The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have hard time believeing that the concert goers during AMOLAD tour were enthusiastic.
Considering, how many of you have described Death of the Celts going down like a wet fart in a two man submarine. And that same description about FTGGOG during LotB tour. I think it's more of a case making memories better than they actually were.
I'm not denying it was great tour, an historic tour for us Maiden nerds and I would have loved to witness that show. But to tell that majority of people were satisfied with setlist is a delusion.
I guess if back then there would have been so many users as today, people would have complained that this and that song doesn't work live. It's not a perfect setlist (e.g. I don't care that they played whole album, they should have played Paschendaele instead of Fear, and Aces instead 2 minutes beacause it fits the theme if tour) there are so few backdrops and so on and so on.
Anyway, that's the way I see it, feel free to disagree.
I havent't heard any complaints about the setlist back then. Saw two shows of the 2006 tour and people were amazed that the entire album was played. I really didn't notice any complaints.

I can say I wasn't old enough to remember anything after Book Of Souls when it comes to Iron Maiden (which is among my least fav Maiden albums along with AMOLAD and no prayer). I do remember however reading about the displeasure of fans when they played the entire album live, Bruce tearing apart a play classics sign, that they didn't play beast, hills and trooper, etc.

I will however say that making long songs doesn't make them progressive, Maiden had many progressive songs and albums in the 80's like Rime and the whole SiT album, these albums/songs could justify their length and did not overstay their welcome, they were also limited to one vinyl disc back then which was a blessing for Maiden. AMOLAD is not memorable or interesting, where are the harmonies, the great riffs, the hooks?
I saw the at Earls Court in 2006 and still remains on of my fav Maiden gigs. But then again i love AMOLAD

Was at the Irvine California AMOLAD show. Yes there were some grumblings of “wait what the fu$@? They’re playing the entire album? This is bullshite!” Like early on.
But as the show progressed, and tanks binoculars and kick arse metal took over, this crap ended. For most of us, it never started. What an excellent experience this was. I’m so glad I got to witness this banger of an album in its entirety. The friends and family In my Maiden orbit that didn’t attend AMOLAD shows, are quite jealous!
Now if only they had done the same for Dance of Death!!!

Last edited:
I havent't heard any complaints about the setlist back then. Saw two shows of the 2006 tour and people were amazed that the entire album was played. I really didn't notice any complaints.
So as I understand during AMOLAD tour for example FTGGOG was well received and crowd was singing it, but for some reason during LotB tour the crowd was not into it anymore (energy levels dropped etc).
And I am not arguing ticket sales weren't great. Ticket sales were and still are great because it's Maiden. And I'm not arguing it wasn't great tour for dedicated fans. It was and I wish I could participated that show.
But to say that people were amazed is same as to say people were amazed that Maiden played Death Of the Celts. Yeah, some may have enjoyed it, but for majority it left them cold.

Maiden played Death Of the Celts. Yeah, some may have enjoyed it, but for majority it left them cold.
I was really fine with DOTC. Sure, there could have been other choices that would have been more interesting to the one or other among the crowd, but all in all was a great fun. Mostly for two reasons:

1) What would be the alternative to the DOTC slot in the setlist? The Clansman again? That would be a total effortless anticlimax in such a setlist if you'd ask me.

2) It was an immense fun to see Maiden taking a challenge, as this whole setlist is one. I can't remember when for the last time I saw Maiden not with a feeling they just turn up and work. Of course one can (and should) have fun with the job to do, no doubt they had a lot of fun on previous tours, but this time it's so much different. It feels like band and us are sharing a common ground, a common new field. They go to new territories and are taking us with them - for them it's new and for us too, it's a collective experience we are sharing together - band and fans. There's things to discover for them and for us at the same time. And I take this as a real gift. And for that reason this is the most spiritual Maiden tour I ever witnessed (from 1990 on).

Last edited:
Just watched a couple of AtG recordings of different shows. He seems to be the highlight guitarist of this tour, but man… Adrian is a beast. He carries 85% of this song on his back.

1) What would be the alternative to the DOTC slot in the setlist? The Clansman again? That would be a total effortless anticlimax in such a setlist if you'd ask me.
IMHO, a song like The Nomad would have done the job better than Death Of The Celts... Some verses fit perfectly to the theme of time :

"Nomad, rider of the ancient east"

"No one's certain what your future will behold"

"Legend has it that you speak an ancient tongue"

"Others say that you will die and live again"

The same could be with Dream Of Mirrors :

"Have you ever felt the future is the past"

"A reflected dream of a captured time"

"Think I've heard your voice before, Think I've said these words before"

And so on...

Last edited:
Was at the Irvine California AMOLAD show. Yes there were grumbling a felon some of “wait what the fu$@? They’re playing the entire album? This is bullshite!” Like early on.
But as the show progressed, and tanks binoculars and kick arse metal took over, this crap ended. For most of us, it never started. What an excellent experience this was. I’m so glad I got to witness this banger of an album in its entirety. The friends and family I’m my Maiden orbit that didn’t attend AMOLAD shows, are quite jealous!
Now if only they had done the same for Dance of Death!!!
There is no universe in all the infinite universes where Gates of tomorrow and Age of Innocence should be played live

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back