365 Albums In One Year

Melanie's album is brilliant. There's no other way to put it, in my opinion. I became a fan of hers since she dropped the album (which is her debut album, mind you) in 2015. Billie Eilish received comparisons to her, but only because both are freaky and creepy, not because of the sound. Melanie is a genius songwriter, and created a wonderfully disturbing story about an outcast little girl turned villain, and it worked brilliantly. Production is out of this world, and even when she doesn't really impress with the lyrics or melodies, she manages to keep you interested by experimenting with all kinds of different instruments and child-inspired sounds. It's a complete perversion of one's childhood. And the visuals only add to that.

A6B11093-E5A5-4A14-A1D3-748E6209D592.jpeg
Album 81/365

1. Revolution Lover - Interesting song. Don’t think it’s mindblowing but it’s solid at the very least. Some good hooks throughout certainly help. It’s definitely good, just don’t think it’ll be a favorite of mine. 7/10

2. I Split My Ribs Open - This one very nearly knocked it out of the park. I love the music hear, the vocals are pretty great, and the vibe is fantastic. Unfortunately it sorta loses its path when the rapping starts. It’s a good rap, but man, I wish the song had just continued going in the direction it set out in at first. Good, could have been a bit better, but I definitely like this one. 8/10

3. I Don’t Trust U Anymore - Damn, this one's great. From the first line - “You made me believe in hell!” - it’s a sassy takedown of today’s politicians with some really smart lyricism and I love it. That break in the middle is awesome too. Maybe not my favorite song ever but I dig it. 9/10

4. Waiting On A Ghost - Some sexy guitar and some more cool lyrics. This was a cool song for sure. Not quite as good as the previous two but I liked it. 7/10

Quite a solid EP overall. Nat is certainly a talented gal and I look forward to checking out some other stuff of hers in future.

Rating: 78%

3. Shoot You In The Back - Eh. 5/10

5. Fast And Loose - Eh. 3/10

7. Fire Fire - Eh. 4/10

8. Jailbait - Eh. 4/10

9. Dance - Eh. 3/10

10. Bite The Bullet - Short but sweet enough to get above average. 6/10

11. The Chase Is Better Than The Catch - The driving beat is good enough to bring it up to above average. 6/10

12. The Hammer - What is this, just a reinvention of "Ace Of Spades"? Well, it does it well enough I guess. It is one of the best songs on the album. 7/10

Revisiting this thread was a mistake.

EDIT: Jailbait has one of the best riffs Fast Eddie Clark's ever played.

I understand. If you don't invest a lot of time into their albums, they can all sound same-y. I started listening to them in 2012 and it wasn't until 2016 when I had a good grasp and understanding/respect of all the albums in their catalog. Some were instant stickers for me (Overkill, Ace of Spades, Rock n Roll, Bastards, Aftershock), while a lot of them were slow burners. And I mean a lot of them. Their stuff can easily blur together. And they're an interesting band like that. They have the instantly gratifying rockers a la Overkill, Ace of Spades, Iron Fist, Mean Machine, etc., but then there are a lot of cuts in their discography that take a lot of time to appreciate and on a surface level don't have much to offer.

AFB0F096-9DDC-46CD-9511-920847ACC60B.jpeg
Album 82/365

Definitely the weakest Eminem album I’ve heard yet, he’s really starting to blur here. “Mockingbird” is fantastic, “Like Tin Soldiers” and “Ass Like That” are cool, the rest are wildly inconsistent. Some good stuff, way to much filler. Maybe it’s time to keep the runtime under an hour?

Rating: 60%

I understand. If you don't invest a lot of time into their albums, they can all sound same-y. I started listening to them in 2012 and it wasn't until 2016 when I had a good grasp and understanding/respect of all the albums in their catalog. Some were instant stickers for me (Overkill, Ace of Spades, Rock n Roll, Bastards, Aftershock), while a lot of them were slow burners. And I mean a lot of them. Their stuff can easily blur together. And they're an interesting band like that. They have the instantly gratifying rockers a la Overkill, Ace of Spades, Iron Fist, Mean Machine, etc., but then there are a lot of cuts in their discography that take a lot of time to appreciate and on a surface level don't have much to offer.
Yeah I get that too. I don’t think that Motörhead is the band for me. Maybe they’ll grow but I doubt it.

Yeah if theyre not for you, theyre not for you. I didnt want it to seem like I was pressuring you back into listening to them, theyre just a band I like a lot.

Motörhead took some time for me too. Part of it was that I had to shift my perception of them as a Metal band to seeing them the way Lemmy sees them: a rock and roll band. It’s a subtle and maybe frivolous distinction, but I think it gets to the core of what the band is all about and how they were innovators within the s genre.

Nah I get it. The best description for Motörhead I’ve heard is that they’re a lot like whiskey — rough, not for everyone, but if you can get into them then damn they’re good. I’ve never dived into their stuff but I’ve heard them on the radio and apart from “Ace of Spades” I really just personally can’t say that they’re my cup of tea.

View attachment 9131
Album 82/365

Definitely the weakest Eminem album I’ve heard yet, he’s really starting to blur here. “Mockingbird” is fantastic, “Like Tin Soldiers” and “Ass Like That” are cool, the rest are wildly inconsistent. Some good stuff, way to much filler. Maybe it’s time to keep the runtime under an hour?

Rating: 60%
Don’t know what album it’s on, but what is your opinion on ‘Fack’?

And they don't deviate much from Ace of Spades. Not to say they ever really played it safe or phoned in their albums, but the sonic blueprint never changes through their career.

I would actually go back a bit to Overkill or Bomber. You might also try Hawkwind to hear something entirely different that Lemmy was part of.

I would actually go back a bit to Overkill or Bomber. You might also try Hawkwind to hear something entirely different that Lemmy was part of.
Oh man, I'm thinking of his bass riff on assault and battery right now. So good.

Back