What guitar do you play?

Well it's a story with semi-happy ending, I guess. I got my Jem body back, my TC and my Les Paul (without pickups and bridge of course). He said that he still thinks that I took the pickups, because he has no evidence pointing in any other direction (I said that I didn't take any of his tools or my pickups, he doesn't believe me...). The bridge of my LP was lent to another guy without me knowing and he promised me that he'll get it before the end of the week (we'll see about that).

As @Brigantium said the guy is a complete conman and hyperactive.

So, no police for now, thankfully (I can't be arsed to do all of the paperwork).

Anyway, I think, I'll try to refinish and refret my Jem myself, as I hate the finish on 7DBK. I'm thinking of see-through blue stain or black to dark blue burst. I guess I'll have to learn how to refret guitars myself too, as the LP needs 2 new frets and Jem needs a complete refret (thank god there is some good tutorials on YT).

I can sleep tonight. At least a bit.

That's probably the root of all evil, at least in these parts...
Yes it is.

The sentance used cca 50 years ago:
He sold his soul to the devil.

Basically translates to (in a capitalistic world nowadays):
He got scammed by a friend of a friend.

I am looking for a Gibson LP Tribute 2018 Satin Gold, as this is the closest "The Holy Goldtop"-like for my budget. Has anyone tried it so far? Any thoughts? It is not available in the shops around here and the only way to get it is to place the order and hope to like it.

I bought a guitar few years ago but due to uni never had time to play it and gave it to a kid who is gonna buy it off me, so I wanna reinvest that money into a guitar that I'm actually gonna play :p
I liked the guitar. I was noodling around trying to learn chords and stuff when I bought it in early 2013, but uni swallowed me and even when I had free time I would just watch movies or football 'cause studying something else, even if it was guitar, was grueling to me. So it was gathering dust for years and when a friend told me his little brother wanted to buy a guitar I just offered him to practice on mine for free. But the kid is getting good at it, writing songs and stuff, so I don't wanna separate him from it, so I'm gonna sell it to him.
So the kid's mom isn't letting him buy the guitar so I'm getting it back soon. Gonna try and put an actual effort into playing it :p

I am looking for a Gibson LP Tribute 2018 Satin Gold, as this is the closest "The Holy Goldtop"-like for my budget. Has anyone tried it so far? Any thoughts? It is not available in the shops around here and the only way to get it is to place the order and hope to like it.

Haven't tried the particular guitar, but am familiar with the general line/pricepoint from Gibson. Bottom line is, they're never going to satisfy a want for a classic Gibson model - but they can be nice guitars.

Still is a lot of money for half the experience (at best) of what you really want.

Anyway, I think, I'll try to refinish and refret my Jem myself

Apologies for digging up an older post, but did you have any luck with refinishing your JEM? I've been considering refinishing my Ibanez RG (I saw a beautiful matte black Charvel Strat the other day and got jealous) but I'm not sure the best way to go about it.

Apologies for digging up an older post, but did you have any luck with refinishing your JEM? I've been considering refinishing my Ibanez RG (I saw a beautiful matte black Charvel Strat the other day and got jealous) but I'm not sure the best way to go about it.
Yup. I did it. I went for distressed look in the back (black with heavy wear) and see through blue hi-gloss in the front. It's still just a body, but I will put it toghether soon, when I finish the neck.

Mine already has heavy wear, that's why I wanted to refinish it :p

I understand the best way to remove the old finish is with a heat gun and scraping it off, but I'm worried I'll start taking chunks out of the wood that way as it's basswood - so soft I put a dent in the tremolo cavity with a screwdriver when I was installing my Tremol-No ("20 minute installation" my ass, but that's another story). Did you have any problems with damaging the body - assuming you used the heat gun method and the body was basswood too?

Sweet, thanks. I wouldn't mind seeing some pictures when you've finished yours, it sounds really cool.

I got to play a JP Musicman Majesty at Guitar Center yesterday. I was very impressed. It just felt so natural. Not to mention the quality of the build was top notch. Had it been less than a grand, I would have walked out with a new guitar. That $3,149 was a by out of my reach. I may trade in one of my other guitars and see if I can do a payment plan.

Does anyone have one of these? And if so is it worth it?

preview.jpg

That's my new baby. Fender JA-90. I'm really loving this thing. It's a Fender built to Gibson scale and with P90 pickups that just sound great. Thing looks damn fine onstage, too.

Back