it's a collective experience we are sharing together - band and fans. There's things to discover for them and for us at the same time. And I take this as a real gift. And for that reason this is the most spiritual Maiden tour I ever witnessed (from 1990 on).

This.

I don't think this is being stressed enough - the band could just go and play the songs they played a million times over and the concerts would still be appreciated, the fans would still be happy, the tickets would still sell.

But they actually do try to get out of their comfort zone - relearning older, more obscure songs like Sign of the Cross (which was obviously not as easy for them to do, I remember there were some rhythmic shenanigans) for the previous tour or Afraid to Shoot Strangers which I actually saw live and now relearning Alexander from scratch... They didn't have to do this. They're taking a risk. They are being harder on themselves than they'd have to be.
I respect that.

The same could be with Dream Of Mirrors :

"Have you ever felt the future is the past"

"A reflected dream of a captured time"

"Think I've heard your voice before, Think I've said these words before"

And so on...

Any reason to dust off Dream of Mirrors is a good reason.

There is no universe in all the infinite universes where Gates of tomorrow and Age of Innocence should be played live
Hell no. Gates Of Tomorrow is a genuine 10/10 for me, Age Of Innoecence would be as well if not for the lyrics, taking a point off for a 9/10. Musically it's brilliant.

“Death of the Celts” is harder to memorize than “The Parchment”.
The Parchment has 359 words, DOTC 331. The latter also features somewhat simpler language, so no, The Parchment is definitely harder to memorize.

Hopefully, 'Arry will try to accommodate Bruce on the next album.

I already said this about The Time Machine, but they could have made it much easier for them (and us) if the choruses would all go

A death of the Celts
In a death of the Celts
A death of the Celts
In a death of the Celts

In a death of the Celts
A death of the Celts
In a death of the Celts
A death of the Celts

The Parchment has 359 words, DOTC 331. The latter also features somewhat simpler language, so no, The Parchment is definitely harder to memorize.
Nah. I memorized “The Parchment” a long time ago, “Death of the Celts” with its twisted rhyming is still rough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back