1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What guitar do you play?

Discussion in 'Musicians Discussion' started by Anonymous, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Saapanael

Saapanael Life beyond these walls has great things in store.

Nah, I have the SDX and it goes both ways, although you can manually set it to only dive. FR Special, as far as I know, is a cheaper copy of the original Rose. It worked flawlessly out of the box but after about a year of whammying, the system really deteriorated. I have resorted to playing without the bar because it improves tuning stability.

2. matic22

matic22 H is shorter for God.

The SDX's come ot of factory as a dive-only setup (as does the Murray strat for that matter). However, H's personal guitars's bridges are set to floating and the green Jackson even has the recess cut AFAIK.

3. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

I've been playing guitar for almost 15 years and a locking bridge is still a nightmare to me. I'm a no-whammy Gibson man, through and through!

4. Navigators Ghost

Navigators Ghost Educated Fool

Cheap Australian Les Paul copy in gloss black, love it.

5. Zare

Zare Dream of broken citadels

Even then, restringing is going to take a while.

Also be vary of the Schaller models running on low-end Jacksons.

6. Maturin

Maturin Sköldpadda

I would buy a normal scale guitar (24-25,5''). I've got 11's on my 24'' Jaguar, and it needs that. Thin strings will feel like spaghetti on it, so I don't know how thick strings a 22,5'' scale neck would need! There's a reason electric guitars aren't made in that scale, because for the tuning we mostly use it's impractical. (Unless you'd want to tune it higher than E Standard, but there's capos for that :) )

In that price range, I haven't got a lot of suggestions really. You get what you pay for. Cort or Yamaha might have something worth buying (both manufacturers are in that segment for the right reasons), but it's going to be a really basic Strat shape, beginners student guitar. Hint: You won't love the looks of it, but you might like the feel of playing it.

In general, I would say a Fender Standard Strat HSS is sort of the benchmark of what's worth buying for me. But then I'm thinking of a guitar as an investment that I will keep 20+ years.

Night Prowler likes this.
  7. Brigantium

Brigantium Next In Line Staff Member

What was your previous guitar, NP? I got the impression it was a Strat type. Didn't you like that?

8. Night Prowler

Night Prowler ɹǝlʍoɹԀ ʇɥƃᴉN Staff Member

I liked the guitar. I was noodling around trying to learn chords and stuff when I bought it in early 2013, but uni swallowed me and even when I had free time I would just watch movies or football 'cause studying something else, even if it was guitar, was grueling to me. So it was gathering dust for years and when a friend told me his little brother wanted to buy a guitar I just offered him to practice on mine for free. But the kid is getting good at it, writing songs and stuff, so I don't wanna separate him from it, so I'm gonna sell it to him.

Here it is:

[​IMG]

It's an Epiphone. Dunno what model or any specifics other than that :p

9. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

I dabbled with the SG style when I first started playing because I really liked the look. However, I've found that the frets are just too large, making it harder to play chords and fast riffs. I'll bet that if you let that guitar go and get one with a smaller neck you'll have a better time.

10. IWishIHadAdriansDT300

IWishIHadAdriansDT300 Clive Burr's right foot

If you get a guitar with a cheape Floyd on it (Jackson JS32 Dinky, King V, etc.) replace the springs on it. I did that on my King V and it's soo much better, I could set it up with the old zinc ones and they kept catching and binding during use.

11. jazz from hell

jazz from hell Ancient Mariner

Re: tuning problems with my classic vibe tele. I finally brought it to a guy for setup. He also changed for locking tuners, because the factory ones were cheap, bad for intonation imo. He did an awesome job, intonation is very stable now. Great guitar!
    [​IMG]