Official American Football Thread

We're now halfway to Thanksgiving. Can the Packers and Lions both remain undefeated until that game?

Detroit remaining:
Home vs San Fran
Home vs Atlanta
At Denver
At Chicago
Home vs Carolina

The first two are tough, but all are possible.

Green Bay remaining:
Home vs St. Louis
At Minnesota
At San Diego
Home vs Minnesota
Home vs Tampa Bay

Chargers are always dangerous, Bucs are getting good.

My guess: 10-0 is tough. It's hard not to stumble even once. At best a 10% chance both teams stay perfect to Thanksgiving.

I know MN is horrible, but you have to wonder how hard it will be to beat them bookending SD.  I think that is a 3 game stretch that will be difficult, only because of the familiarity with MN.

Detroit has to watch out for ATL, that is a team that has split personality, but can show up. 

Oh, these next few weeks are going to be fun!!

And how about the Schwartz/Harbaugh drama? Go Niners!  Looks like we won't have out two undefeated for TG, but that game is still going
to be a great one.

I really like Harbaugh.  I liked him as the Bears QB, then he started his coaching career at my alma mater (The University of San Diego), which is a non scholarship football program, he had Josh Johnson as a QB and developed him into an NFL QB (he backs up Freeman in Tampa) and led the school to an insanely good record before moving onto Stanford.  He had the same kind of fire at USD, he was calling out San Diego State (a D 1 scholarshop school) that USD would play and beat them.  I do not like the Niners, I do not like Stanford, but I really like Harbaugh, he is a great coach.

I wasn't a Niners fan, but I like Harbaugh too, so I'm going to root for his team (as long as he stays out of the AFC west :) ).

How about the Carson Palmer trade then? He's a great player and all that, but it seems like such a high price to pay for a 31 year old with a history of injuries.

I read somewhere that the Raiders will only have picks in the 5th and 6th round next year. Seems very risky to me.

Hue Jackson has coached him before. The only explanations are: Jackson thinks he knows something we don't, or Palmer really is the best out there.

Think about it: the Raiders haven't been in contention like this in ages, and Davis' death will fuel the team. If they don't have a quality QB now, they're gonna fall out of it. If Boller isn't good enough, who else is out there? Garrard has neck problems, no one else is as good.

At root, they've made the choice that they care about this season more than any future season.

bearfan said:
I do not like Stanford

Off with his head!!

Harbaugh is a great coach (see my sig below), but he has a screw loose for sure. 

Robbiedbee said:
How about the Carson Palmer trade then? He's a great player

I'm not so sure about that...  Maybe he just was mailing it in with a team he hated (the Bengals) the past couple of years, but he simply hasn't been the same since the Steelers wrecked his knee in the playoffs.  Hue Jackson remembers him from when he was a Pro Bowler -- he hasn't coached him since the knee injury changed him. 

I see why the Raiders traded for Palmer, they have a shot to be good for the first time in a long time and with Campbell going down, they needed someone better than Boller.  I just think they gave up too much for him.  Dalton is playing well for Cincy, I think Cincy was going to hang onto Palmer if no one made a a good offer (they were not going to trade him for a 6th), but I think the Raiders could have gotten him for less than they gave up, Cincy saw they were desperate and took advantage of it.

Boller and Palmer looked horrible, I would expect Palmer to get better though. 

Nice win for the Bears yesterday.  Anyone else think the regular season game in London is stupid?

It's a money grab and a horrible waste of time.  I know that Tampa doesn't sell out that often, but still- what a waste of good football.  The NFL doesn't have enough games in one season to warrant taking the chance that it could ruin someone's playoff hopes.  Would Tampa have played better in Florida?  We will never know.

Boller was going to look horrible.  Honestly, Palmer shouldn't have been in the game.  I know part of the concept was to let him get a few reps in a real game, but he only knew, what, 12 plays at most?  He had no chance to do succeed. 

Otherwise, NBC needs to start flexing some games!  Last nights was a waste of my viewing time.

I did not bother with the Sunday night game, what a joke Indy is this year, though if it was going to happen, they picked the right year to be horrible with Luck coming out in the draft.

I was fine with the pre-season London game, no one here really wants to go to pre-season games anyway.  I thought the world league deal the NFL had was a good idea to not only try to promote the game, but create a legit minor league system .. too bad it failed.

Giants, Ravens and Saints were all well down in games that they really should win today, and the Giants and Ravens managed to turn it around. Can't believe the Saints lost to the Rams.

Two great games this evening: Cowboys at Eagles and just underway is Patriots at Steelers.

Guess the Saints should have saved a few points from last week.  I thought for sure that was going to be a 50-10 type game.  I think that is the shocker of the season so far.

KC completely blew a chance to move into sole possession of first place today by letting Miami off the hook.  What a horrible game.

Good on the Pack! 

I was pretty shocked by the Chiefs game, I did not watch it, but from the stats, it looked like they should have scored a lot more points.

Hoping the Bears can beat Philly tonight, this is a huge game.  Detroit is falling back to Earth, if we can beat Philly tonight and Detroit next week, I will be feeling pretty good about our playoff chances, on the other hand, if they lose these two, they are toast.

Back