Official American Football Thread

It's been a very interesting football season so far, perhaps thanks to the lockout?

Was actually quite pleased to see Denver actually win a game over a more credible team than Miami...not that I like Denver but I don't understand why Tebow gets as much hate as he does...just give the guy a chance.

I think Tebow gets knocked down for several reasons: 
He is not a "normal" QB based on his style of play, most of these types of QBs to come out have been busts/rarely get to the NFL to start with
He was drafted way too high
He has a lot of hype around a guy who was not really done anything
A fair amount of non-Florida fans do not like him from college
Going back to the Super Bowl commercial, some people do not like his personal beliefs.

On another note, great win for the Bears last night, if they can beat Detroit next week, they are in pretty good shape.

Tebow gets a lot of media attention because of his personal beliefs, which is fine - but it's because people seem to get offended at how it's handled (ie, the guy making fun of him praying the other day, a lot of people said his faith was untouchable). Basically his faith made him more famous than his talent could have, and now he can't cash that cheque.

Winning a ton of games and National Championships at Florida made him pretty famous too, but certainly the faith aspect is a large part of it.  It will be interesting to see how he does, he does have a lot of talent, but it does not fit with the prototype NFL QB skill set, but with more and more college programs running the spread, the NFL is going to have to learn how to integrate that type of talent into the league at some point.  Denver really has nothing to lose at this point, they might as well go for it and at the end of the year decide of Tebow is a viable NFL QB and if not, suck it up and cut their loses .. it seems clear Elway does not like him as a QB.
.. should clarify a bit ... I think the faith part made him famous to non-football fans/NFL only fans.  To football fans at large who even minimally follow college football, he was well known as a player and quite possibly the best college QB ever (I am no Gator fan by any stretch, he was fun to watch).  For those football fans, the question has been "how will his talent translate to the NFL, if at all" much moreso than the faith aspect.  The faith part/Tebow-ing, etc made him much more know outside the football fan base for someone who has not played much.
Look like JoPa is on his way out of Penn State, too bad it had to end this way, but if he turned his back to this mess, he deserves it (and a lot more)

Not surprised. When I first heard of the scandal, I figured it would hurt him sooner or later.
LooseCannon said:
Tebow gets a lot of media attention because of his personal beliefs, which is fine - but it's because people seem to get offended at how it's handled (ie, the guy making fun of him praying the other day, a lot of people said his faith was untouchable). Basically his faith made him more famous than his talent could have, and now he can't cash that cheque.

Gotta disagree. I don't think that the defender who sacked him and then "Tebowed" was making fun of his faith, but rather making fun of the internet meme. And bearfan is right; for football fans, the whole faith thing is a sideshow. The guy is a legend as a college QB. Two national titles. His talent made him plenty famous, and most people don't care about his faith.

See all I hear those sports commentators talk about is his skill (or lack thereof) as a QB, specifically that he is a terrible passer because of his technique. I have always perceived his faith thing as a side thing, much like Tom Brady's changing hairstyles. Ultimately I think the kid should be given a chance to show what he's got, who cares about his passing technique as long as he gets the job done? Clearly he has talent (what with 2 national championships under his belt). And, as SMX has pointed out, Denver has nothing to lose this season anyway.

0YW7w.jpg

SinisterMinisterX said:

LOL, that is great.  Reminds me of the warly 90s "abused children should go to Chavez Ravine, becasuse the Dodgers do not hit anything" joke.
Natalie said:
See all I hear those sports commentators talk about is his skill (or lack thereof) as a QB, specifically that he is a terrible passer because of his technique. I have always perceived his faith thing as a side thing, much like Tom Brady's changing hairstyles. Ultimately I think the kid should be given a chance to show what he's got, who cares about his passing technique as long as he gets the job done? Clearly he has talent (what with 2 national championships under his belt). And, as SMX has pointed out, Denver has nothing to lose this season anyway.

Sometimes the NFL cannot look past the past.  After all series of Run and Shoot QB that flamed out (Ware, Kilngler .. though they seem to forget Jim Kelly was a run and shoot QB), the more recently Jamarcus Russell, the NFL always tries to want QBs to be 6'4" pocket passers and keep running a pro style offense.  I see why the spread would not work (QBs would get killed and there is not the skill gap between WRs and CBs like there is in college), but at some point the NFL needs to bring in some sort of hybrid offense that will work and take advantage of QBs coming out of college, there are just not that many college programs running pro style offenses anymore.
Paterno will retire at the end of the season.

I seem to recall that discussion with Steve Young, Donovan McNabb and others.  The problem is that (possibly other than Vick) most of those QB's slow down over time due to age, hits, injuries, and can't keep up the speed necessary to make an offense like that successful for more than a few years.  If a QB can't figure out early how to be a good pocket passer, he won't last, and therefore won't be an asset to an organization.  So, a QB that can figure out how to pocket pass first, and run last is a better choice.

It is nuts ... it will be interesting to see what happens at the game tomorrow ... I am  thinking the PSU officials wish they were on the road this week.

I don't know how anyone could riot in favour of Paterno. Sure, he was a good coach. But some things aren't worth football championships, and that's why he (and a lot of the higher-ups at Penn State) are being cashiered. There could be more charges to come, too, and Paterno could be on the list.

It boggles me. How could you care more about winning football games?

bearfan said:
...  or they will fire Paterno now and riots will ensue

It's an absolute disgrace. I agree 200% with LC, how could these people care more about winning football games? How moronic can you be? These college kids need to get their priorities straight, they supposedly have half a brain, so why are they rioting when the lives of children have been jeopardized? That being said, I think the only honorable thing Paterno could have done was step down, not waffle around about 'retiring at the end of the year'. No, take some responsibility (because you didn't when it actually mattered) and step down. Then maybe, just maybe, these riots wouldn't be happening because it wouldn't be "the man" putting Paterno down, as I suspect these kids think it is. I'm all for  sticking it to the administration but this is way out of line and downright disrespectful to the victims and their families.

And the worst? Apparently the university president that was fired as well (Spanier) had a PhD in family counseling (!!!), so if anyone should have known how to go about this the right way, it was him.

Ugh, the whole thing is just so disgusting.

Paterno tried to resign. Penn State's board of directors rejected his resignation and straight-up fired him.

From how I understood it, he wanted to resign (or retire) at the end of the 2011-2012 season. The Board of Trustees then decided to fire him. Maybe more light will be shed in the coming days.

Obviously the real victims in this are the kids who were assaulted, but I feel bad for the football players and the coaches (those that were not around when this happened), they had nothing to do with this and somehow get lumped in with this disgusting mess.  Look at the paper of about any city with an NFL team and there are stories of ex-Penn State playes in shock about this.  In a class act, it looks like about 70 former players will be on the sidelines this week to support the players (who deserve it) ...

All those who covered this up need to be dealth with big-time.  Penn State has always been seen as one of the class big time college programs, not any more because they chose to cover up for this scum bag.

This whole Penn State fiasco is fascinating.  Who would have thought that the biggest scandal in the history of college sports would come out of a program revered for doing things the "right way."  They don't cheat at recruiting.  They graduate their players.  They respect the game and the community.  And, oh yeah, they kept a guy on the premises for 30+ years who they knew was a pedophile.  Whoops.

In other more important news, biggest game of the year tomorrow for the mighty fucking Stanford Cardinal.  Beat Oregon!

The Stanford fame should be a good one, I am near Standord now (out visiting family), there was a ton of rain yesterday, I have to think that helps Stanford ... slowing down the field takes away part of Oregon's biggest asset.

Back