Your Maiden blasphemy

Nope. I like that cover a lot, never saw the problem with it.

Am I the only one who doesn't think the cover art for VXI is bad?

Probably, yes! The ugly kid with the VR-visor, the football field and the "Iron Maiden"-logo that looks like it's from a 90's PC game make it the worst cover ever, for me. And people complain about the Dance of Death cover... That one at least has a working composition/colour scheme.

Probably, yes! The ugly kid with the VR-visor, the football field and the "Iron Maiden"-logo that looks like it's from a 90's PC game make it the worst cover ever, for me. And people complain about the Dance of Death cover... That one at least has a working composition/colour scheme.
Well it was the 90's, and they did release a PC game too, and the album has the word Virtual in it..so that seems to be what they were going for.

I don't mind the team on the field at all either.

Yup, nothing to add here, that's how it is.

I respect the way AMG details his opinions, and his right to have them however he wants them.

However, I am in complete disagreement with him on almost everything Iron Maiden. So, good for him. Glad he has a platform, glad he makes money on his ads or whatever, but I think he is not a very notable Iron Maiden fan.

Well it was the 90's, and they did release a PC game too, and the album has the word Virtual in it..so that seems to be what they were going for.

I don't mind the team on the field at all either.

Ed Hunter (pc game) is pretty poor unfortunately.
They could have done it so much better.
Obviously the music is awesome but the gameplay is terrible.
It's railed and there's only one way to go, plus the targeting system is all over the place.:(

- I don't like so much songs likes The Ides of March, Where Eagles Dare and Moonchild because of their introductions.

- About DOD, I think musically it's very classy and mature, but not better than BNW. BNW is a masterpiece.

- I really cannot understand why people rates Virtual XI better than FOTD.

- Now, brace yourselves: I don't think TECNICALLY Steve Harris is among the best bass players of the world. I mean, we never seen him playing solos, playing another music styles, giving bass lessons, etc. He is a great songwritter and is the soul of Iron Maiden, but I really want to see him showing more of his talent.

Last edited:
If the trooper was released nowadays it would be considered a fairly average rocker, maybe even a bit fillerish. Maybe ...

In the same vein I wonder how many short reunion songs would be considered classics had they been released 20 years earlier.

If the trooper was released nowadays it would be considered a fairly average rocker, maybe even a bit fillerish. Maybe ...

I'm not sure about filler, but possibly self-parody. Post-80s there's been a greater expectation for rock/metal to be gritty, melancholic or have more gravity, unless it's deliberately tongue-in-cheek camp.

Post-80s there's been a greater expectation for rock/metal to be gritty, melancholic or have more gravity, unless it's deliberately tongue-in-cheek camp.

Yes, sadly. I know a lot of people like the direction popular rock has headed, but I am frankly saddened by it. In the 60s and 70s rock could be fun and relaxed, while also having the ability to be controversial without the insecure need to be "angry" or "melancholic". In the 80s rock could be epic, powerful, and in-your-face without being seen as goofy for it. But now, rock is afraid to do any of that. At least that's the impression I get from the radio.

Well, I for one feel that IM went against this trend and mostly stuck to their feel and themes for over three decades. It's one of the things that makes them so great. Hah! Sorry, I guess this thread's about unpopular opinions - I hope this isn't one!

Am I the only one who doesn't love Ghost of the Navigator so much? To me, it's at best, the 7th best song from BNW.

(A 1000th post) - Yes, to me it's #1 song from BNW, barely edging out Dream of Mirrors :)

P.S. - Which might be a controversial opinion in itself...

Am I the only one who doesn't love Ghost of the Navigator so much? To me, it's at best, the 7th best song from BNW.

Nope. In my opinion the only one worse than that is The Nomad, and even then I appreciate the irony in the fact The Nomad never goes anywhere as a song. :p

My unpopular opinion would actually be that BNW is the worst reunion album.

Dude.... It's a Heavy Metal Band

"Excuse me while I tend to how I feel, as things return to me that still seem real" - Metallica; Hero of the Day
"Abuse your faith, cheat & rob, if god is wise, why is he still, when these false prophets call him friends, why is he silent, is he blind, are we abandoned in the end?" - Motorhead; God Was Never on Your Side
"Politicians hide themselves away, they only started the war, why should they go out to fight, they leave that all to the poor" - Black Sabbath; War Pigs
"For all respect you cannot lust, in an invisible man you place your trust, indirect dependency, eternal attempt at amnesty" - Slayer; Jesus Saves
Justice means nothing today
Now that the courts are for sale
"Pick a crime from the menu, pick a sentence and defend you, and pick up the down payment called bail, the system's for sale!" - Megadeth; Kick the Chair.

These are all fascinating pieces of writing in my opinions that all raise interesting questions, even if I don't entirely agree with all of them. Not all heavy metal's about sex drugs and rock and roll.

My unpopular opinion is that for a moment I thought "I kind of hope they don't make another album because the last couple have disappointed me and I don't want them to get worse and worse and tarnish their legacy". I'm guessing mine will be more unpopular than yours :lol:

Dance of Death is mediocre with the exception of some great tracks and sometimes interesting ideas and The Final Frontier is Maiden at their worst. I enjoyed A Matter of Life and Death though despite it's flaws (and it took time to grow on me) and I loved The Book of Souls.

Dance of Death is mediocre with the exception of some great tracks and sometimes interesting ideas and The Final Frontier is Maiden at their worst. I enjoyed A Matter of Life and Death though despite it's flaws (and it took time to grow on me) and I loved The Book of Souls.

I am in total agreement on your The Final Frontier verdict here. Very poor album for Maiden, from artwork through to the music and the execution. A real low point. The Book Of Souls has, so far and it is still early days on my experience with it, restored my faith in Maiden's ability when it concerns new records. Right now I'm even hoping they carry on creating, but with The Final Frontier it was severe stagnation for me. For a few years after 2010 I was even thinking "Go on, announce retirement now. Quit while you're still somewhat ahead".

"Excuse me while I tend to how I feel, as things return to me that still seem real" - Metallica; Hero of the Day
"Abuse your faith, cheat & rob, if god is wise, why is he still, when these false prophets call him friends, why is he silent, is he blind, are we abandoned in the end?" - Motorhead; God Was Never on Your Side
"Politicians hide themselves away, they only started the war, why should they go out to fight, they leave that all to the poor" - Black Sabbath; War Pigs
"For all respect you cannot lust, in an invisible man you place your trust, indirect dependency, eternal attempt at amnesty" - Slayer; Jesus Saves
Justice means nothing today
Now that the courts are for sale
"Pick a crime from the menu, pick a sentence and defend you, and pick up the down payment called bail, the system's for sale!" - Megadeth; Kick the Chair.

These are all fascinating pieces of writing in my opinions that all raise interesting questions, even if I don't entirely agree with all of them. Not all heavy metal's about sex drugs and rock and roll.

I think you missed the point too

Back