Quest For Fire

How good is Quest For Fire on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
7/10. I definitely enjoy this one more than most. I think it's a pretty fun song and has some nice heavy guitars as does all of Piece Of Mind! The lyrics are pretty damn cheesy compared to their other songs, but the song itself is still very enjoyable to me.

This song gets too much hate... I don't care about the silly lyrics, I like the way Bruce sings the verses and the instrumental section is really good. 7/10

8/10, and I'm the only one up there. But I've always loved this one, and I think the "dinosaurs" crap is silly. The very opening is a delightfully jagged riff, grabbing your attention as it forces your brain to guess at the beat. A soaring and melodic vocal, well-crafted counterpoint on the harmony section, superb solos. The only reason it falls is because the conclusion - one chorus, intro riff bookend and done - doesn't balance the rest of the song. People criticize repeated choruses or other repetitions, but they serve a necessary purpose, to properly balance the departure and return phases of the musical journey. This song would have been better with a third verse to build it out just a bit more.

4/10. Weakest one from Piece. And I really don't mind the lyrics. But I don't like the rhythm, I don't like the vocal melody and the chorus sounds... "in progress" to me. After the very good Still and before the solid Sun (which is definitely more "normal" song), it has always been my "suffer-through" track, sorry.

Enjoyable song, couldn't care less that the lyrics are a little silly.

Rankings:

Previous Albums:

1980 - Iron Maiden - 6.67

8 - Prowler
6 - Sanctuary
7 - Remember Tomorrow
6 - Running Free
9 - Phantom Of The Opera
7 - Transylvania
4 - Strange World
6 - Charlotte The Harlot
7 - Iron Maiden

1981 - Killers - 5.91

6 - The Ides Of March
6 - Wrathchild
6 - Murders In The Rue Morgue
5 - Another Life
5 - Genghis Khan
5 - Innocent Exile
8 - Killers
5 - Prodigal Son
8 - Purgatory
6 - Twilight Zone
5 - Drifter

1982 - The Number Of The Beast - 7.56

6 - Invaders
7 - Children Of The Damned
8 - The Prisoner
7 - 22 Acacia Avenue
9 - The Number Of The Beast
10 - Run To The Hills
6 - Gangland
5 - Total Eclipse
10 - Hallowed Be Thy Name

1983 - Piece Of Mind

8 - Where Eagles Dare
9 - Revelations
9 - Flight Of Icarus
7 - Die With Your Boots On
8 - The Trooper
7 - Still Life
6 - Quest For Fire

A very forgettable song really. Bland verses and lyrics. The harmony parts are pretty cool though. 7/10

4/10

Quest for Fire is a ludicrous song about cavemen with a truly terrible opening line that mentions dinosaurs because apparently Steve was asleep in history class. The bass is on fire, though, and the chorus is memorable (for better or worse). Whoever suggested that Bruce hit those high notes in the second lines of the first two verses deserves a serious beating, cause they are awful.

About the dinosaurs line...

It was impossible for Bruce not to know they had gone extinct long before the first monkeys were born. He had excellent grades in History and would surely have told Steve something was wrong.
My guess is that the "time" they're talking about is Prehistory in general, which does include both dinosaurs and primitive men.

Or they were referring to this: ;)

70005.jpg

I like this song. I think people get way too caught up in the lyrics. Musically it's a cool song that some unique rhythmic stuff going on. It also has an awesome harmony in the middle. It is the weakest song on the album, but that's really not saying much on an album of heavy hitters.

This song falls in the what the hell were they thinking. I don't like the overall feel of it. And then there are the lyrics. And the high voice at the beginning which makes me laugh every time.
A filler.

6/10

This song is certainly one of the weakest Maiden songs, at the least within the classic era, but listening to it again, it's surprisingly enjoyable. Yes, even those cheesy lyrics. This song is fun to sing to, fun to listen to, one of the most 'fun' songs in their discography. It's only a 7/10, but it's still an enjoyable song.

About the dinosaurs line...

It was impossible for Bruce not to know they had gone extinct long before the first monkeys were born. He had excellent grades in History and would surely have told Steve something was wrong.
My guess is that the "time" they're talking about is Prehistory in general, which does include both dinosaurs and primitive men.

The song is based on the film "Quest for Fire", and man and dinosaurs co-exist in the film.

6. It's a great song, musically, and definitely a fun one, but the lyrics are too dumb and ridiculous for me to rate it higher than a 6.

The solos are good, the intro is interesting, all the rest is pretty terribl though. The lyrics are childish and the horrific first line definitely doesn’t help. I get it’s just a line but it really makes you cringe and I don’t know how let it slip through in a great album. Overall, 4/10

This would have been a great instrumental! Nice music all around, especially the simple but effective bass line during the chorus, it always gets stuck in my head...
But the singing and the lyrics really hurt this song. A lot. Still giving it a 7 because it makes me smile.

8/10
I like this slightly more than Sun and Steel. I love how Bruce sings the "and caves were home!!" line and also the chorus is great. At least it's much better than that of Sun And Steel.

Certainly the weakest song on the album, but this too is a killer song. Are the lyrics weak? Who gives a fuck? The imagery it sends you is just awesome.

That said... 7/10. Definitely have done better.

Back