What guitar do you play?

True that. But AFAIK the SDX has dive-only bridge setup (EVH style) and the bridge is Floyd Rose Special.

But still, yeah, a non-locking bridge is better for a beginner.

Nah, I have the SDX and it goes both ways, although you can manually set it to only dive. FR Special, as far as I know, is a cheaper copy of the original Rose. It worked flawlessly out of the box but after about a year of whammying, the system really deteriorated. I have resorted to playing without the bar because it improves tuning stability.

Nah, I have the SDX and it goes both ways, although you can manually set it to only dive. FR Special, as far as I know, is a cheaper copy of the original Rose. It worked flawlessly out of the box but after about a year of whammying, the system really deteriorated. I have resorted to playing without the bar because it improves tuning stability.

The SDX's come ot of factory as a dive-only setup (as does the Murray strat for that matter). However, H's personal guitars's bridges are set to floating and the green Jackson even has the recess cut AFAIK.

I've been playing guitar for almost 15 years and a locking bridge is still a nightmare to me. I'm a no-whammy Gibson man, through and through!

I would not recommend a floating bridge, such as a Floyd, to a beginner. They're a pain to keep up if you don't have all the technical knowledge, and cheaper systems (assuming you're on a budget) are often made of shite materials.

Even then, restringing is going to take a while.

Also be vary of the Schaller models running on low-end Jacksons.

What do you guys think about this one for a beginner? Is there any downside to smaller sized guitars?

I bought a guitar few years ago but due to uni never had time to play it and gave it to a kid who is gonna buy it off me, so I wanna reinvest that money into a guitar that I'm actually gonna play :p

I would buy a normal scale guitar (24-25,5''). I've got 11's on my 24'' Jaguar, and it needs that. Thin strings will feel like spaghetti on it, so I don't know how thick strings a 22,5'' scale neck would need! There's a reason electric guitars aren't made in that scale, because for the tuning we mostly use it's impractical. (Unless you'd want to tune it higher than E Standard, but there's capos for that :) )

In that price range, I haven't got a lot of suggestions really. You get what you pay for. Cort or Yamaha might have something worth buying (both manufacturers are in that segment for the right reasons), but it's going to be a really basic Strat shape, beginners student guitar. Hint: You won't love the looks of it, but you might like the feel of playing it.

In general, I would say a Fender Standard Strat HSS is sort of the benchmark of what's worth buying for me. But then I'm thinking of a guitar as an investment that I will keep 20+ years.

What was your previous guitar, NP? I got the impression it was a Strat type. Didn't you like that?

I liked the guitar. I was noodling around trying to learn chords and stuff when I bought it in early 2013, but uni swallowed me and even when I had free time I would just watch movies or football 'cause studying something else, even if it was guitar, was grueling to me. So it was gathering dust for years and when a friend told me his little brother wanted to buy a guitar I just offered him to practice on mine for free. But the kid is getting good at it, writing songs and stuff, so I don't wanna separate him from it, so I'm gonna sell it to him.

Here it is:

ugnCJJM.jpg

It's an Epiphone. Dunno what model or any specifics other than that :p

I dabbled with the SG style when I first started playing because I really liked the look. However, I've found that the frets are just too large, making it harder to play chords and fast riffs. I'll bet that if you let that guitar go and get one with a smaller neck you'll have a better time.

If you get a guitar with a cheape Floyd on it (Jackson JS32 Dinky, King V, etc.) replace the springs on it. I did that on my King V and it's soo much better, I could set it up with the old zinc ones and they kept catching and binding during use.

I currently own three guitars:

-Fender Highway One Strat from 2005, with the original single coils changed to mini-humbuckers: Seymour Duncan JB Jr. in bridge, SD Little '59 in middle, and SD Hot Rails in neck. Inspired by a particular gentleman named Dave Murray :)

-Squier Affinity Strat from around 2000, first electric guitar I got. Last year I got it routed for humbuckers and put a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge slot and a DiMarzio Evolution in neck. I'm considering switching the Evolution for another one, since I don't dig the sound of it that much after all. Again, inspiration is drawn from a certain Kossof Strat - nuff said.

-Copy of a Gibson Les Paul Custom. I don't know much about this one, since I bought it used a few years ago. It's been beat to shit, and while it says Gibson on the headstock, I'm certain it's a copy - probably made in China or Korea. It sounds dirty and heavy, so it's not very versatile, but I still like it.

Might add some pictures later.

Well, one of worst days of my life. It started quite a while ago, when I chipped the fretboard on my Les Paul (also needs a fret replaced). I proceeded to give my guitar to a friend of a friend, who is doing repairs. He was moving into a new place, so the guitar wasn't ready for 3 months and still isn't.

Anyway, I opted to help him to set up a work shop in the new place for the last month. Meanwhile my pickups from the LP disappeared. I tried to keep it cool as much as I could. During that time he proceeded to accuse every man, who stepped his foot into this place of a theft. And now he turned to me, accusing me that I stole my own pickups, just to get a new set from him while also stealing adapters, sawblades, dremels, his best pair of pliers and so on. Mind you, I don't even own an electric drill and live in a studio flat as a student. He is convinced that I'm the biggest liar ever.

So, my guitar is still there, also with my MFX unit, which I brought there, because he promised me that we will start jamming soon. I don't know what to do. I guess I'll try to get my own stuff, reason with him and then, if he is still accusing me that I stole his tools, I'll go to the Police...

God, what have I done to treat me this way?

Well, one of worst days of my life. It started quite a while ago, when I chipped the fretboard on my Les Paul (also needs a fret replaced). I proceeded to give my guitar to a friend of a friend, who is doing repairs. He was moving into a new place, so the guitar wasn't ready for 3 months and still isn't.

Anyway, I opted to help him to set up a work shop in the new place for the last month. Meanwhile my pickups from the LP disappeared. I tried to keep it cool as much as I could. During that time he proceeded to accuse every man, who stepped his foot into this place of a theft. And now he turned to me, accusing me that I stole my own pickups, just to get a new set from him while also stealing adapters, sawblades, dremels, his best pair of pliers and so on. Mind you, I don't even own an electric drill and live in a studio flat as a student. He is convinced that I'm the biggest liar ever.

So, my guitar is still there, also with my MFX unit, which I brought there, because he promised me that we will start jamming soon. I don't know what to do. I guess I'll try to get my own stuff, reason with him and then, if he is still accusing me that I stole his tools, I'll go to the Police...

God, what have I done to treat me this way?
Damn, this sucks... What Les Paul is that exactly? An expensive one?

Oh, that one. I thought about getting it years ago. Let's hope you get it back soon.

Btw. since Gibson might be going bankrupt or something, the guitar can become more valuable, I guess. :p

Hell, I'd do everything I could to get that back right now, even if you lose the pickups. He just sounds like a common thief with a sideline in being a conman.

Btw. since Gibson might be going bankrupt or something, the guitar can become more valuable, I guess. :p
I wonder what'll happen if they do go bust? I would have thought another company would acquire the rights to the name at the very least.

I'm playing a nice new Les Paul I got from my mate in Slovenia

I'm playing a nice new Les Paul I got from my mate in Slovenia

You can'be playing mine, because 2 frets still need to be replaced (after 3 months).

Anyway, I had a deal with the guy to recieve my Gibson, the TC M350 and the Jem DBK body (which I left at his place to be refinished) at 11, ready to be bombed with stuff like how I stole my own pickups (just to get him to buy me a new set), his pliers, etc... And why I didn't bring it back (well, because I haven't stolen it).

Guess what?

Exactly. He didn't show up. At 11:27 he sent me a text that he will be late. Later than 12:00 (which usually means 12:45). So I texted him back that we can meet up at that place tomorrow around 15.

If I don't get my 1.5 gutars and the MFX unit until Momday, I'm going to the Police.

More to follow soon.

Back