Your Maiden blasphemy

mckindog

Living for Sanctuary from the law
Staff member
Inspired by the Daily Song thread with a touch of your Deepest Darkest Secrets thrown in:
On what Maiden tracks does your personal opinion differ strongly from the Maidenfans consensus?
I'd like to hear one crapped-on song you love, and one beloved song that leaves you screaming "why? WHY?" and your reasons.

I gave From Here to Eternity a nine when most want The Beast and Charlotte to drive off a cliff. I just think the track has great energy and is great fun.
Moonchild sucks: bad singing, annoying melodies and a rhythmic barrage that makes me want to hide my head, not bang it.

mckindog said:
Moonchild sucks: bad singing, annoying melodies and a rhythmic barrage that makes me want to hide my head, not bang it.

Blasphemy!

My blasphemy is that I pretend the album after Seventh Son of a Seventh Son is Brave New World (No Prayer for the who? Fear of the what? X-Fact-how? Vitual X-why?). Also I think Paschendale is about 4 minutes too long and while I consider it a decent song, I just don't see it in Iron Maiden's top 4 songs. Actually it's not even my 4th favorite song from Dance of Death (Face in the Sand, Rainmaker, Dance of Death, No More Lies, PFD)

Damn, I don't think I have one of those. I sorta like The Assasin a bit more then most, but I don't love it.

I used to really love Sun and Steel, but it doesn't have the same impact on me today.

As for good songs I don't like, there's no such thing. I love 90% of Maiden's songs, and the other 10% I either like or I'm just ok with..

The Assassin once was my favorite on No Prayer and I will ALWAYS defend Sun and Steel. I may even like it more than PFD. (I hope SMX doesn't ban me.)

It seems that most of the people don't like The Assassin but I think that it's a great song.
I think that Paschendale is overrated because there are better songs on Dance Of Death, like the title track, Journeyman, No More Lies and Rainmaker. I like Paschendale, but it really is overrated.

I also have a list of songs I'm (still) not a fan of, so I'll post it here:
Songs I can't stand: Innocent Exile, Purgatory, Drifter, Quest For Fire.
Songs I still can't get into: The Ides Of March, Genghis Khan, Losfer Words (Big 'Orra), The Duellists, The Prophecy, Fates Warning, Run Silent Run Deep, Hooks In You, all songs from Fear Of The Dark except the ones played on Live At Donington, Look For The Truth, The Edge Of Darkness, 2 A.M., The Unbeliever, The Educated Fool, Como Estais Amigos, Gates Of Tomorrow, New Frontier.

Oh this is good!

Classic song I hate? Aces High. I can't STAND Bruce's voice in this one. I've heard his voice being described as an air raid siren before and it fits for this song. WAY to high at times to the point of being grating (and this is from a guy that loves Power Metal)

Some people here agree with me on this next one, but the Maiden Community as a whole does not. Aside from Infinite Dreams, I literally despise 7th son of a 7th son. Specially the title track.

I like The Assassin and New Frontier considerably more than most do.  I also still enjoy all the "hit" single songs from the 80's too.  I don't think I'll ever tire of The Trooper.

I absolutely hate Dream of Mirrors.  It builds and builds for 5 minutes and the payoff isn't worth it.  And it's nearly as repetitive as Angel and the Gambler and about half as fun.  When I saw them in 2000 I used the restroom and got a few beers during this song.  Dreadful. 

I like New Frontier and am not a big fan of Blood Brothers (seems to anthem-y for me).

I don't care for Blood Brothers so much, either. Bruce wasn't meant to sing the song; I feel he butchers it a bit.

I find Infinite Dreams to be 100% boring. I can't remember the last time I listened to the song on its own. I skip it during shuffles.

I have lots of such songs (some of them are estimations: especially the post-FOTD category I am not 100% sure of yet, I tried it but I might be wrong) and I'd like to make these following categories.
NOTE: where I say the forum, I mean a majority of the forum (the difference differs per song).
People who support my choices: you (and I) know who you are!  ;)

The ones in bold are the kings of these songs, because I am in a very small minority and the other category is an immense majority.

Songs I like a lot or I even find them brilliant vs songs the forum dislikes:
Quest For Fire

Songs I like a lot or I even find them brilliant vs songs the forum finds OK:
Total Eclipse
Mother Russia
The Fugitive
Blood on the World's Hands
The Unbeliever
The Pilgrim
The Mercenary

Songs I find OK vs songs the forum likes a lot or even finds them brilliant:
Murders in the Rue Morgue
The Prisoner
The Number of the Beast
Run to the Hills
Where Eagles Dare
Revelations
Moonchild
The Edge of Darkness
When Two Worlds Collide
No More Lies
Montsegur
Face in the Sand

Songs I find OK vs songs the forum dislikes:
Hooks in You
Fear is the Key
The Apparition
Weekend Warrior

The Angel and the Gambler
Gates of Tomorrow
Age of Innocence

Songs I dislike (not a lot) vs songs the forum likes a lot or even finds them brilliant:
The Talisman

Songs I dislike (not a lot) vs songs the forum finds OK:
Wildest Dreams

I don't get the big deal about Starblind.  And, with the benefit of time since its release, I think the entire Final Frontier album is so-so. 

I also think The X Factor is greatly overrated on this forum, and Fortunes of War is embarrassingly bad. 

I don't understand where the hate for Gates of Tomorrow comes from, I really like it.

I can't really think of any songs I really dislike, that the majority on here likes.

@Foro: I'd say you are exaggerating a bit. I think the point here is songs you really, really don't like (but that are generally loved), not songs you like a little more or a little less than the majority  ;) But I appreciate the effort you put into elaborating on your opinions. You do things thoroughly, credit for that.

I don't like The Trooper and I think that Run To The Hills is ridiculously over the top in its drama. And I like Gates Of Tomorrow very much.

Reactions: Nyx
Eddies Wingman said:
Some of the stuff I've read in this thread is really blasphemy. Outright dislike for Aces High, Infinite Dreams and The Trooper? You lot belong in a closed ward.

I'm Napoleon Bonaparte. You can't lock me away in a ward.

Eddies Wingman said:
@Foro: I'd say you are exaggerating a bit. I think the point here is songs you really, really don't like (but that are generally loved), not songs you like a little more or a little less than the majority  ;)  

I know what you mean but I am not sure if that was the only goal. I think I really did this:
Songs where my opinion differs strongly from the Maidenfans consensus.

Revelations is a great example where difference in liking is not huge, but where the difference in size of groups is huge. I belong a very tiny percentage of people who thinks this song is not worth an 8 or higher (a huge amount of people disagrees), so here my opinion differs strongly from the Maidenfans consensus.

Eddies Wingman said:
But I appreciate the effort you put into elaborating on your opinions. You do things thoroughly, credit for that.

Thanks, I took a lot of time for it. :)

portermoresby said:
I'm Napoleon Bonaparte. You can't lock me away in a ward.

That cracked me up :D

@ Foro, I for one share your love for Quest for Fire lol and I found myself agreeing with you on 90% of your list...

When it comes to Quest for Fire, I'm divided. The lyrics are dumb, but I find the music very enjoyable. And for the shorter songs I tend to put less emphasis on lyrics. Poor lyrics is a bigger issue when we talk about epics (like Alexander). So the conclusion must be that I like it. I'm quite shocked whenever I see people mentioning it among their "worst 10 Maiden songs".

Back