lets discuss some underrated tunes.

Sincerely, there's no Maiden song I find bad. I skip some due to excessive listening over the decades or because they are not much appealing for listening more than a few times a year and even so, I might spend sometime analysing it. But bad song, no way Maiden has.

The Nomad easily...

I'm going to get lots of hate for this next one... But all of NPFTD is AMAZING (well, except for the odd one out like The Assassin, for example), songs like Run Silent Run Deep, Mother Russia, Hooks In You, and finally NO PRAYER FOR THE DYING. I absolutely love the song and don't know why it receives so much hate.  :(

I think the reasons those albums like No Prayer receive hate, is because when they were released, they weren't just a different direction musically, but it seemed the band was traveling in a different direction as well, and that it was the end of the "golden era."  With the Blaze era come and gone, and Bruce back, and 3 great albums (soon to be 4, i'm sure) under their belt, we can finally look back on the "red headed step children" like No Prayer and FOTD, and realize that, though different, they are really good albums.  I'm spinning No Prayer in my car right now.

FOTD has always been one of my favorite albums.  Honestly the only maiden song I don't really like is CIPWM.  It was almost too poppy and upbeat for that particular album.  I guess I don't like it in its context.

A couple of the first posters mentioned Infinite Dreams ... you Maidenfans newbies may be interested to know that on this forum, that song is well-liked. Definitely not underrated by the members here; it made the top 10 in the Survivor game.

Lemme pick one from each album...
IM: Strange World. Most of the album is well-regarded, so for underrated it's SW or Charlotte ... and Strange World is better.
Killers: Purgatory is a gem.
NOTB: Invaders, which I've always thought is one of Maiden's stronger openers and would have rocked live, if they had ever done it.
POM: Quest For Fire. Great 12/8 groove.
PS: Duellists, for that amazing dual guitar solo section.
SIT: Sea Of Madness. Such a great song.
SSOASS: I don't think there are any underrated songs here. The less-respected songs are in that state for good reason.
NPFTD: Run Silent Run Deep. I could also go for Mother Russia. The rest of the album is a stinking turd.
FOTD: Chains Of Misery. Never seems to get much love, but I think it has a great chorus at least.
TXF: A couple come to mind: Look For The Truth and Judgement Of Heaven.
VXI: The Angel And The Never-Ending Chorus. I make fun of this song, but I really do love it, even the endless chorus.
BNW: Nomad. I've stated my love for this song, especially the Beckett section, many times.
DOD: New Frontier. The riffs fucking rock. And since it is not humanly possible to rate Paschendale high enough, Pasch is always by definition underrated.
Paschenfuckingdale! Say it with me, brother! Paschenfuckingdale! Can I get an Amen! Paschenfuckingdale, Amen!
AMOLAD: Out Of The Shadows. Always reminded me of Bruce's solo stuff.

Well, there are lots of songs seemingly underrated which I like, and also there are songs praised by many, which I'm not entirely sure of (e. g. Two Minutes To Midnight), but that is just my weird musical taste :) For example - The Unbeliever - this seems to be so underrated it has even not been mentioned in this thread yet if I am not mistaken :) And it is one of my favourites :)

I think The Thin Line Between Love And Hate and Drifter are two very underrated tunes, which I have listened to quite a lot recently. There are many to choose from though.

Also, in some strange way, I think the whole A Matter of Life and Death-album is quite underrated, at least in among the people I hang out with. They complain about bad production, long songs etc, etc, but I think it's one of their best actually. It's in my top-5 anyway.

I have to agree that The Thin Line Between Love and Hate is underrated. I just love when Bruce belts out the title of the track at the end of it. Amazing.

SMX, you have no idea how happy I am that infinite dreams is well liked,  and I completely agree about paschendale.  I'm a huge military history buff, and the human aspect of war has always been most interesting, so I won't deny that when I first heard it, my eyes welled up with tears, which were then shaken off my face as I started headbanging.

I'd say Wasting Love is perhaps the most underrated IM tune.  It's one of the most beautiful songs they've ever written, and includes a great message.  Bruce's vocals here are out of this world Plus the riff before the solo is a thing of beauty. 

Would Stranger in a Strange Land be underrated?  The solo on that song is absolutely amazing. 

Songs that I enjoy just as much as the universally accepted "awesome songs":

Another Life
Purgatory
Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
The Prophecy
The Assassin
Judas Be My Guide
The Edge of Darkness
The Fallen Angel
Gates of Tomorrow
Lord of Light

Ones that are great and underrated, but don't quite hit the heights of the top, top songs include Twlight Zone, Flash of the Blade, Only the Good Die Young, Public Enema Number One, Blood on the Worlds Hands and Montsegur, if Montsegur is underrated?

Back