The Post Your Own Music Thread

They are very nice. I was actually gonna play my old 80's Gibson Flying V, but it was badly in need of a tuneup. An Explorer is not a bad consolation prize.

So SMX showed me this cool subreddit called r/songaweek and I've decided to take the challenge and write a song every week! For this one I decided to step out of my comfort zone and write everything on a keyboard instead of guitar. The result is this funky electronic thing. I ended up recording a couple parts on the guitar just because I couldn't find a sound I liked on the keyboard. Didn't have access to the studio so the sound isn't as good as I'd like it to be, but I got to know garage band a bit better!

https://soundcloud.com/animal-soup/resolutions

Thanks! I was going for a bit of an 80s vibe with the synths, I'm glad it came across!

So SMX showed me this cool subreddit called r/songaweek and I've decided to take the challenge and write a song every week! For this one I decided to step out of my comfort zone and write everything on a keyboard instead of guitar. The result is this funky electronic thing. I ended up recording a couple parts on the guitar just because I couldn't find a sound I liked on the keyboard. Didn't have access to the studio so the sound isn't as good as I'd like it to be, but I got to know garage band a bit better!

https://soundcloud.com/animal-soup/resolutions
That was cool, Mosh. Next you can try the Buckethead challenge: one album a week! :D

I've been putting together a bunch of recordings from my old band, Supergenius. I'll put them up here for you to check out. I'm quite happy with them; they're not bad at all for a few guys having fun in a basement.

Supergenius is:
SinisterMinisterX, lead vocals and bass
Don, guitar and occasional vocals
Tom, drums

Let's get right to the song that may interest this forum the most:

Full Youtube playlist - put this sucker on to experience a Supergenius "concert".

Chapter One: Warm-Up
The Worm (based on Würm from "Starship Trooper" by Yes)
Down Under (Men At Work cover)
Knockin' On Heaven's Door (Guns 'n Roses cover)

Chapter Two: Wading into the Standard Repertoire
Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap (AC/DC cover) - raw recording. PA straight onto cassette. Still analog in 2004. :ph34r:
Santa Monica (Everclear cover)
Basket Case (Green Day cover)
Message In A Bottle (Police cover)
All Along The Watchtower (Jimi Hendrix cover)

Chapter Three: Featuring Don on Guitar
If You Want Blood (You've Got It) (AC/DC cover) - Don's favorite band, they must be included here.
Soul To Squeeze (Red Hot Chili Peppers cover) - Don on lead vocals!
Stranglehold (Ted Nugent cover)

Chapter Four: Deeper in the Standard Repertoire
99 Red Balloons (Nena/Goldfinger cover) - another raw one, never forget your roots...
Stop! (Jane's Addiction cover)
Alive (Pearl Jam cover)
Tightrope (Stevie Ray Vaughan cover)

Chapter Five: Featuring SMX on Bass and Vocals
Remember Tomorrow (Iron Maiden cover) - top of post
Moon Patrol (based on a video game theme)
Say Hello 2 Heaven (Temple Of The Dog cover) - the last "yeah" leading into the guitar solo is the highest note I ever hit.

The next set will include another batch of covers, and one original song. After that, I'll get more into the "your own" part of the thread title: a whole bunch of Supergenius originals coming up.

Hope you enjoy it! :shred:

I've always thought Würm had the potential to be reworked. Nice! I'll listen to the rest later.

Some more Supergenius, featuring yours truly on bass and vocals. Youtube playlist for these songs, and the Zep covers posted above

Chapter Seven: Featuring Tom on Drums

Lyrics can be found here.

Happy Jack (The Who cover) - Tom's biggest influence is Keith Moon, so we gave him some Who songs to wail on.
I'm A Boy (The Who cover)
Funk #49 (James Gang cover)

Chapter Eight: Diving into the Extended Repertoire

Dreams (Molly Hatchet cover)
Remedy (Black Crowes cover)
Bastille Day (Rush cover)
Black (Pearl Jam cover)
Manic Depression (Jimi Hendrix cover) - with a taste of Whipping Post (Allman Brothers)
Post Toastee (Tommy Bolin cover)

Next: original songs! Hope you enjoy these.

Back