Coronavirus

Today has been one of the nicest days out since the virus hit Colorado, and it seems it’s true that nice weather will bring people out even with stay at home orders in place. Lots of traffic out, the grocery store I work at was packed, and there were many people out and about as I was headed home.

If the summer heat doesn’t kill the virus, expect a lot of Americans to die over the summer because social distancing isn’t going to be a thing anymore.
Same here. Yesterday was warm and sunny - crowds on the streets and in the parks. I have one near me, normally there was 5 people at same time but yesterday? Something around 20. It's like they want to get infected and want this thing to stay for months.

Some of them are saying that this virus doesn't exist or there are no more deaths than usually.

1585478937395.png

This is the current state of play in the UK, but bear in mind that only hospitalized patients (and senior members of the government) are being tested. Orkney and the Outer Hebridies look like paradise right now...

Yesterday we went past 1000 deaths. Italy has more than 10,000 and Spain is past 6,500. The next few weeks will be grim here but I hope that the lockdown and social distancing measures have helped us avoid the cataclysmic situation in Spain and Italy.

Situation in Poland is stable:

The head of the sanitary department comes infected with COVID-19 for the crisis staff meeting. Effect: 15 people with a positive coronavirus result, including: police chief, firefighters, village head, etc. All local authorities and most officials, firemen, etc. are quarantined. An example for other cities how not to act.

To be fair, if we all caught it now it would actually be over much more quickly. The salient point is that the various health services couldn't cope if we all caught it at once.

It'd also result in far more deaths if we catch it all at once - regardless of the health services.

Well you could be in Belarus. The football season is still continuing with fans in the stadia and Alexander Lukashenko says that everything is fine because he can't see the virus "flying around". He also thinks that it's safe to attend ice hockey matches because the cold air in ice hockey arenas will stop the virus from spreading. Madman.

Well you could be in Belarus. The football season is still continuing with fans in the stadia and Alexander Lukashenko says that everything is fine because he can't see the virus "flying around". He also thinks that it's safe to attend ice hockey matches because the cold air in ice hockey arenas will stop the virus from spreading. Madman.
In Poland sanitary department told doctors that they don't need protection because they have immunity since the work they are doing.

Situation in Poland is stable:

The head of the sanitary department comes infected with COVID-19 for the crisis staff meeting. Effect: 15 people with a positive coronavirus result, including: police chief, firefighters, village head, etc. All local authorities and most officials, firemen, etc. are quarantined. An example for other cities how not to act.

Hey that's definitely a stable situation.

iu

Trump today admitted 100,000 could die. Them goalposts have really moved since the President was assuring people it was under control!

I wonder how other presidents would have handled the situation. It has to be very challenging and extremely stressful for anyone in power in this situation.

FDA issues emergency authorization of anti-malaria drug for coronavirus care

Link:
The Food and Drug Administration on Sunday issued an emergency use authorization for hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine, decades-old malaria drugs championed by President Donald Trump for coronavirus treatment despite scant evidence.

The agency allowed for the drugs to be "donated to the Strategic National Stockpile to be distributed and prescribed by doctors to hospitalized teen and adult patients with COVID-19, as appropriate, when a clinical trial is not available or feasible," HHS said in a statement, announcing that Sandoz donated 30 million doses of hydroxychloroquine to the stockpile and Bayer donated 1 million doses of chloroquine.

The move was supported by the White House, part of a larger Trump-backed effort to speed the use of anti-malaria drugs as a potential therapy for a virus that has no proven treatment or cure. FDA already has allowed New York state to test administering the medication to seriously ill patients, and some hospitals have added it to their treatment protocols.

"Let's see how it works," Trump said at a press briefing on Sunday, referencing New York state's efforts. "It may. It may not."

Career scientists have been skeptical of the effort, noting the lack of data on the drug’s efficacy for coronavirus care and worried that it would siphon medication away from patients who need it for other conditions, calling instead for the agency to pursue its usual clinical trials.

Three officials told POLITICO that FDA’s planned move would facilitate more access to the drug by allowing more manufacturers to produce or donate it.

Hydroxychloroquine, which is already available commercially in the United States, is commonly used to treat malaria, lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. The drug also has been touted as a therapy for coronavirus by an unusual assortment of investors, TV correspondents and even some advisers to the White House — including some advocates who overstated their claims and credentials — and been championed by guests on Fox News.

Last edited:
I wonder how other presidents would have handled the situation. It has to be very challenging and extremely stressful for anyone in power in this situation.
Better, I am guessing. Trump was acting like everything was fine as other countries were preparing, and now he's blocking ventilators from moving to states that need them because he doesn't like the governors.

The US has faced great crises before. Some presidents have failed at their task (Hoover, Harding, Buchanan) and some have risen magnificently (Lincoln, FDR).

Back