Coronavirus

And the winner as the first totalitarian state in the EU is... Hungary!

Poland next?

It's us...

Our current PM, a slightly schisoprenic Janez Janša, has been a long-time admirer of Orban. Yesterday, they incorporated new laws, which ban people from going from muncipalities where they live to another muncipality (luckily I still have my permanent addres at my parents' flat, so I can visit them). We have 212 of those and some have no specific shops. They did this on a basis that there were HORDES of people on Slovenian coast on Saturday (despite there is no evidence of that from the 24h cameras and everyone kept the distance). Our minister said that those measures were implemented on a "we heard" basis (yes, that were his words). Some muncipals were probably bribed to report that, so they can repress people more, Also, there is a law which allows the police to enter your flat/house and allows ID-ing people and following people via phones.

1 week before we implement that IMO.

Last edited:
It'd also result in far more deaths if we catch it all at once - regardless of the health services.
There would be more deaths in quick succession, but there would only be more deaths overall because the health services wouldn't be able to cope. Theoretically, if the health services were in a position to contend with the worst case senario then regardless of demand the same care would be available to everyone who needed it. So the same people would either die or recover regardless of whether they caught it all at the same time or over a longer period of time.

The total is going to pass 40 000 today. Already passed 39000 before including numbers from Italy, France, UK - and with only 21 from the USA included in the 39000.

The thing that worries me the most is that in Poland we have around 2300 cases (now ~230 new cases daily), 32 officially dead (but they don't count people who may have had virus or people that had other problems with the health like let say diabetes) and only 7 people recovered.

only 7 people recovered.
Probably many more - it seems many countries still aren't keeping track with recoveries. I still don't see any official statistic in Norway including the number of recoveries at all.

A reason could be that one would want a negative test to confirm that the patient is fully recovered - and that there still is a limited test capacity and one prioritizes new patients.

People who test positive and are ordered to self-quarantine at home will probably not be counted as recovered two weeks later, even if they are.

Probably many more - it seems many countries still aren't keeping track with recoveries. I still don't see any official statistic in Norway including the number of recoveries at all.

A reason could be that one would want a negative test to confirm that the patient is fully recovered - and that there still is a limited test capacity and one prioritizes new patients.

People who test positive and are ordered to self-quarantine at home will probably not be counted as recovered two weeks later, even if they are.
That's one possibility. However I know a little bit about situation in my country - they are desperate to have elections in May so any proof that they are fighting with this epidemic would be on every news channel that belongs to government.

Well, I was thinking that if the trend in Poland is the same as the trend in other affected countries, it is likely that the reasons are more or less the same.

I would also think that lying about recovered patients would be pretty difficult to cover up. I don't doubt that the current Polish government would love to exaggerate the number of recoveries if they could get away with it, but that would probably be exposed when patients were turned away at hospitals because the hospitals were still full.

Well, they don't need to be back. I think that patient #231 doesn't know patient #1245 so if they will tell that one of them is recovered no one will be able to check that.

Either way - low number may indicate that probably it's too soon to tell how well we're fighting with this. Tomorrow there will be new laws - children under 18yo can't leave home without parent but also only one person can leave home at the time.

I'm just praying that economic crisis that is coming will not affect my job in new company. They are quite big (~50 000 000 euro monthly revenue) but as fresh hire I can be afraid because now we also have in Poland mass layoffs, even in IT.

Back