Sixth Powerslave Song Played Live?

fredo96993

Eddie dressed as a hill.
I was just reading through Rock Candy magazine, issue 2 because Maiden were on the cover. The article is about the Polish tour in 1984. The writer Howard Johnson claims that they played six new songs on the first date of the tour in Warsaw. Iirc there are occasional rumours about Back in the Village being played at some point, like TLOTLDR which got ditched swiftly. We know Aces High, 2MTM, Losfer Words, Powerslave and TROTAM were played throughout the tour (although the instrumental was rare in 1985).

So, what evidence is there for and against and which song was it?

I think it’s reasonable to believe Back in the Village was played. There’s another interview out there where Adrian seems to indicate that they tried it out. The question seems to be whether he was referring to a rehearsal or not but it’s important to remember that part of the justification for touring the eastern bloc was as a sort of pre-tour rehearsal with an audience. So that they would try out a song that wasn’t totally coming together in rehearsal is more than plausible. That seems to be what they did with Long Distance Runner. If it wasn’t for the bootleg, we wouldn’t know that the song was ever played live.

Powerslave would have also been the only album of the 80s to have less than 6 songs played live, which seems very unlikely to me.

If a sixth Powerslave song was played, the footage probably exists.

I think that "rehersal leg" theory is my own, leaning onto the fact that Dire Straits did it. If you have any official evidence for that please post. But in the live history topic ;)

It’s either in the live after death documentary or behind the iron curtain, will come back to it sometime.

No problem, that's why I pointed you to the thread - any stuff about when and where a song was played should be there. The thread is a goldmine

Summary for you - aside from the article we have a conflicting story from Smith, one piece from 1985 and one piece from early 90s. First he said they've played it a few times but dropped it from the set. Some people read into this, but it can also mean that they've played it a few times in rehearsals and it never reached the set at all. That's the doubt part in #1. In #2, there's a video where Smith says that he doesn't think that Maiden ever played Village live. The "I think" is the doubt part in #2.

The (paraphrasing) "no less than 6 songs" thing from the article is very direct and it can't be interpreted differently. Here, the author might have miscounted. Still it is the most straightforward piece of information we have so the hunt for audio proof continues.

Is there footage from the first two Polish gigs on Behind the Iron Curtain?

The (paraphrasing) "no less than 6 songs" thing from the article is very direct and it can't be interpreted differently. Here, the author might have miscounted. Still it is the most straightforward piece of information we have so the hunt for audio proof continues.

I have Kerrang issue #76 from 1984, which I just dug out. It looks like this:

kerrang-114-mg.jpg

And there's a full tour report there as well by Howard Johnson. Now, I believe that Rock Candy perhaps bought the story to print in their magazine or that it's a later reprint. I don't know. But I believe Howard Johnson worked for Kerrang at the time and that the article originated here in the Kerrang magazine.

It doesn't answer any questions but what he says about the set is:

"Admittedly, the first gig in Warszaw was substandard for this band, eight months off the road and the introduction of no fewer than six new songs proving a little too much for a first night in such a "novel" environment. But the 6000 fans in the SRO Torwar Sports Hall emerged as real stars nontheless"

So, I guess we're looking from footage from that particular night if any.

But also, and actually my point....I'm sure Howard Johnson is still alive and well and anybody could do a little detective work and shoot him an email about the setlist and the sixth song played :)

Is there footage from the first two Polish gigs on Behind the Iron Curtain?
Only the third and fifth gig (according to wiki, but perhaps also in credits of the vid itself, I haven't seen it for a while):

9 August 1984 Warsaw Poland Torwar Hall
10 August 1984 Łódź Sporthall Aleja Politechniki
11 August 1984 Poznań Hala Arena => The Trooper, NOTB, Hallowed (in expanded MTV documentary version)
12 August 1984 Wrocław Folks Hall
14 August 1984 Katowice Sporthall Makoszowy => Hallowed (original video version)

And there's a full tour report there as well by Howard Johnson. Now, I believe that Rock Candy perhaps bought the story to print in their magazine or that it's a later reprint. I don't know. But I believe Howard Johnson worked for Kerrang at the time and that the article originated here in the Kerrang magazine.

But also, and actually my point....I'm sure Howard Johnson is still alive and well and anybody could do a little detective work and shoot him an email about the setlist and the sixth song played :)
The article is Johnson reflecting on the original article. He is one of the main editors along with Derek Oliver (presume he is the one who got Dream Theater their record deal). I had the idea of emailing him too.

Hallowed (in expanded MTV documentary version)

Don't think I've ever heard of this, is there footage available?

the original versions you speak of in Katowice, that's the one where in the footage they are walking around medieval ruins?

And with fight scene from classic movie Alexander Nevsky during the fast section, yes that's from Behind the Iron Curtain

1984-08-14%20Katovice_2.JPG

1984-08-14%20Katovice_1.JPG

Band: Iron Maiden
City: Katowice
Venue:
Bootleg Name:
Date: 1984/08/14
------------------------------------------------
Menu: Yes
Chapters: Yes
Source: Proshot
Cover: Aleister666
Version : 1 Incl. Bruce interview
Quality: 8
------------------------------------------------
Set List

Live Footage

Interviews

Soccer Match

Interviews

Bruce Interview

Time Length: 00:20:37 Min

I don't have this bootleg, might try to get it.

I also have seen MTV footage, can't find it on Youtube right now. It's the VHS version + Trooper and TNOTB from Poznan. Whether that HBTN features cutscenes I don't recall but the Lodz segment is the same. Where does the "original video version" for Katowice HBTN come from? Maybe there are also good looking ruins in that one :)

Back