Bruce Dickinson

Cool new interview with Roy Z. It's a nearly 2 hour long interview, the bit about Bruce starts around 45'. He tells how they met in detail, and how some songs were created in Mandrake. For example: He says that the music and the title idea for Shadow of the Gods came from him (Roy), the rest Bruce...

He says only good words about Bruce, nothing negative, if I didn't miss anything. But when Rob Halford is asked, he praise him (Rob) a lot. He says that he is the most incredible, most talented, greatest singer he ever had and underlines this few times :)

And I think we found the new legend he worked with in this podcast. He is... drumroll... Arthur Brown! He says that the legendary singer is like 80 years old and he recorded this new song with him and his band, and it's coming up this Friday.

:) One of Bruce's idols u know. Now things are getting interesting :)

Anyway here is the Spotify link for the interview (I didnt listen to the last 24 minutes, if anything interesting there inform us)

for other platforms:

Last edited:
Cool new interview with Roy Z. It's a nearly 2 hour long interview, the bit about Bruce starts around 48'. He tells how they met, and how some songs were created in Mandrake. For example: He says that the music and the title idea for Shadow of the Gods came from him (Roy), the rest Bruce...

He says only good words about Bruce, nothing negative, if I didn't miss anything. But when Rob Halford is asked, he praise him (Rob) a lot. He says that he is the most incredible, most talented, greatest singer he ever had and underlines this few times :)

And I think we found the new legend he worked with in this podcast. He is... drumroll... Arthur Brown! He says that the legendary singer is like 80 years old and he recorded this new song with him and his band, and it's coming up this Friday.

Anyway here is the Spotify link for the interview (I didnt listen to the last 24 minutes, if anything interesting there inform us)

for other platforms:
Thanks for sharing!!!

Cool new interview with Roy Z. It's a nearly 2 hour long interview, the bit about Bruce starts around 45'. He tells how they met in detail, and how some songs were created in Mandrake. For example: He says that the music and the title idea for Shadow of the Gods came from him (Roy), the rest Bruce...

for other platforms:

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for sharing. I have to admit that Roy's behavior is odd. Maybe he has some personal issues, I don't think Bruce has a problem with him. All the surprising upcoming projects. Rob is amazing, but you can't say that when you've worked with Bruce - those characteristic are perfectly applied to him, and the best imo. Maybe he wants more say in the writing, idk anymore, but he repeated that this is Bruce's solo albums after all. Plus they have a lot of songwriting freedom. Let's not forget that Bruce wrote 4 songs on his own for the album, when they have other demos. And I've yet to hear a good excuse for the album not having solos or many riffs. I mean, he recorded songs, riffs and solos last year(!).

The curious bits I gathered:
When he first met Bruce while recording BTP album, he was listening to TOG's song ''Fire Dance''.

The most meaningful song he wrote is TOG's ''We All Bleed Red''.

Russ Ballard is one of his songwriting idols.

He likes Samson.

They had 8 demos for BTP album (I guess without Tears and Clowns).

Roy was at Bruce's Dive! Dive! Live! concert video in the audience.

He said that some bits of ''Sonata'' were written for the Three Tremors project and that it's a very cosmic sounding song.

''Mistress Of Mercy'' is in Drop D. One of the songs Bruce showed to Steve in 2014?

He likes some of Bruce's lyrics, but some he doesn't ''understand'' for lack of a better word. He doesn't ask though.

One of his favorite songs that he did with Rob is ''Till The Day I Die'' from 2010. And that he will made his version longer because he co-wrote it. What this means? He will play some live shows on his own?

His instrumental project(?) is called Chemical Z. Atmospheric stuff he's a big fan of. Like Bruce.
... so he has some projects like this, the rumored TOG new music, his signature guitar is on the way - the guitar he recorded TMP with.

Funny story how he co-wrote his song on Priest's 2005 album. There was an argument with Glenn and KK. ''Judas Rising'' riff is from 1982 (SFV sessions) and Roy found it. He suggested the song to have a Victim Of Changes-like intro.
He likes ''Hot Rockin''' and ''Desert Plains''.

He loves hip-hop!

He is changing the lyrics for the remastered version supposedly produced by Mr Z :ninja:
Maybe he is altering the lyrics just enough to register the songs with him being the sole songwriter.

:ninja:

GATES OF REMASTER
(Dickinson/Ramirez)
(Dickinson)

From tour gone, you stayed at home
All blame shifted to just one
Now you play the victim
Carried by the wine, ranted on Facebook
If you want to keep the friendship
Close your mouth

At the gates of Remaster
Ramirez fades away
At the gates of Remaster
Fallen songwriters blaze
At the gates of Remaster
Eternal collaborations are damned
At the gates of Remaster
Separate lives begin

Why does he wear the beanie though when he's got such a great head of hair for a man approaching 70, hes follically blessed like Jan and Nicko...Steve and Adrian less so with their big foreheads now, Davey a bit less so and has had work done, and Blaze and Paul.. well.....

Like here at 1:13

Anyway hair aside the man's just an unbelievable frontman isn't he.

Why does he wear the beanie though when he's got such a great head of hair for a man approaching 70, hes follically blessed like Jan and Nicko...Steve and Adrian less so with their big foreheads now, Davey a bit less so and has had work done, and Blaze and Paul.. well.....

Like here at 1:13

Anyway hair aside the man's just an unbelievable frontman isn't he.
It's probably got something to do with hiding his increasingly obvious bald spot, especially now after he's made noise about being in his 60s with a full head of hair and growing it out "because he can" or something to that effect.

("Book of Thel") Un petit livre de mots écrits par le poète William Blake. C'est un petit cauchemar. As we open for you... Et vous ici, c'est nécessaire de faire le *furieuse jumping, de sauter furieuse dans cette chanson. Ah oui, ah oui, le cercle... qu'est-ce que vous voulez. *On ouvré, we open for you, Hellfest, The Book of Thel.
A little book of words written by the poet William Blake. It's a little nightmare. As we open for you... And you here, you have to jump furiously during this song. Ah, ah yes, the circle... whatever you want. We open for you, Hellfest, the Book of Thel.
:)
Was listening to the show yesterday, and noticed his use of "furious jumping." It rang a bell, and then I remembered me and the wife watched Poor Things on a cruise a few weeks ago, and Emma Stone's character called sex "furious jumping," so I had to come back here and dig up the translation to see if he was talking about banging. Sadly, it was just about the crowd jumping during the song, it seems. :confused:

(some translation are interpretations, to convey some kind of clear meaning ;) )

("Afterglow of Ragnarok") "Un doigt vers le ciel tout le monde. *Il n'est pas la fin du monde, non, c'est seulement le commencement d'un nouveau monde. Après "The Afterglow of Ragnarok "."
*Ce n'est pas
A (middle) finger to the sky everybody. This is not the end of the world, no, it's just the beginning of a new world. After "the afterglow of Ragnarok".

("
The Chemical Wedding") "Oh oui. Où est le soleil ?! Non, le soleil, c'est terminé. Seulement, un peu de savon, laver les cheveux. C'est libre, gratuit. Avec le/ l'huile chimique (?) peut-être ? Avec le mariage chimique ! The Chemical Wedding, my friends!"
Oh yes. Where is the sun ? No, sun is over. Just a bit of soap, to wash your hair. It's free. With chemical oil, maybe ? With the chemical wedding!

("Resurrection Men") "Maintenant, dans le Mandrake Project, il y a des personnes... et qu'est-ce que c'est, le Mandrake Project ? You know, une bande dessinée. Qu'est-ce que c'est ? C'est un projet secret. Professeur Lazarus, mais c'est qui ? Docteur Necropolis, c'est qui ? Et pourquoi ? Le nom de les deux* : the Resurrection Men "
*Tous deux sont appelés
Now, in The Mandrake Project, there are people... and what is The Mandrake Project? You know, a comic. What is it? It's a secret project. Who is Professor Lazarus? Who is Doctor Necropolis? And why? These men are called: the Resurrection Men!

("Rain on the Graves") J'aime marcher dans *le cimetière anglaise. Pareil avec les poètes mythiques, anciens, par exemple William Wordsworth. Bon, il dit rien. William Blake, mon ami. *Il est endorme. Mais, au coin, il y a un homme avec les yeux rouges, et il demande à moi : "Tu es ici pour quoi exactement ? Ne mentez pas parce que je connais. Et à chaque moment, comme ça, comme ici ce soir, il commence la pluie. La pluie sur la tombe. The Rain on the Graves!"
I like walking in English cemetaries. Like mythic, ancient poets, for instance William Wordsworth. Well, does it ring a bell? (or "he doesn't say anything). William Blake, my friend. He's sleeping. But, in the corner, there is man with red eyes, and he asks me: "What are you here for, exactly? Don't lie, because I know." And everytime, like this, like here tonight, it starts raining...

("Book of Thel") Un petit livre de mots écrits par le poète William Blake. C'est un petit cauchemar. As we open for you... Et vous ici, c'est nécessaire de faire le *furieuse jumping, de sauter furieuse dans cette chanson. Ah oui, ah oui, le cercle... qu'est-ce que vous voulez. *On ouvré, we open for you, Hellfest, The Book of Thel.
A little book of words written by the poet William Blake. It's a little nightmare. As we open for you... And you here, you have to jump furiously during this song. Ah, ah yes, the circle... whatever you want. We open for you, Hellfest, the Book of Thel.

("The Alchemist") Il y a des sorciers, il y a des sorcières ! Et il y a des alchimistes.
There are warlocks, there are witches! And there are alchemists.

("Darkside of Aquarius") Vous êtes formidables, ce soir ! Formidables, pendant la pluie ! Yeah, fin du monde... non, pas fin du monde, mais prochain chanson c'est une prophécie.*Inadvertant, accidentelle... Il y a un nouveau âge, the age of Aquarius mais il est... a darkside of Aquarius... [during the bass intro] c'est la dernière chanson, nous avons seulement soixante minutes, désolé... après, c'est le maître nextdoor, mais maintenant, c'est nous et vous seulement.
You are great tonight! Great, despite the rain! Yeah, end of the wold? No, not the end of the world, but the next song is a prophecy. Inadvertent, accidental... There is a new age, the age of Aquarius but there is... a darkside of Aquarius [during the bass intro... and kind of surprised] it's the last song, we only have sixty minutes, sorry... afterwards, it is the master nextdoor [obviously referring to Metallica] but now, it is us and you only.

All French speakers around here, feel free to improve that. :)

Thanks for all the transcriptions and translations.

Someone should have told him that nobody seemed to care who the resurrection men are though. :p

Last edited:
I admit that I don't know much about comics, but I would imagine that anyone interested in these topics wouldn't want to necessarily read about them in a comic by Bruce Dickinson?

Don't you have to order them? I didn't think they were on general sale in comic shops

The promotional blurb mentioned it being available in comic stores...

Back