lets discuss some underrated tunes.

Eh, I'd say this was my list:

Purgatory
Drifter
Remember Tomorrow (but not nearly as underrated Purgatory and rifter)
Murders in the Rue Morgue
Invaders (the definition of underrated)
Gangland
Total Eclipse
22 Acacia Avenue
Revelations (somewhat)
Flight of Icarus (still my favourite solos probably ever next to SiaSL)
Still Life
Quest for Fire (sure it has stupid lyrics, but it has everything else to make up for it)
Sun and Steel
Flash of the Blade
Losfer Words
The Duellists
SiT in general
Moonchild
The Prophecy
The Clairvoyant
Only the Good Die Young
Holy Smoke
No Prayer for the Dying
Mother Russia
Childhood's End
Be Quick or Be Dead
Wasting Love (also the definition of underrated)
Fear is the Key
Man on the Edge
The Clansman
Futureal
Como Estais Amigos
Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger
The Nomad
The Mercenary (a zit, really?)
Dream of Mirrors
THE THIN LINE BETWEEN LOVE AND HATE! (becoming a favourite of mine)
Gates of Tomorrow
Rainmaker (by the band)
Different World
The Pilgrim
The Longest Day
Out of the Shadows
The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
Lord of Light
The Legacy
Reach Out

-__- I was hoping the list would be shorter, but I think I picked, like, half of every album. I'm such a nerd. :p

Eddies Wingman said:
Frank Herbert, on the other hand, did definitely not love the song  :S

Haha true, he was ready to sue the band if they had called the song dune.  They barely got away with calling it To Tame a Land. 

Back on topic though, its cool to see which songs everyone thinks are underrated.  Each of our lists have been a little different.

Eddies Wingman said:
Frank Herbert, on the other hand, did definitely not love the song  :S

Well, before he had heard the song, he said didn't want to the song named Dune because he did not like rock music.

But it was said that when he heard it, he really liked it.

Forostar said:
Well, before he had heard the song, he said didn't want to the song named Dune because he did not like rock music.

But it was said that when he heard it, he really liked it.

Do you have a source for this statement? I wondered why he wouldn't like To Tame A Land 'cos it matches perfectly the mood and scenario he described. He's was a headbanger of the authors, but wasn't aware of it.

I belive in the commentary for the song it is quoted that he said "I don't like rock bands, I don't like hard rock bands and I especially don't like hard rock bands called Iron Maiden" or words to that effect.

This is one I know. I mean the one where it shows he actually liked the song. Maybe, it was all marketing campaign (Maiden always loved it and made it very well).

I don't know how to find the "real" source so quickly, unfortunately.
If you see Maiden as an unreliable source, well so be it. ;)

Forostar said:
I don't know how to find the "real" source so quickly, unfortunately.
If you see Maiden as an unreliable source, well so be it. ;)

Never heard any of Maiden talking about Herbert coming to actually liking TTAL. What you're insinuating, here, I don't know Maiden or don't trust 'em? :yawn: You always demands from others, now it's your turn to be demanded, mate. :)

OK, so I'm confused as to what 'underrated' means.  There are lists from here to the moon.  Many songs are under rated with mainstream metal fans.  However, among most Maiden fans, there are very few that are skipped while playing.  Take 'Still Life' for instance.  It gets no radio play that I've heard, but most Maiden fans that I know think its a great tune-- so, is it under rated? 

Jeffmetal said:
Never heard any of Maiden talking about Herbert coming to actually liking TTAL. What you're insinuating, here, I don't know Maiden or don't trust 'em? :yawn: You always demands from others, now it's your turn to be demanded, mate. :)

A:
Well, I think Maiden or Rod might be the source (big chance)

B:
You say that might be marketing campaign

C:
That might imply that you think Maiden made it up. That would imply that you say Maiden is an unreliable source / tells lies to market a song/album.

Maybe we shouldn't be too serious about it, but where did I exactly go wrong?

Actually, I also find Iron Maiden an unreliable source.
(little tourspoiler)
Especially when they speak about upcoming tours.
They would cover there entire career with the setlist. Yeah right, and David Bowie will do guest vocals.

Here's my very long list:

Burning Ambition
Invasion
Prowler
Remember Tomorrow
Transylvania
Strange World
Charlotte the Harlot
The Entire Killers Album
Invaders
Children of the Damned
The Prisoner
22 Acacia Ave
Total Eclipse
Flight of Icarus
Die With Your Boots On
Still Life
Sun and Steel
To Tame A Land
Losfer Words (Big Ora)
Flash of the Blade
The Duelists
Back in the Village
Powerslave
The Entire Somewhere In Time Album
Moonchild
Infinite Dreams
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
The Prophecy
Only the Good Die Young
Tailgunner
Holy Smoke
No Prayer For the Dying
Public Enema Number One
Run Silent Run Deep
Mother Russia
Be Quick or be Dead
From Here to Eternity
Childhood's End
Wasting Love
The Fugitive
Chains of Misery
Judas Be My Guide
The Entire X Factor Album
The Entire Virtual XI Album
The Entire Brave New World Album
Rainmaker
No More Lies (still doesn't get the respect it deserves)
Paschendale (still doesn't get the respect it deserves)
Age of Innocence
The Entire A Matter of Life and Death Album
Satellite 15.......The Final Frontier (I don't like what some people on Blabbermouth said about it at all. The song deserves far more respect, it's awesome!)
El Dorado (I don't like what some people said on Blabbermouth about it or a few of my friends. Like Satellite 15....The Final Frontier, this song deserves far more respect!)

I'll have more to add when I hear the entire new album, I'm looking forward to it!

How do you figure that the majority of their catalog is underrated?

Again, I don't think anything on their first 7 albums is underrated at all.  Everyone knows how amazing those songs are.  It's the mid to recent era stuff that falls into the underrated, and more specifically, under appreciated realm for me.

It really depends on who you're asking. I listen to mostly post-reunion era stuff because that is how Iw as introduced to Maiden. Yeah, Piece of Mind is great, but AMOLAD will always be special for me. So in my case, you could say some "classics" are under-appreciated.

metalwarrior220 said:
Powerslave

Yeah, very underrated. I constantly read negative comments about this masterpiece, and Maiden often refused to play this song. It all started in 1986. From then on we didn't hear it until 1999, and then again someone thought it should be ignored between 2000 and 2007.  And (little tour spoiler)
now again!
 :mad:

;)

Seems kind of pointless to drop huge lists of "underrated" tunes.  These guys are hugely popular you know, and most fans appreciate those songs.

If I had to pick one that I feel is underrated, I would say "Face in the Sand" off Dance of Death.  I remember reading some reviews that were highly critical of the last portion of the album and that song in particular, and I always felt it had great build, lyrics, and musical tension.

I'm going to define underrated as a song I love that rarely (or never) gets played live, and I rarely hear people get excited about

My list:
Deja Vu — simple, catchy, killer guitar sound
Sea of Madness — love the chorus and the middle instrumental part
The Educated Fool — see above
Invaders — rocks like few others

Several songs from SIT including but not limited to:
Deja Vu
Sea of Madness

Also, NPFTD album along with a couple of tracks off of FOTD like Chains of Misery

The Edge of Darkness
Sea of Madness
Deja Vu
Still Life
Lightning Strikes Twice
Face in the Sand
Run Silent, Run Deep
Hooks in You (a song which everyone seems to hate)
Fear is the Key
Back in the Village (kill 2 mins. to midnight IMO)
Purgatory :edmetal:
The Aftermath
Prowler and Afraid to Shoot Strangers to a lesser degree

Back