1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quest For Fire

Discussion in 'Piece Of Mind' started by Anonymous, Apr 11, 2004.

?

How good is Quest For Fire on a scale of 1-10?

1. 10

2.4%
  2. 9

2.4%
  3. 8

7.1%
  4. 7

35.7%
  5. 6

11.9%
  6. 5

16.7%
  7. 4

14.3%
  8. 3

2.4%
  9. 2

4.8%
  10. 1

2.4%
  1. Nick2632

Nick2632 Nomad

7/10. I definitely enjoy this one more than most. I think it's a pretty fun song and has some nice heavy guitars as does all of Piece Of Mind! The lyrics are pretty damn cheesy compared to their other songs, but the song itself is still very enjoyable to me.

2. Naty

Naty Educated Fool

This song gets too much hate... I don't care about the silly lyrics, I like the way Bruce sings the verses and the instrumental section is really good. 7/10

3. SinisterMinisterX

SinisterMinisterX Illuminatus Staff Member

8/10, and I'm the only one up there. But I've always loved this one, and I think the "dinosaurs" crap is silly. The very opening is a delightfully jagged riff, grabbing your attention as it forces your brain to guess at the beat. A soaring and melodic vocal, well-crafted counterpoint on the harmony section, superb solos. The only reason it falls is because the conclusion - one chorus, intro riff bookend and done - doesn't balance the rest of the song. People criticize repeated choruses or other repetitions, but they serve a necessary purpose, to properly balance the departure and return phases of the musical journey. This song would have been better with a third verse to build it out just a bit more.

4. JudasMyGuide

JudasMyGuide Domini canis

4/10. Weakest one from Piece. And I really don't mind the lyrics. But I don't like the rhythm, I don't like the vocal melody and the chorus sounds... "in progress" to me. After the very good Still and before the solid Sun (which is definitely more "normal" song), it has always been my "suffer-through" track, sorry.

5. DJMayes

DJMayes Educated Fool

Enjoyable song, couldn't care less that the lyrics are a little silly.

Rankings:

Previous Albums:

1980 - Iron Maiden - 6.67

8 - Prowler
    6 - Sanctuary
    7 - Remember Tomorrow
    6 - Running Free
    9 - Phantom Of The Opera
    7 - Transylvania
    4 - Strange World
    6 - Charlotte The Harlot
    7 - Iron Maiden

1981 - Killers - 5.91

6 - The Ides Of March
    6 - Wrathchild
    6 - Murders In The Rue Morgue
    5 - Another Life
    5 - Genghis Khan
    5 - Innocent Exile
    8 - Killers
    5 - Prodigal Son
    8 - Purgatory
    6 - Twilight Zone
    5 - Drifter

1982 - The Number Of The Beast - 7.56

6 - Invaders
    7 - Children Of The Damned
    8 - The Prisoner
    7 - 22 Acacia Avenue
    9 - The Number Of The Beast
    10 - Run To The Hills
    6 - Gangland
    5 - Total Eclipse
    10 - Hallowed Be Thy Name

1983 - Piece Of Mind

8 - Where Eagles Dare
    9 - Revelations
    9 - Flight Of Icarus
    7 - Die With Your Boots On
    8 - The Trooper
    7 - Still Life
    6 - Quest For Fire

6. Sth2112

Sth2112 Nomad

A very forgettable song really. Bland verses and lyrics. The harmony parts are pretty cool though. 7/10

7. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

4/10

Quest for Fire is a ludicrous song about cavemen with a truly terrible opening line that mentions dinosaurs because apparently Steve was asleep in history class. The bass is on fire, though, and the chorus is memorable (for better or worse). Whoever suggested that Bruce hit those high notes in the second lines of the first two verses deserves a serious beating, cause they are awful.

8. Aces_High

Aces_High Gathering speed as I head down the runway

About the dinosaurs line...

It was impossible for Bruce not to know they had gone extinct long before the first monkeys were born. He had excellent grades in History and would surely have told Steve something was wrong.
    My guess is that the "time" they're talking about is Prehistory in general, which does include both dinosaurs and primitive men.

9. Brigantium

Brigantium Work Geordie for hire Staff Member

Or they were referring to this: ;)

[​IMG]

SixesAlltheway and Aces_High like this.
  10. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

I like this song. I think people get way too caught up in the lyrics. Musically it's a cool song that some unique rhythmic stuff going on. It also has an awesome harmony in the middle. It is the weakest song on the album, but that's really not saying much on an album of heavy hitters.

11. BeThyJames

BeThyJames Trooper

Oh dear.

A genuine stinker on a brilliant album. A shame as it will affect the overall score.

12. matic22

matic22 H is shorter for God.

This song falls in the what the hell were they thinking. I don't like the overall feel of it. And then there are the lyrics. And the high voice at the beginning which makes me laugh every time.
    A filler.

6/10

13. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 Gott Mit Uns

This song is certainly one of the weakest Maiden songs, at the least within the classic era, but listening to it again, it's surprisingly enjoyable. Yes, even those cheesy lyrics. This song is fun to sing to, fun to listen to, one of the most 'fun' songs in their discography. It's only a 7/10, but it's still an enjoyable song.

14. srfc

srfc Educated Fool

The song is based on the film "Quest for Fire", and man and dinosaurs co-exist in the film.