TBOS Predictions

If the album is the same as any of the last four albums, then I'll love it. The title Book of Souls makes me think the album will have an overall atmosphere similar to the song Dance of Death, which would be awesome since that some has a really cool vibe.

In fact here's my prediction: TBoS will overall sound like an expansion of the sound created on the DoD title-track. This would be great because it would create a real atmosphere for the album. The songs will be a mix of AMoLAD and the DoD title-track.

I hope you're correct, note. DOD Has such a killer feel. And the amolad vibe is a real possibility. I am however getting the feeling they have broken the reunion mold here and there too. The small sample reminds me of piece, and I'm anticipating murky, profound X factor comps as well. One good thing I'm thinking by the art and content descriptions so far, is there will be no cheese (here to eternity-like fringe glam stuff).
Only deep historical event and intelligently themed songs. I think Maiden is at there best teaching us history and science lessons, and telling dark stories. This is going to be epic.

I still have no idea what the solo Dickinson songs will sound like, which has me very excited.

I predict the Smith/Dickinson songs will be the more traditional Maiden single kind of songs.

I'm hoping that The Red and the Black is not another Clansman retread. Almost all of the solo Harris songs since that one all sound pretty similar in chord progression and feel. I'd love a more uptempo epic for that one.

I also kind of hope there's no ballad on here. Out of the Shadows and Coming Home are both good songs but I can't say I really need another one like it. Can't guess if there will be or not, just not really hoping for one.

CHORUS 1
The Red and the Black The Red and the Black The Red and the Black The Red and the Black The Red and the Black The Red and the Black The Red and the Black The Red and the Black The Red and the Black The Red and the Black The Red and the Black The Red and the Black The Red and the Black The Red and the Black The Red and the Black The Red and the Black

CHORUS 2

The Red and the Black The Red and the Black The Red and the Black The Red and the Black The Red and the Black The Red and the Black The Red and the Black The Red and the Black The Red and the Black The Red and the Black The Red and the Black The Red and the Black The Red and the Black The Red and the Black The Red and the Black The Red and the Black

Seventh son chorus, although slightly repetitive, is emphatic and within the epic and lengthy song, fits beautifully. We should be thrilled if BOS is in anyway similar to ssoass, which it very well may be...

Seventh son chorus, although slightly repetitive, is emphatic and within the epic and lengthy song, fits beautifully.

That's similar to my take on several of Maiden's repetitive choruses. If you have a good line that benefits from emphasis, or encourages you to think about more than one facet of its significance, it's worth repeating. It wouldn't work for everything.

Agreed. I don't think the repeated choruses are innately bad (as some here seem to suggest) but it really depends entirely on the song and how it's used. For example, I don't think it works for No More Lies, the Final Frontier, and most of the Virtual XI album. But I really like the "Freedom" chorus in Clansman and the "Please tell me now..." Chorus in FTGGOG. I guess for me it depends on if the line is powerful enough or if the music underneath is interesting and/or has a buildup.

Generally though, I think the repeated chorus criticism is extremely overstated around here.

Repeating a good chorus is pleasing, repeating any random chorus is stupid. What is so hard to understand Steve?!

Over the past several days, I've been reflecting over the course of the reunion era (from Brave New World up to now) and comparing it to the golden years of the 80's (starting with Number of the Beast). It's obviously not an exact match, but with that course in mind, The Book of Souls would match up with Seventh Son of a Seventh Son as the fifth album Bruce has had with the band. Considering how long the band ran with the Maiden England tour from 2012 to 2014, which ended only months before the band went into the studio to write and record The Book of Souls, I suspect that the setlist might have had a bit of subconscious influence on how they approached the album.

I agree, And at it's most basic, these albums really do line up well, at least for me.

Number of the Beast - Brave New World
Both are straight forward albums that creates a foundation for the following few albums. They also each contain two 10/10 songs.

Piece of Mind - Dance of Death
I enjoy roughly half of both albums, and the songs I do enjoy, are some of the best Maiden has to offer. Still Life/DoD being a good example. The highs are high, but the lows on both these albums are for me, pretty low.

Powerslave A Matter of Life and Death
I think both of these albums are overrated. Especially by the community here. Only one song I would rate 10/10 from these albums. Rime/Pilgrim. Also both albums are pretty heavy, and really are an a culmination of there previous efforts. Which is why they went on to try something a bit different with..

Somewhere in Time - The Final Frontier
Both are a bit of a deviation from their previous albums, and both have some really strong songs. They are also songs that were for me, a real grower. It took a while for me to like Starblind, in the same way it just hit me one day how good Sea of Madness was.

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son - The Book of Souls
For me, SSoaSS is the weakest of any of the albums here, but I truly believe that won't be the case for The Book of Souls. I have so much faith in this new album right now. But, I would not be the least bit surprised, if it evolved in a similar fashion of SiT to SSoaSS.

I'm not a musician, and I don't have a vocabulary to describe what I think/feel about these albums musically, but I feel a lot of similarities between these shared albums. They seem to just line up so perfectly. I'm sure those who are musicians could probably go on and on about why these pairings are nothing a like, but that won't do much for my simple mind.

Last edited:
That's similar to my take on several of Maiden's repetitive choruses. If you have a good line that benefits from emphasis, or encourages you to think about more than one facet of its significance, it's worth repeating. It wouldn't work for everything.

Totally agree.
I don't think the repeated choruses are innately bad (as some here seem to suggest) but it really depends entirely on the song and how it's used. For example, I don't think it works for No More Lies, the Final Frontier, and most of the Virtual XI album. But I really like the "Freedom" chorus in Clansman and the "Please tell me now..." Chorus in FTGGOG. I guess for me it depends on if the line is powerful enough or if the music underneath is interesting and/or has a buildup.

Sticking with just the post reunion albums, I would divide it like this:

Good
Wicker Man
Brave New World (my favourite chorus by far)
Dream of Mirrors
Out of the Silent Planet
Brighter than a Thousand Sons
For the Greater Good of God

Bad
Blood Brothers
The Mercenary
Rainmaker
No More Lies
The Longest Day
Out of the Shadows
The Final Frontier

Note: I'm talking about how these repetitive choruses effects the songs, not whether or not these songs are good/bad. Though they often go hand in hand.

I agree with Mosh. But put Brighter Than a Thousand suns in the bad column. I've always loved that song but recently, the chorus has become unbearable for me. It ruins the song.

I really like the one. I'm assuming you're talking about the "out of the darkness" part? The way the music builds underneath that is epic.

Edit: it's also really cool how the riff from that part when it gets heavy is from the Adrian Smith solo. Love musical foreshadowing like that.

Take Blood Brothers, The Mercenary, Rainmaker, and Out of the Shadows (wouldn't even really consider the last three repetitive) out of the "bad" column and I'd mostly agree.

The three songs that you mentioned as not being repetitive deserve to be on the list more than any other songs in the post reunion.

Out of the Shadows has 2 verses and repeats the chorus 5 times.

Take a look at Rainmaker
And I know of the pain that you feel the same as me
And I dream of the rain as it falls upon the leaves
And the cracks in our lives like the cracks upon the ground
They are sealed and are now washed away

You tell me we can start the rain
You tell me that we all can change
You tell me we can find something to wash the tears away
You tell me we can find something to wash the tears.....

And the cracks in the ground like the cracks are in our lives
They are sealed and now far away

You tell me we can find something to wash the tears away
You tell me we can find something to wash the tears.....

And the cracks in the ground like the cracks are in our lives
They are sealed and now far away

And The Mercenary
Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide, you've got to kill to stay alive

Show them no fear, show them no pain

Human heart, human mind, intellect intertwined
Focus sharp in the night, watch the jungle burning bright
Toe to toe throw the line, everyone's caught hand tied
Iron will iron fist, how could it have come to this?

In the case of Rainmaker, its not a big deal for me because it isn't just a single phrase repeated over and over again. Plus the licks from Dave give it some variety and the performance as a whole is very energetic which helps.

Come to think of it, I actually like the chorus in rainmaker, just not the same verse repeated 3 times. Plus, as you said. Dave really elevates that song. One of his best! Anyways.. we got way off topic.

Can you imagine what lyrics they would substitute in the repetitive choruses, though? Try putting a rhyme in there and it would be on the edge of cheesy, it would certainly do away with any gravity.

In this Brave new world, We have lost our soul,
In a dark new world, You are on your own.

It took me like 30 sec, Problem solved. It is not rocket science.

Back