Coronavirus

Well... Church officials in Poland said that they can't get sick. And that you can't get sick by holy water. And that Corvid is punishment for LGTB. Now they're doing things like that in cities.
How do people actually believe this stuff?

If he's driving around and breathing from the roof of a car then he won't be close enough to anyone to infect them. When an infected person coughs they expel thousands of virus particles. The magic number for someone else to be infected is about 20. If someone coughs in a confined space with no ventilation the virus particles will hang around in the air and the next person to walk through that space is very likely to get infected. When this priest is driving around and presumably not coughing any particles coming out with his breath will be thinly distributed around the town so it's highly unlikely that anyone in the street will be infected. People are also going out less so there's almost nobody to infect. As for the driver, the priest's head is not in the car and as long as they are about two meters apart the driver stand a low chance of being infected.

Please try to be rational.

Some people need readily-prepared answers to every question in life in order to feel secure, even if those answers are wrong. And it doesn’t matter what actually happens vs. what they predict, because if they guess right then “it’s all part of God’s plan”, and if they guess wrong then “God works in mysterious ways”. Convenient.

Almost 500 cases and another death. This time in home quarantine. But since they didn't know why exactly this person died it probably won't be in official statistics.

On 10th of May we have elections in Poland, only one candidate (current president) is promoting himself in TV now and ruling party is doing everything to not postpone the election.

793 deaths in Italy yesterday. We're almost at 300k infections worldwide. And worse - New York State now has over 10,000.

Madrid hospitals are saturated and the infected people from now will move to military campaign hospitals. These hospitals need doctors and nurses because there are not enough. It's crazy. It's like an apocalyptic movie. I'm f*cking worried and scared to be honest.

Not only you. Best thing to do is to occupy yourself with something to do. Prepare plans for a day if that's necessary, this will help a little bit - people generally function better when they know what to do and when. It can be something simple like:

6.30 - get up
6.45 - excercise
7.15 - breakfast with family
8.30 - check email
9.00 - work/learn
16.00 - free time
17.00 - call Mom & Dad
Etc.

That's something that I'm normally doing with my little son, he have some problems with concentration etc. and daily plans help him a lot with emotions, he feels safer when he knows what will happen every day.

Other than that - make a list of things that you're afraid of right now with the steps that can make that better and are actionable. Then do it.

Not only you. Best thing to do is to occupy yourself with something to do. Prepare plans for a day if that's necessary, this will help a little bit - people generally function better when they know what to do and when. It can be something simple like:

6.30 - get up
6.45 - excercise
7.15 - breakfast with family
8.30 - check email
9.00 - work/learn
16.00 - free time
17.00 - call Mom & Dad
Etc.

That's something that I'm normally doing with my little son, he have some problems with concentration etc. and daily plans help him a lot with emotions, he feels safer when he knows what will happen every day.

Other than that - make a list of things that you're afraid of right now with the steps that can make that better and are actionable. Then do it.

This. Just do something.

I might add: call your friends. Living together with same people 24/7 for a month with no place to go can drive you crazy.

Well... Church officials in Poland said that they can't get sick. And that you can't get sick by holy water. And that Corvid is punishment for LGTB. Now they're doing things like that in cities.

Poland sounds like Turkey.

Now imagine a society in which most people believed that stuff, in fact, a society in which you'd get punished for daring to question it. Sounds like a dystopia, but it used to be a common occurrence and is still the case in some places.

Some people need readily-prepared answers to every question in life in order to feel secure, even if those answers are wrong. And it doesn’t matter what actually happens vs. what they predict, because if they guess right then “it’s all part of God’s plan”, and if they guess wrong then “God works in mysterious ways”. Convenient.

So frustrating. The kind of thing that makes me either want to break things, or weep.

Reactions: Jer
Poland sounds like Turkey.
It's not that bad. Church didn't noticed that big part of society turned their back on them years ago. They still have strong support in older generation and government. Essentially now, thanks to the actions taken during outbreak by church they have become a laughing stock.

I don't care about them normally but now their actions are dangerous. They closed finally churches but before that they were saying that they will take as many people inside as they can and that's problem for government not them.

It's not that bad. Church didn't noticed that big part of society turned their back on them years ago. They still have strong support in older generation and government. Essentially now, thanks to the actions taken during outbreak by church they have become a laughing stock.

I don't care about them normally but now their actions are dangerous. They closed finally churches but before that they were saying that they will take as many people inside as they can and that's problem for government not them.

It's the exact same things that are occurring in Turkey, hence my comparison. Directorate of Religious Affairs refused to shut down mosques and end daily prayers for a long time, and mosque-going religious people are refusing to give up.

I'm sure Turkey is worse in terms of the number of people who think along the same lines, though. The number of instances where mosque-goers attacked the police for preventing them from going to the mosque is pretty high. We also had a number of pilgrims returning from Mecca put under quarantine that attempted to flee, and there were quite a lot of people defending them saying they'd be protected by God because of their pilgrimage. One of them was already diagnosed with coronavirus, we all know counter-evidence and counter-arguments mean nothing to these morons, though.

I'm not sure we'll have the same laughing stock effect here. The vitriol toward such religious people from secular people is quite strong, though. They continously make appearances as the one group of people not taking coronavirus seriously. One does wonder how much religious beliefs and superstitions contributed to previous pandemics in human history.

Last edited:
I'm not sure we'll have the same laughing stock effect here. The vitriol toward such religious people from secular people is quite strong, though. They continously make appearances as the one group of people not taking coronavirus seriously. One does wonder how much religious beliefs and superstitions contributed to previous pandemics in human history.
There was footage, not too long ago, of people in Iran overwhelming guards to break into mosques to congregate. Yes, it does make us wonder, and we will probably be able to do that style of research in the aftermath of COVID-19 in some countries. Others, doubtful.

Back