TBOS Predictions

Thanks for the feedback! I also would love to have a good album. But it seems I put the bar a bit higher (as with previous albums) than you guys. I think it needs to be more different in order to satisfy me. It's not easy to define that difference, but I have tried when I talked about the 21st century Stevized aspects. Apparently most people (if not all) had less or no trouble with these aspects in the past, so they won't have a problem if it will happen again. The funny thing is that I expect it will happen less, thus the album will break "new" ground. So, I wonder if the people who do not mind these aspects can tolerate the lack of these aspects (the large chunk without-Steve material). We'll see!

How big a difference do you want? Powerslave --> Somewhere In Time? Or something radical, like the difference between the two Blaze albums?

I feel like there's a good chance that this album will break new ground. Just on the basis of the song titles/writing credits and the theme of the album (which should lend itself well to some musical exploration) but I'm also pretty positive that in other aspects it will be a continuation of the last three albums....So, I expect to be wowed in places but I also expect a lot of familiarity in the songs. If the album is as solid as AMOLAD (and breaks new ground as that album did) I'll be happy with it :)

Well, different or not, i believe that this one is going to be a great album for many reasons. The main one is that the duration of the album and the writing credits indicates that the band had plenty of time to compose new material. In the last album (as Bruce said in the making of documentary) they only had two weeks to write new songs. It's a great thing that this time every member contributed more than the previus albums and gave Steve the chance to combine all his ideas in one song and not split them in 7-8 songs just to get the album done. Just in theory at least :)

Thanks for the feedback! I also would love to have a good album. But it seems I put the bar a bit higher (as with previous albums) than you guys. I think it needs to be more different in order to satisfy me. It's not easy to define that difference, but I have tried when I talked about the 21st century Stevized aspects. Apparently most people (if not all) had less or no trouble with these aspects in the past, so they won't have a problem if it will happen again. The funny thing is that I expect it will happen less, thus the album will break "new" ground. So, I wonder if the people who do not mind these aspects can tolerate the lack of these aspects (the large chunk without-Steve material). We'll see!

I think with this forum it's the Adrian-less tracks that people are prone to be less tolerant of. ;)

How big a difference do you want? Powerslave --> Somewhere In Time? Or something radical, like the difference between the two Blaze albums?
Although not easy to answer, I like this question. Here "some" thoughts which zoom in literally on the albums you just mentioned. After that I'll come back to the upcoming album.

I notice you mention two albums done by the same line-up. One duo in a tremendously popular era and the other in the band's least popular momentum.

The difference between Powerslave and Somewhere in Time is especially more focus on melody. This can both be heard in the vocal lines and in the instrumentation. E.g., in Sea of Madness there's so much melodic brilliance going on. More synth(esized guitars and bass) was quite a difference as well. Perhaps that also boosted the product, giving a fuller sound. Obviously another difference is that the second album did not feature a Bruce credit. To be honest, it doesn't make the album less for me. Harris and Smith were at their best and the Murray/Harris track is a song I rate very, very high as well. A wonderful burst of melodic and energetic catchiness floating on a fantastic river of drums, done with utmost feel. Nicko's playing (and production) is stellar, on the whole album. Really a great feat. Almost Peartish like on Moving Pictures, which means I can erase the rest of the music, and completely focus on what the drummer does, and have a lot of fun listening like that. He must have felt excellent while recording this.

The two Blaze albums mark different changes. More radical in "less is more". Compared to its predecessor, Virtual XI has a smaller amount of songs, a smaller album length and also song length. The less is more comes back in the drums: The drums are constrained. Not per se simple stuff to play, but less fun to listen to, because it is not so adventurous in the breaks. There are hardly any breaks. Nicko mainly plays rhythm. A change that I've found less easy to appreciate is a decrease in performance. I am talking especially about Blaze and Nicko. Blaze did hit and miss. He really is stellar in e.g. Futureal but especially in the intros of Lightning Strikes Twice and The Educated Fool. But I do have a problem with some (in my ears) out of tune moments (or at least not pleasant sounding vocals) in When Two Worlds Collide, Como Estais Amigos and even a small moment in The Clansman. In this case, less is not more. It is less. This probably had to do with working less on the album. If I remember Blaze's biography well, the band worked long on The X-Factor and short on Virtual XI. Additionally I am not happy with Nicko's muppet style drumming in the fast part of DLTTEOAS.

Now The Final Frontier (and the other current line-up albums) and The Book of Souls. Of course, all this is entirely my experience, and I can imagine if others do not agree with some of the statements.

Do I want more melody in the vocals? While The Final Frontier had some strong vocal melodies in e.g. Starblind, The Alchemist, Isle of Avalon, Mother of Mercy or Wild Wind, The Talisman was a let down for me. I do not want a song with such lack of variation in the couplets and choruses anymore. So, more consideration on the vocal department please.

Melodies in the guitars? I was very pleased with the guitar solos by Adrian Smith and some mighy melodic passages (soloing Starblind, this passage in Starblind, Beginning / couplets Mother of Mercy / The Alchemist / Isle of Avalon). Also The Man Who Would Be King did quite well. At least as good would be good enough for me.

More synths? I don't think I would want more of it. Not at least the sound they've been using on the last albums. My favouite synth sound is the eery SSOASS sound, or the sound of Somewhere in Time, but using these could have a disadvantage as well, because it may remind us too much of these albums. I'd be OK with having the same amount or less synth. I am not against a piano. I totally love Man of Sorrows (probably because of that mindblowing vocal melody on top) so let's see if Bruce can beat that.

Less Bruce in the credits like on Somewhere in Time? Not going to happen, more Bruce and I don't think I will complain about that. This can lead to something fresh! Let it happen.

An unbelievably great Harris only song? That didn't happen since Blood on the World's Hands. Everything he did afterwards by himself was good or very good, but not that stellar, or bad (No More Lies). Not hoping for too much here.

Smith only songs? Not going to happen, but we get Smith/Dickinson songs and that's something new again. I am hoping for some buttkicking stuff.

The best ever Murray/Harris collaboration? I don't think Deja-Vu can be passed, so I am not counting on anything as stellar as that. The last song in which Murray was involved that made an HUGE impression was Brave New World and til this day I rate it as the best post-TXF-song. It was a long time ago, so.. not holding my breath. Let them surprise me and prove me wrong.

Nicko? These days I prefer to see him as a drummer with a cool groove. I think he is a lot in his element during slower stuff like Rime in the Ancient Mariner, Hallowed Be Thy Name (during couplets) and I am hoping for more songs in that tempo. Wild Wind had such a tempo and it was good! I also hope for some surprises. Maybe more percussion style drumming as in Fortunes of War or Childhood's End or less obvious patterns as in The Fugitive or Blood on the World's Hands, or stimulating percussive rhythms as in Seventh Son of a Seventh Son or To Tame a Land, adding toms and snares in an otherwise "normal" rhythm pattern. This may suit a tribal theme. And it gives an extra touch to the music. So no more less is more please. More is more.

Vocal performance (apart from vocal melodies). I hope Bruce sounds less strained as on The Final Frontier, but even if this doesn't change much, I can take it. I am more busy with the melodic lines and the way the vocals fit the music.

Now to the essence of what I hope the album will not have, or at least: kept to a minimum:
The strength of all 1980s and 1990s albums (one or two exceptions on VXI perhaps) is that there was no recycling. In my ears at least, I didn't have as many "a ha! I heard that before" or "this reminds me of an earlier track" moments as on the last albums.
If The Book of Souls will walk enough new paths (taking a new or fresh direction), then I will also tolerate more recycling. But ideally:
- no recycling, or else not that obvious
- at least as many strong melodies (I admit that a strong melody is hard to define. It is a personal thing I guess)
- variation in the vocals (more variation as e.g. in The Talisman couplets; con-stant-ly the same freaking notes. 22 times!)

Last edited:
Really?!A Brave new World.....in a brave new workd.....a brave new world......in a brave new world....*commits suicide*

A lot of fantastic points made by foro. I will just agree to agree with all. The part about the 80s songs and their originality and lack of repetition/ recycling really stands out.
There is something else intangible about piece of mind/ssoss/ps/sit/ that is hard for a laymen like me to describe. It seems like the melodies just interacted with the choruses differently. And the solos matched the rest of the song with more precision. The structure of the songs are seamless.
Not every song mind you. And there are many moments in the reunion that have this. But it isn't nearly as frequent.

It took two tries to get through that wall of text. Foroly done, Foro. :smartarse:

Some good ideas there. No offense, but I personally think it's silly to have expectations that detailed. I have no idea what will be on the album and I'm fine with that. I'll like it (very probable) or I won't (in which unlikely case I shall remember that Adrian Smith Is Larger Than Me, and wait for the 17th album.)

I have NOT heard the album.This "review" are just for fun but i belive it's true ;)
So this is that i think after "hearing" it a couple of times in my fantasy.
Again: I have NOT heard the album for real.

1. Eternity of Souls - Cool song! Heavy and have a little black sabbath felling in it. 8/10

2. Sped Of Light - A classic Maiden song.Sounds like the wicker man part 2 but better! 9/10

3. The Great Unknown - Here it is.One of the highligts on the album.Holy shit! This i so great
it's crazy! I've got a rime of the ancient mariner feeling in the middle of the song.
Fucking awesome! 10/10

4. The Red And The Black - Hmm... strange song.Very progressive.The intro
is way to long.This track grows for every listening 8/10

5. When The River Runs Deep - I really like the riffs on this one.Reminds me of another song
but i cant'say what song it is. An ordinary Maiden song.Not bad but...well i give it a 7/10

6. The Book Od Souls - Heavy as Fuck!! Awesome song maaaan! Maybe the intro is a bit to long
but it really doesn't matter.I like Harris classic "clucking" and progressive bass play around
6:40 - 7:50.But the choirs....THE CHOIRS!!! So fucking big epic and beautiful CHOIRS!!!
Just amazing! The hairs on my arms stands up many times every time i listening to it and i
see myself in he livingroom mirror having a big smile! 10/10

7. Death Or Glory - Cool duelling guitars on this fast rocker! No bullshit.
Aces high comes to mind then listeningto it but of course, it's not THAT good but very good that's for sure. 8/10

8. Shadows of The Walley - Reminds a bit of fear of the dark but more evil.Cool song. 8/10

9. Tears of A Clown - The filler on the album.Adrians guitar solo are great but that's it.
Not a bad song, maybe it grows with time but so far it's the worst song on TBOS. 5/10

10. The Man of Sorrows - BEAUTIFUL! Very sensitive guitarwork from Dave Murray and Bruce
vocals are just fantasic. 9/10

11. Empire Of Clouds - What a perfect ending on this awesome album! I totally knocked out
and speechless! I have never heard Bruce singing from the heart this way before.
The music is heavy,fast,soft,beautiful and cool at the same time. 10/10

I have NOT heard the album.This "review" are just for fun but i belive it's true ;)
So this is that i think after "hearing" it a couple of times in my fantasy.
Again: I have NOT heard the album for real.

1. Eternity of Souls - Cool song! Heavy and have a little black sabbath felling in it. 8/10

2. Sped Of Light - A classic Maiden song.Sounds like the wicker man part 2 but better! 9/10

3. The Great Unknown - Here it is.One of the highligts on the album.Holy shit! This i so great
it's crazy! I've got a rime of the ancient mariner feeling in the middle of the song.
Fucking awesome! 10/10

4. The Red And The Black - Hmm... strange song.Very progressive.The intro
is way to long.This track grows for every listening 8/10

5. When The River Runs Deep - I really like the riffs on this one.Reminds me of another song
but i cant'say what song it is. An ordinary Maiden song.Not bad but...well i give it a 7/10

6. The Book Od Souls - Heavy as Fuck!! Awesome song maaaan! Maybe the intro is a bit to long
but it really doesn't matter.I like Harris classic "clucking" and progressive bass play around
6:40 - 7:50.But the choirs....THE CHOIRS!!! So fucking big epic and beautiful CHOIRS!!!
Just amazing! The hairs on my arms stands up many times every time i listening to it and i
see myself in he livingroom mirror having a big smile! 10/10

7. Death Or Glory - Cool duelling guitars on this fast rocker! No bullshit.
Aces high comes to mind then listeningto it but of course, it's not THAT good but very good that's for sure. 8/10

8. Shadows of The Walley - Reminds a bit of fear of the dark but more evil.Cool song. 8/10

9. Tears of A Clown - The filler on the album.Adrians guitar solo are great but that's it.
Not a bad song, maybe it grows with time but so far it's the worst song on TBOS. 5/10

10. The Man of Sorrows - BEAUTIFUL! Very sensitive guitarwork from Dave Murray and Bruce
vocals are just fantasic. 9/10

11. Empire Of Clouds - What a perfect ending on this awesome album! I totally knocked out
and speechless! I have never heard Bruce singing from the heart this way before.
The music is heavy,fast,soft,beautiful and cool at the same time. 10/10
You already posted this in The Book of Souls thread. :confused:

I think with TBOS I'm expecting the unexpected. I do believe we will enjoy the best album of the reunion . It just looks massive. I'm not worried about the 'flow' of this album at all. I expect each song to stand alone and be unique in its own splendor. I get the feeling we will be floored by this giant undertaking and satisfied as hell.

Somewhere in Life, If the album is as good as your predictions, I'll be stoked. But at the end of the day, I'll be happy if there are three classics on this album. I'm an easy guy to please in that regard. If there are three songs I truly love. Well, that's enough for me. And so far, none of the post reunion albums have let me down in that regard.. well maybe AMOLAD.

All I am expecting is a solid album with a bit of flair mainly from H and Bruce.

I would love to get some songs with twists,riffs and time shifts. And by that I mean something along the lines of Epics of the old e.g. To Tame a Land. We all understand this is not possible.

Less of a prediction but more of a wish - I'd like to have one of the epic long songs NOT start with a calm intro. They haven't done that really since The Nomad but it would help break up some of the epics just a bit I guess if at least they are structured differently.

I'm also hoping for a bit more polish to the vocals. Bruce sounded great on The Final Frontier but it was, for the most part, just one voice the entire time. I'd like a bit more of a 'studio' sound to the vocals and a bit more reverb as well.

Not really a prediction but everyone needs to know this. During the recording sessions, Adrian Smith came up with that really sick riff. Of course, His divine guitar skills meant that ordinary people would never be able to grasp it, as He played it so fast that humans just failed to hear it. So He slowed it down hundreds of times and thus Speed of Light was born.

Adrian Smith proclaimed: "let there be speed of light", and so there was speed of light. And he saw that it was good.:notworthy:

Over the past several days, I've been reflecting over the course of the reunion era (from Brave New World up to now) and comparing it to the golden years of the 80's (starting with Number of the Beast). It's obviously not an exact match, but with that course in mind, The Book of Souls would match up with Seventh Son of a Seventh Son as the fifth album Bruce has had with the band. Considering how long the band ran with the Maiden England tour from 2012 to 2014, which ended only months before the band went into the studio to write and record The Book of Souls, I suspect that the setlist might have had a bit of subconscious influence on how they approached the album.

I feel like this album might be a musical reflection/culmination of what the band's been building up to over the past thirty-five years. From Dave's desire to recreate his old Number of the Beast/Piece of Mind tone to the album cover evoking both the debut self-titled album and The X Factor with its positioning of Eddie and its stark background to seemingly being even more ambitious than either A Matter of Life and Death or The Final Frontier were. It's probably just the romantic in me, but I feel like this one's going to have elements that spread across the band's career, even if it largely follows the footsteps of the previous post-reunion albums.

Back