The Post Your Own Music Thread

Great work, guys! Vocals are impressive, but there's something unusual about the way they stand apart from the rest of the music in the verses, some quirk of production, I think. I may be too used to hearing singers overproduced or almost drowned out by the rest of the band.

Vocal mixing is tricky. You want the voice to be up front in the mix but you also don't want it to be noticeably higher than the other instruments. I think in this case it's a matter of just striking a balance between all the instruments. The vocals just need to be turned down a bit.

re mixing - you're not going to please everyone, some like vox upfront in your face - other like it more backgrounded - some like guitar solos to burst in the mix - others like it to blend with the other instruments etc etc etc...

its about finding a good balance and going with what YOU'RE happy with :)

Last edited:
The first demo from StardustX: "Set In Stone".

Lyrics adapted from the original by @Stardust

Give them a second, just for now
Don't take them away or disallow
He has called you, but resist somehow
Don't listen to him, it has started now

And their spirits were set in stone
And their eyes were burning coals

When a light shines, he will take it away
When no one knows, he will manipulate
Try to escape, there's no way to
Run from this place, nothing you can do

<bass solo>

The day has closed and the night appeared
And the one who everybody feared
He looked around with a gaze of the weird
He wandered gracefully, stroking his beard
All seemed hopeless as he spoke his word
He banished us forever from the earth
And not a thing from us would be heard
Memories would be more than blurred
Gone...

I haven't given up the song a week challenge, but I have forgotten to post the past few weeks. :oops:

https://soundcloud.com/animal-soup/minimalism

This week's theme was minimalism, so I decided to experiment with layering. The whole song uses one chord (D-7), everything is played on guitar, and I decided to layer very simple parts on top of each other and tried to create something vibey that could work as good background music. I didn't want this to necessarily be a song that would demand the listener's attention. I also did very little in the way of mixing to give it a raw quality.

There are a couple other songs I forgot to post here, but I was pretty happy with this one in particular: https://soundcloud.com/animal-soup/home

Another song done on keyboards, I tried to do something spacey here.

Nice work, Mosh. I really like "Minimalism" as an experiment. It's very interesting, kind of groovy, and full of vibes.

"Home" is neat, but not my cup of tea. Too many space sounds. :) I do quite like that solo that sounds like a theremin, though.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad the Minimalism thing was interesting, I realize it's easy for repetitive stuff like that to be boring.

Yea I haven't fallen off the horse yet. :p

It's been a good project for me so far. I've been involved with tons of musical things that while being rewarding on their own, the workload has been pretty huge and I found that in the past few months I had stopped actually writing music. My focus was entirely on performing and recording. This project gives me a chance to get back into that and try new things as well. :D

I'm in a remix contest on FB. I just missed the deadline, but sent it in anyway. https://www.dropbox.com/s/yx192eoo52fqrfm/Vultures Rasmus Håkans.wav?dl=0

My submission. I hope I get to enter, as I spent a fair amount of time on this. First time I attempted mixing Metalcore, or modern Metal in any case, so I learned a bit. Always something.

Metalcore is incredibly hard to mix though, as there is so much going on, sonically. It's very hard to fit things in.

Now you mention it, it does sound like there's a lot going on. Not my sort of thing, but it sounds like you've made a good job of it.

https://soundcloud.com/animal-soup/instrumental

My song for this week. :D Decided to do something electronic again after taking a short break from it. I wanted to do something with some more different sections rather than building off of a single idea like I had done the past few weeks. The transitions are a bit rough but I suppose that's something I can work on next week. :D

The best of Supergenius resumes with our "single", Moving Right Along.

You're gone, I guess I should miss you
But I know another man has been lovin' you and kissin' you
So long, I tried to be true
But I ain't gonna spend my time waitin' around for you
Your lies are so uninspired
And hearin' them again is makin' me tired
Bye-bye, I think I should
Be gettin' out now while the gettin' is good

Chorus:
You know you done me wrong
I'm not playing along
Just listen to the song