Sixth Powerslave Song Played Live?

This isn't really helpful. I'm not convinced one way or the other yet, but the recording warrants being taken seriously. When presented with credible evidence you have to weigh it with everything else even if it contradicts the current narrative or discredits information in your book.

It is always possible to release an updated edition!

Also, the fact that we don't really hear anything of the song except for the very beginning. I agree the voice sounds much like Bruce, even if the "a" in "village" is pronounced rather strangely. This could be a recording of a Maiden cover band, although admittedly it seems there would be a very big crowd for that by the sound of it. I'm afraid that until there's more of this recording, even just up to Bruce starting to sing, this recording can't prove very much.

Ah, he's exagerating Village but it's definitely Bruce, and it's definitely the Maiden 84 guitar sound

Funny what people believe when they want to believe... So, the guy who wrote the article saying the song wasn't played live, 2 different persons who were at the concert and don't remember a song that hasn't been played anywhere else, a member of the band and even a reporter... No one exactly remembers that the song wasn't played? Also, with the digital manipulation of voice files you can basically make anyone say whatever you want... So that bootleg is still shit... Ah! In we're to believe that this is real, we should also believe that Quest For Fire was played, after all, Steve said it himself in an interview.
So it's a total of 5 persons...among how many that were there at the time? Do we truly have to believe only these 5? Isn't there a slightly chance they might be wrong? It's something that happened (or maybe it didn't) almost 40 years ago and probably at one single gig among almost 200 concerts for that tour! Just because the people you've talked to for your book, say the opposite, it doesn't necessarily mean its the one and only truth...If we take the example of The loneliness played at the very first gig of the Somewhere on tour, I'm sure if we didn't have the bootleg as a proof and if we asked members of the band, members of the crew and some people that were there at the time, probably you'd get different answers as well. Of course, these few seconds are maybe not enough to clearly say its the pure proof the song has been played and personnaly I'm not yet 100% convinced but still I give it the benefit of the doubt...maybe someday we will know the whole truth but as for the moment with these few seconds I'll say i'm 51 vs 49 convinced it might have been played...

In what way?

That's definitely Maiden, it's definitely a gig, and Bruce introduces it so it's not a case of Adrian just playing a snippet

In the way that not everyone is convinced that it is genuine. You and I may be, but not everyone is. So the jury is still out, like it or not.

Upon listening to it again now after a good night's sleep or two, I am 99.9% certain it's genuine. I would like to hear more of this bootleg, but I agree that something like this would be very hard to fake. My initial idea was that it might be one of those fanatical Brazilian tribute bands. However, the weak spot of those bands is always the Bruce impersonation, and I have never, ever heard anyone nail him like that.
Funny what people believe when they want to believe... So, the guy who wrote the article saying the song wasn't played live, 2 different persons who were at the concert and don't remember a song that hasn't been played anywhere else, a member of the band and even a reporter... No one exactly remembers that the song wasn't played? Also, with the digital manipulation of voice files you can basically make anyone say whatever you want... So that bootleg is still shit... Ah! In we're to believe that this is real, we should also believe that Quest For Fire was played, after all, Steve said it himself in an interview.

I think you're overestimating what can be done with digital voice manipulation. I also think that maybe you're putting a bit too much faith in testimonials of people trying to remember a specific night 40 years ago. Memories can be clouded by subsequent events, and since BITV was never played again, it's easy to forget during a 200+ date tour that it had been played once. To most people involved, including the band, this is something of little consequence, which is why they would just forget about it. Human memories are a highly unreliable source.

It's the end of The Number of the Beast alright
Yea, listening to it again and I can hear it for sure. I think I was having a Yanny/Laurel moment. :D
The speed of the recording doesn't necessarily say anything since the pitch is off so the tape is likely running too fast as well, which is pretty common for 80s bootlegs. If you took it down to how it's actually supposed to sound like, the tempo should get to reasonable levels as well.
I didn't even think to check on that. :facepalm:

I went ahead and fixed the tape speed using pitch matching and the tempo is definitely much more normal, sounds like Adrian. At this point I think I'm fully convinced that it's the real thing. Amazing!

Edit: Bruce's village pronunciation is still funny but I think it sounds a bit more normal here as well. Seems like a natural case of performer's projection resulting in a weird pronunciation (you can find examples of this all over LAD).

In the way that not everyone is convinced that it is genuine. You and I may be, but not everyone is. So the jury is still out, like it or not.

Upon listening to it again now after a good night's sleep or two, I am 99.9% certain it's genuine. I would like to hear more of this bootleg, but I agree that something like this would be very hard to fake. My initial idea was that it might be one of those fanatical Brazilian tribute bands. However, the weak spot of those bands is always the Bruce impersonation, and I have never, ever heard anyone nail him like that.

I think you're overestimating what can be done with digital voice manipulation. I also think that maybe you're putting a bit too much faith in testimonials of people trying to remember a specific night 40 years ago. Memories can be clouded by subsequent events, and since BITV was never played again, it's easy to forget during a 200+ date tour that it had been played once. To most people involved, including the band, this is something of little consequence, which is why they would just forget about it. Human memories are a highly unreliable source.
I understand what you say about memory, the reasong why ALWAYS go with different sources as memories can't be trusted. But here's my case, 5 different people and not one of them remembers BITV been played? Is kind of hard honestly but hey, it would be great if it was real!

The footage on 'Behind The Iron Curtain', from the first night of that tour, was certainly not filmed partially, so, it's very probable the band has the whole gigs, which made up the vhs, on tape.

Next year, it's Powerslave's 40th anniversary, so, a dvd with the full concert from that August 9th, 1984 gig, could be released.

Last edited:
The footage on 'Behind The Iron Curtain', from the first night of that tour, was certainly not filmed partially, so, it's very probable the band has the whole gigs, which ended up the vhs, on tape.

Next year, it's Powerslave's 40th anniversary, so, a dvd with the full concert from that August 9th, 1984 gig, could be released.
When was the last time Iron Maiden released something rare we didn't have?

But, that was intended to be released in full. That's not the case with BTIC.
Idk, I mean we did get some extra songs on the MTV version. Maiden rereleased this stuff on the LAD dvd. Did any other video from this gigs in Poland appear someplace else? Bruce seems to mention Wroclaw after HBTN

Last edited:
Idk, I mean we did get some extra songs on the MTV version. Maiden rereleased this stuff on the LAD dvd. Did any other video from this gigs in Poland appear someplace else? Bruce seems to mention Wroclaw after HBTN
I don't watch BTIC for many years, but, I think before each song, there's a type writter like font that, tells which place the song footage is.

I was looking for videos from BTIC on youtube and found this
It's the trooper but the sound is from hammersmith 12/10/1984, pretty weird. Anyone know more?

Maybe a conversation for a different thread but I’m sure there’s stuff out there. Was the Maiden England encore ever available as a bootleg before the dvd? I mean the footage that Maiden themselves shot. There’s also Live at the Rainbow 1980 which I’m sure a complete video is in the vault somewhere. Stuff like that.

I’ve wondered about Behind the Iron Curtain myself. I agree that there has to be more video footage of that show than what they showed. Maybe not the entire gig, but it’s possible. That was a pretty historic moment. And obviously the camera crew was there constantly.

Was the filming crew part of Maiden’s entourage or was it a separate documentary crew? Wasn’t it originally an MTV special?

Carl Peplow is a very serious bootleg SELLER (been corrected by John Miles who IS a serious bootleg collector) and therefore has an amazing amount of bootlegs. Just to give you an idea of his collection, I can tell you he has all four nights of the shows Maiden played in Long Beach Arena in 1985, the soundboard edition of Donington 88, and even some special shows of 1986.

Anyway, here's his copy of the show Maiden played in Wroclaw in 1984 which, as you can see, doesn't have 'Back In The Village' in the setlist, once again, confirming what everyone I inteviewed for part 2 of Eddie Made Me Do It... So, once again I say, the tape doing the rounds is fake!

357619929_1912988619085370_6494663431903756315_n.jpg

Last edited:
But BITV was supposed to have been played in Warsaw, not Poznan, right?

Back