The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
The disappointment was pretty much from the casual "yeah, I listen to 80's Maiden" crowd. That album was very well received by fans and critics alike. They played 3 nights at the Globe arena here in Sweden (around 45 k in attendance, which is in line with 2005 and onwards); it was my first rock concert and it was awesome. I will say though that as usual, the heat got turned up when they played the handful of classics towards the end, but it was a well received tour, regardless of what a loud minority would have you believe. Iron Maiden played an entire album live and the fans ate it up.

That was my impression at both London gigs on that tour.

I can say I wasn't old enough to remember anything after Book Of Souls when it comes to Iron Maiden (which is among my least fav Maiden albums along with AMOLAD and no prayer). I do remember however reading about the displeasure of fans when they played the entire album live, Bruce tearing apart a play classics sign, that they didn't play beast, hills and trooper, etc.

I will however say that making long songs doesn't make them progressive, Maiden had many progressive songs and albums in the 80's like Rime and the whole SiT album, these albums/songs could justify their length and did not overstay their welcome, they were also limited to one vinyl disc back then which was a blessing for Maiden. AMOLAD is not memorable or interesting, where are the harmonies, the great riffs, the hooks?I
I remember it quite differently, the show I went to (Zurich in early december 2006), fans were really into it and seem to appreciate each and every song and in general the feeling was that it was a great album and very well welcomed. Of course there was always some with the "its not the same as it was...so it sucks" speech but it was a minority. Oh and by the way the "play classics sign happened at one single gig!
For me I just look at it as the natural progression from BNW to DoD...just done better. Where in BNW they seemed to try to please everyone with different songs, then DoD that had some amazing songs and some filler, but with AMOLAD, not a weak song (well maybe Different world because it sound a bit forced), a lot of hooks (sorry to disagree) and an exceptional musicianship and some of the best songs from the 00's (BTATS, FTGGOG, The Legacy).

Am I right in thinking that it was announced ahead of the shows that the album would be played in full on that tour?
I seem to remember this was the case. Plus it was all over the internet news sites at the time. You couldn’t really avoid that spoiler.

It was a great show. I remember it finishing late (the backstage fire at Earl’s Court), and legging it across Westminster Bridge to get the last train home. It was freezing!

I can say I wasn't old enough to remember anything after Book Of Souls when it comes to Iron Maiden (which is among my least fav Maiden albums along with AMOLAD and no prayer). I do remember however reading about the displeasure of fans when they played the entire album live, Bruce tearing apart a play classics sign, that they didn't play beast, hills and trooper, etc.

The displeasure and Play Classics! incident were more in US, in Europe it was well received, as people realised that this was history in the making and seized the moment.
I consider it my best Maiden concert and many others do treasure attending that particular tour too.

I have hard time believeing that the concert goers during AMOLAD tour were enthusiastic.
Considering, how many of you have described Death of the Celts going down like a wet fart in a two man submarine. And that same description about FTGGOG during LotB tour. I think it's more of a case making memories better than they actually were.
I'm not denying it was great tour, an historic tour for us Maiden nerds and I would have loved to witness that show. But to tell that majority of people were satisfied with setlist is a delusion.
I guess if back then there would have been so many users as today, people would have complained that this and that song doesn't work live. It's not a perfect setlist (e.g. I don't care that they played whole album, they should have played Paschendaele instead of Fear, and Aces instead 2 minutes beacause it fits the theme if tour) there are so few backdrops and so on and so on.
Anyway, that's the way I see it, feel free to disagree.

They were more than content enough to buy tickets, knowing the album would make up for most of the setlist, show up and rock out to a "hit album", whatever that meant for Heavy Metal in 2006. By extention, it's easy to argue that the majority is only satisfied enough by the history tours; Maiden always play a large chunk of whatever new album anyway.

Last edited:
So, are we expecting a live album from the two London shows?
They will probably use recordings from them.
it's probably the last album where they gave 100% instead of half arsing everything (just my opinion!)
I don't think that was the case with TBOS. Only The Red And The Black could have been shorter.
AMOLAD is not memorable or interesting, where are the harmonies, the great riffs, the hooks?
Not memorable or interesting? Wow. Harmonies: Different World, Longest Day, Benjamin, FTGGOG, Legacy. Great riffs: BTATS, Benjamin, Lord, Different World, Pilgrim. Hooks: Different World, BTATS, OOTS, FTGGOG. And - Bruce's vocals are so good.
I have hard time believeing that the concert goers during AMOLAD tour were enthusiastic.
Considering, how many of you have described Death of the Celts going down like a wet fart in a two man submarine. And that same description about FTGGOG during LotB tour. I think it's more of a case making memories better than they actually were.
I'm not denying it was great tour, an historic tour for us Maiden nerds and I would have loved to witness that show. But to tell that majority of people were satisfied with setlist is a delusion.
Maybe you're right, but for many fans it was great. Look at the reaction to the BNW and DOD songs on their live releases - just awesome! And Maiden played 6 new songs from both. The 2006 tour was a bold and unique move from the band, they could have easily played one of their classic albums in full instead. And honestly, AMOALD has some difficult songs to play live, but it's like SJ (and BNW) imo, every song deserves to be played live. It's that strong. Plus Maiden played a lot of their old classics between 1999-2005.

Saw the show on Sweden rock, blown away by the setlist and especially bruce and Adrian! I also catched Steves wristband :D Planning on scoring tickets for the Dortmund show on the 25th, do you think they’ll release more tickets like in London or on the same day?

Saw the show on Sweden rock, blown away by the setlist and especially bruce and Adrian! I also catched Steves wristband :D Planning on scoring tickets for the Dortmund show on the 25th, do you think they’ll release more tickets like in London or on the same day?
Very likely. Maybe a few days before the gig, but you have to be very quick.

I guess if back then there would have been so many users as today, people would have complained that this and that song doesn't work live. It's not a perfect setlist (e.g. I don't care that they played whole album, they should have played Paschendaele instead of Fear, and Aces instead 2 minutes beacause it fits the theme if tour) there are so few backdrops and so on and so on.
Anyway, that's the way I see it, feel free to disagree.
Not really, as stated before, been reading forums back then and if some people were surprised, there wasn't a lot of complaints. And as for my personal experience, in Zurich, the audience was really into it. So not making memories better than they were, just stating what they really were. For sure, it wasn't the perfect show for nostalgics that think that Maiden stopped writing songs in 1988 but for the other fans, not sure there were really a lot that were disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back