Bruce Dickinson

Little fun fact: Ian D'Sa, the sole guitarist of Billy Talent, used to be in high school band when he was a kid. They had a second guitarist who quit, so he decided to change his playing style and started incorporating lead and rhythm playing at the same time resulting in an incredibly unique playing style. He never fails to write super creative riffs.

That said, everyone go and listen to some Billy Talent :p

But yeah, no one can really cover for two guitarists. Trying one guitar and one keytar is a neat experiment, but having two guitars (plus keyboards I guess) is simply the better choice.
Bloody hell. I attempted to play some Billy Talent when I first got an electric guitar thinking 'oh it's punky, it'll be easy'. No. Absolutely not.

He's definitely playing multiple guitar parts on one guitar. He has the most ridiculous reach with his left hand and uses mostly tricky chord shapes. Hats off the the guy. I've seen them live once and would do it again. Ypu just need to get past the singer's bratty voice, although that works well with punk.

Bloody hell. I attempted to play some Billy Talent when I first got an electric guitar thinking 'oh it's punky, it'll be easy'. No. Absolutely not.

He's definitely playing multiple guitar parts on one guitar. He has the most ridiculous reach with his left hand and uses mostly tricky chord shapes. Hats off the the guy. I've seen them live once and would do it again. Ypu just need to get past the singer's bratty voice, although that works well with punk.
Fully agreed on all points! The voice is an acquired taste and he's grown as a singer quite considerably from their third album onwards. Learned Saint Veronika a while ago and it's super fun to play. Really satisfying to nail all the riffs, though I still mess the chorus riff up sometimes lol. And the madman manages to sing harmonies and play at the same time, utterly insane how talented he is.

Problem with rain on the graves is that it demand restrain to work well. If band or Bruce is overdoing it - it can become parody song very easy.
Yeah. And the keys should be higher in the mix for it.
before Mandrake his most popular songs on Spotify were: Tears, Road to Hell, Man of Sorrows and Navigate... He played none :D Bold move!
Indeed. I think next year (or for the 3rd leg/or the next solo album tour) he might debut a song again - and I hope it's Man Of Sorrows. Or Omega. Otherwise, I expect more stuff from TOS album and TMP ofc.

For last night's show they brought back: Tears, Road, Tower, Faith, Jerusalem and the full cover. Book stayed, but Aquarius not. His hardest song.
But I think that band overall is very good and I would say that Bruce should record another album with that lineup.
Tbh, I'm really curious about Bruce making an album with this band.

Last edited:
Indeed. I think next year (or for the 3rd leg/or the next solo album tour) he might debut a song again - and I hope it's Man Of Sorrows. Otherwise, I expect more stuff from TOS album.
It's pretty exciting to think about how the following tours are going to play out. Right now he's getting a feel for what works and what doesn't and he's trying various things. Let's say he releases the next album, will he do it similar to Maiden? As in, a third or so of the setlist being new songs, a good half maybe the classics (many of the songs he's playing currently) and then a few deep cuts or songs that haven't been played live?

He has a lot of freedom in choosing how to continue and that's super exciting to me.

Tbh, I'm really curious about Bruce making an album with this band.
Same. They're all clearly talented and great musicians. We don't know how their songwriting is, but I believe Bruce would be the final arbiter for any decision. Makes me think of Maiden, where Steve has to approve everything and where he co-writes with composers like Dave, who usually don't write entire songs themselves.

Someone recorded and...........

Thanks for sharing this.

There's rain at Hellfest, there's rain at Hellfest, there's rain at Hellfest, rain, rain, rain...

Good gig, with a solid band, and it is great to hear those songs off The Chemical Wedding live (the new material really pales in comparison). Good performance from Bruce, although it is somewhat sad to hear him struggling so much with Darkside of Aquarius at the end of a rather short set. :(

There is a change right before the first chorus too. Can't remember what words.
Omg, you're right. Original lyrics are: In taurus we begin it and the ladder has begun, but he sings and the ladder falls away.
Maybe Bruce thinks that this version is more appropriate, like some words in Fear of the Dark he have changed.

It's pretty exciting to think about how the following tours are going to play out. Right now he's getting a feel for what works and what doesn't and he's trying various things. Let's say he releases the next album, will he do it similar to Maiden? As in, a third or so of the setlist being new songs, a good half maybe the classics (many of the songs he's playing currently) and then a few deep cuts or songs that haven't been played live?
He has a lot of freedom in choosing how to continue and that's super exciting to me.
^For sure yes. And it's really curious if he will play more new songs from the next solo album. I also wonder how many years the current tour will continue, I feel Bruce will need a ''theme'' for his tours. Like in 2002. Not just hits, but who knows.
Same. They're all clearly talented and great musicians. We don't know how their songwriting is, but I believe Bruce would be the final arbiter for any decision. Makes me think of Maiden, where Steve has to approve everything and where he co-writes with composers like Dave, who usually don't write entire songs themselves.
I think so too.
although it is somewhat sad to hear him struggling so much with Darkside of Aquarius at the end of a rather short set. :(
I don't think the position in the set matters that much, like Aces High for example.

Omg, you're right. Original lyrics are: In taurus we begin it and the ladder has begun, but he sings and the ladder falls away.
Maybe Bruce thinks that this version is more appropriate, like some words in Fear of the Dark he have changed.
He is changing the lyrics for the remastered version supposedly produced by Mr Z :ninja:

Back