Coronavirus

I hope the science finds the solution very soon, because this is a really serious problem and I don't know if it's more dangerous the fear that the media is doing or the own disease.
Anyway, there's not too much control in Hospitals, schools or airports and the goverments are not controlling the situation

I bet if this outbreak had not happened during the winter, when public national health services - that have been underfunded as a result of austerity policies during the last decade - are under pressure and close to breaking point, there would have been less hysteria from governments about this.

All these precautions are quite probably just a way to try and avoid having this virus as a yearly occurrence (as is the case with the flu). I guess things would calm down when the weather gets warmer.

P.S. I am just voicing my opinion as a biomedical engineer, not as a conspiracy theorist. Either way, if I am going to die, I will die with my boots on.

Some of the latest updates from CNN:
  • WHO says coronavirus is deadlier than the flu
  • Australia to shoppers: stop buying toilet paper
  • Iran using tent hospitals as it faces shortage of beds
  • Queen's gloves spark coronavirus speculation
  • UK "urgently" calling on Iran to act after reports of coronavirus spreading in Tehran jail
  • Beijing trials "subway by appointment" to reduce virus risk
  • "We're planning to have the Games as planned," says Tokyo 2020 Olympic boss
  • Czech Republic bans most people from buying face masks
  • Singapore reaches 112 cases of novel coronavirus
  • Lufthansa grounds 150 jets over coronavirus
  • Italy considers closing schools across the country
  • 32 new cases of coronavirus diagnosed in England
  • New Hampshire's 1st coronavirus patient broke self-isolation order, officials say
  • US stocks are soaring, here's how the US stock market opened today:
    • The Dow rose more than 700 points in early trading, or 2.8%
    • The S&P 500 shot up 2.3%
    • The Nasdaq Composite gained 2.1%
      • What is going on here: Biden is viewed by investors as potentially being a more market-friendly Democratic presidential candidate than Bernie Sanders. Health care stocks in particular were soaring.
  • Iran's hand sanitizer supply not meeting demand, despite alcohol production increase
  • India confirms 28 coronavirus cases
  • China says 75 international arrivals tested positive for coronavirus
  • South Korea plans to use a GPS-based app to monitor people quarantined at home
  • There are now 6 coronavirus cases confirmed in Belarus
  • French government will take control of all country's masks stockpiles during coronavirus outbreak
  • Greece confirms new coronavirus case, bringing total to 8
  • South Korea now has more than 5,600 coronavirus cases
  • Hong Kong confirms two new cases of novel coronavirus, bringing its total to 103
  • WHO warns of global medical equipment shortage as world braces for coronavirus spread
  • US should be proactive in testing for novel coronavirus, health official says
    • The latest numbers:
      • The novel coronavirus has killed 3,200 people, the vast majority in mainland China. There are now over 92,000 global cases, with infections in more than 70 countries and territories.
    • The US Federal Reserve slashed interest rates by half a percentage point today in response to coronavirus
    • In Italy the country will close all schools and universities around the country until the middle of this month as officials work to contain the outbreak.
    • There are six new coronavirus cases in Los Angeles county
    • US Congress strikes coronavirus funding agreement
    • Cancellation or postponement of 2020 Tokyo games not mentioned at Olympic board meeting
    • Coronavirus mortality rate is about 2%, health official says
    • Thailand has not announced a quarantine on certain travelers, despite what a minister's social media says
    • Trump tries to reassure the public on coronavirus
    • New York City WeWork cleaned after possible coronavirus exposure
    • New York cases of the coronavirus not connected
      • First case is a healthcare worker who had recently returned from Iran.
      • The 5 other cases are of community spread -- (meaning the source of infection is unknown)
    • What are the current US travel restrictions:
      • The US State Department's travel warning for China is at the highest level — Level 4: Do not travel. The department's warning for travel to Iran, which was already at Level 4 prior to the outbreak, was recently updated to add information about coronavirus.
      • The State Department is advising travelers to reconsider travel to Italy and South Korea, while travel to specific areas of those countries — Lombardy and Veneto in Italy and Daegu in South Korea — is discouraged. The department also advises travelers to reconsider travel to Mongolia.
      • Level 2 warnings, urging increased caution, are in effect for Japan, Hong Kong and Macau due to the outbreak.
      • 1,000 people asked to self-quarantine in New York
      • Italy closes all schools due to coronavirus
      • Israel urges people to stop shaking hands to combat spread of coronavirus
      • Chile confirms second case of coronavirus
      • Washington state county says it doesn't have enough coronavirus tests
      • US Vice President Pence will meet with Washington state governor this week
      • House passes coronavirus funding package
      • At least 10 people have died in Washington state from coronavirus
      • There are now 149 cases of coronavirus in the US:
        • Arizona – 2
        • California – 33 (includes 1 fatalities)
        • Florida - 3
        • Georgia - 2
        • Illinois - 4
        • Massachusetts - 2
        • New Hampshire – 2
        • New York - 6
        • North Carolina - 1
        • Oregon - 3
        • Rhode Island - 2
        • Washington state - 39 (includes 10 fatalities)
        • Wisconsin - 1
      • CDC expands coronavirus testing criteria to all US patients with a doctor’s order
      • Japan records its biggest one-day increase in coronavirus infections
      • California records its first coronavirus death
      • Los Angeles County declares health emergency due to coronavirus concerns
      • NYC Department of Education head says school closings will be a "last resort"
      • Iraq announces second coronavirus-related death
      • Dow soars more than 1,100 points to log second-best point gain on record
      • United Airlines cuts flights in the US and internationally as coronavirus shrinks demand
      • New York confirms 5 new cases of coronavirus
      • Slovenia confirms its first case of coronavirus
      • King County sets up 4 new temporary quarantine centers for coronavirus
        • King County, Washington, is setting up more modular buildings to serve as quarantine and isolation units for novel coronavirus cases.
        • County Executive Dow Constantine announced in a news conference today that they now have three sites set aside for the buildings in the communities of White Center, Interbay and North Seattle.

I'm just posting the updates from the DEFCON warning system site since members here don't seem to want to visit there and the person at that site is getting their updates from CNN.

I'm not worried about Coronavirus to the slightest, but I'm really scared of people panicking and acting even more irrationally than they normally do. It's panic and overreaction that will kill us all, not the virus.

We have the first confirmed case here, in Poland. ~100 km from my city.

However, a week ago winter holidays have ended and 80% of people are traveling to Italy for this break. So I'm afraid that soon it will be far worse. Any way - Poland claims to be prepared but people in hospitals are waiting for 50 - 88 hours without any notification from medical staff just to know if they're infected or not.

The Polish government has shown its xenophobic face again, by saying that everyone who leaves the country and come back, should go into quarantine.

I can understand strict measures (checks) when visiting a heavily infected area. Such as Northern Italy...

More than 900 Dutch students went to Northern Italy, for a ski holiday. After they (and the rest of the nation) were advised not to go there. Such stupid behaviour. I just read that they are called back now, and are expected to return on Sunday. Received with "open" arms by the the national public health institute in Groningen.

Last edited:
The Polish government has shown its xenophobic face again, by saying that everyone who leaves the country and come back, should go into quarantine.

I can understand strict measures (checks) when visiting a heavily infected area. Such as Northern Italy...

More than 900 Dutch students went to Northern Italy, for a ski holiday. After they (and the rest of the nation) were advised not to go there. Such stupid behaviour. I just read that they are called back now, and are expected to return on Sunday. Received with "open" arms by the the national public health institute in Groningen.
When did they say something like this? From what I'm seeing it's the opposite - they don't care, they don't want to quarantine anyone, hospitals are sending you to home even if you have symptoms but you didn't travel to Italy and they don't test you, high ranking officials on official media meetings are singing the songs etc. many people think that our government is hiding the real numbers of sick people and is trying to wait as long as they can because we don't have hospitals and doctors in place in case of emergency like this.

But some people are panicking and they demand strict quarantine but this is mostly because we don't have any pieces of information from government. They only told us to wash hands and that's it.

But some people are panicking and they demand strict quarantine but this is mostly because we don't have any pieces of information from government. They only told us to wash hands and that's it.

There really isn't much else to say. What do you want them to tell you?

There really isn't much else to say. What do you want them to tell you?
Well, how about to give easy to access the list of hospitals for those, who are infected? Or a list of steps to take? Instead, we've got politicians fighting in media over who's better at washing hands and fear campaign from newspapers. Instead, the first thing that they did is a document that orders me, private company owner, to do any project that the government will order me to do. So tomorrow I can get a phone call with the order of 2000 websites and I have to take it. And the document is saying that government will not pay back for any damages that they will cause in case of health emergency.

Basically I would love to have clear instructions on what to do when the ship will hit the fan, not to learn about something that I was told 30 years ago in kindergarten.

When did they say something like this? From what I'm seeing it's the opposite - they don't care, they don't want to quarantine anyone, hospitals are sending you to home even if you have symptoms but you didn't travel to Italy and they don't test you, high ranking officials on official media meetings are singing the songs etc. many people think that our government is hiding the real numbers of sick people and is trying to wait as long as they can because we don't have hospitals and doctors in place in case of emergency like this.

Thanks this is an entirely different thing I heard from my parents in law (who live in Poland (Cracow) and may have seen different media, I don't know).
They heard that everyone will be checked at the border, fill in forms when they leave the country.

Well, how about to give easy to access the list of hospitals for those, who are infected? Or a list of steps to take? Instead, we've got politicians fighting in media over who's better at washing hands and fear campaign from newspapers. Instead, the first thing that they did is a document that orders me, private company owner, to do any project that the government will order me to do. So tomorrow I can get a phone call with the order of 2000 websites and I have to take it. And the document is saying that government will not pay back for any damages that they will cause in case of health emergency.

Basically I would love to have clear instructions on what to do when the ship will hit the fan, not to learn about something that I was told 30 years ago in kindergarten.

Most governments have, but people don't listen due to the panic @Ariana was talking about.

Am I the only person that remembers this movie?

Thanks this is an entirely different thing I heard from my parents in law (who live in Poland (Cracow) and may have seen different media, I don't know).
They heard that everyone will be checked at the border, fill in forms when they leave the country.
They're checking passengers and getting information but this is not a quarantine. They're also checking only the symptoms but we all know that this virus is contagious for even 21 days before the symptoms so this is not something that will help very much. Either way Polish media become a propaganda machine for the government and now they trying to show how super professional they are with the best propaganda guidelines from Russia. For example, the main news today is that the patient wants to have a TV in his room because this is so normal situation that this is the biggest crisis that they have. At the same time, almost all hospitals and senate buildings are closing for visitors.

Back