The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they end up extending the tour until 2025, I would not be surprised if the setlist in the final European run of shows included more classics at the expense of the Senjutsu material.

If they end up extending the tour until 2025, I would not be surprised if the setlist in the final European run of shows included more classics at the expense of the Senjutsu material.
Everything is possible, but I doubt it. Maybe they would prefer to swap two new songs again (like they did with Tears Of A Clown and The Great Unknown) - The Time Machine out, Darkest Hour/Death Of The Celts in, for example. Or they could drop one or two SIT songs for other deep cuts or usual classics.

^Correct! And I reckon it's still an outsider for this tour, but not totally inconceivable. I'd personally like to hear it live, even if just for the understated nice Adrian guitar bits.

Rumours at the official forum suggest that Hellfest is the only date left to be announced for the 2023 tour. Given the number of European markets that are being given a rest next year, I would not be surprised if the tour is extended until 2025, with a final run of festivals and big venues around Europe in 2025 (I imagine 2024 would be for North and South America).
I always said this is EXACTLY what will happen, Europe next year, North And South America 2024 and you can bet your life there will be a brief 2025 leg where they do the missed European markets with Asia / Australia and other territories. it will basically be the exact same time frame as the Legacy tour which was originally going to be 2018, 2019 and a last leg in 2020.

This will also give themselves plenty of time to record and drop an album in 2025 too.

And I reckon it's still an outsider for this tour, but not totally inconceivable. I'd personally like to hear it live, even if just for the understated nice Adrian guitar bits.
I think the song will shine live, with the vocals, the solos and the whole atmosphere it creates. If the tour was without songs from SIT (it was a proper album tour), I think the song would have had a chance, but now they're almost obligated to play Days Of Future Past and Time Machine. If the tour will have 3 legs (or why not even for the 2nd leg), I want to believe it has a small chance.

I'd love to hear Death Of The Celts too, but I think they'll prefer The Parchment.

If it was a proper album tour, I think the songs would have been: Senjutsu, Stratego, Writing On The Wall, Hell On Earth, Parchment and Time Machine or Darkest Hour (yeah I know the didn't play The Man Of Sorrows (too many songs from the album, I guess) or Out Of The Shadows in 2007 (because of TNOTB album), but they also didn't play The Alchemist (which was a surprise) and Pilgrim in 2007, if I have to make a connection with Days Of Future Past). Btw, Darkest Hour is Nicko's second favorite song from the album.

Rumours at the official forum suggest that Hellfest is the only date left to be announced for the 2023 tour. Given the number of European markets that are being given a rest next year, I would not be surprised if the tour is extended until 2025, with a final run of festivals and big venues around Europe in 2025 (I imagine 2024 would be for North and South America).
Well, shit. Time to hope that I can make money and room fairly soon to check out travel options for catching a show somewhere abroad.

2nd night in Dortmund selling really slow, glad got my tickets for the first.

Yes, but until recently, if you searched for it on www.koelnticket.de - which I do for a lot of concerts - it indicated that tickets were available from 1 July, 2023. That will have irritated many.

I drive past the LANXESS arena every day and find it a pity that the bands announced there don't include "Iron Maiden".
Man, some people can never get enough. :facepalm:

I'd say the Virtual XI material was worse than any of those, but I agree they are low points in their, for the most part, splendid oeuvre.

If no one is to be brought on stage I would rather hear a song other than "Heaven Can Wait". Many good suggestions have already been made.
I'm always surprised that "The Prophecy" gets so little praise musically.

"...In the encores for their "The Future Past Tour", Iron Maiden played the song "The Prophecy"..."
That would show Duran Duran how to make sense of a tour title. :D

I'm always surprised that "The Prophecy" gets so little praise musically.

Yeah, it's seriously underrated. The back and forth vocals ("purgatory beckons" and so forth) remind me of Eric Adams from Manowar. Say what you will about their songs and lyrics ( :facepalm: ), but Eric is an incredible vocalist and I really love Bruce's approach to those vocal lines in Prophecy. Also, the acoustic outro is all kinds of awesome.
I hate fade outs with a passion and that song has two fade outs in a row, but the last part is just that good that I can forgive them :D

How would you predict Senjutsu tracks being played if you compare them with other reunion tracks?

For example I would say Hell on Earth seems like When the Wild Wind Blows - last track on the album, should be concert centerpiece song, definetly will play it. With show centerpiece status I would also compare it to Book of Souls or For the Greater Good of God.

Parchment seems like Red and Black, fairly long song (2 new long songs in the set trend - Hell on Earth & Parchment, Book of Souls & Red and Black, When The Wild Wind Blows & Talisman), but a song that fans like and band also seems to like, so it also seems to have a place in the setlist. But if they decide not to play it, it is like Isle of Avalon.

Days of Future Past reminds me of The Alchemist (or Pilgrim 2007), if it weren't for tour name, I would not consider it being played but with upcoming tour inspired by that name, it's chances are pretty good.

The Time Machine - basically every reunion era Harris/Gers epic, it always gets played.

Writing on the Wall - El Dorado, singel that was played on previous leg, and because of it's singel status and good reception it got from audience it gets another go.

Lost in the Lost World and Death of the Celts- Man Who Would Be King/ Man of Sorrows/The Nomad, not enough time on the setlist to play all the epics (not good enough song to make to the setlist )

Senjutsu - this year it was If Eternity Should Fail. Next year, hard to say, if they play it in the middle of the set, then like any other reunion era title track - it just gets played, but as an opener, hard to compare, maybe Satelite 15..Final Frontier, but that one is 2 distinctively separate tracks.

Startego - maybe little bit like mix of Speed of Light and Death or Glory. Or short singel like Rainmaker.

Darkest Hour - this kind of slow balladish song usually gets played - Journeyman, Coming Home, Tears of Clown, but I don't think there's room for that next year, so maybe it's like Out of the Shadows 2007?

Huh, long post, hopefully you had time and power to read it.

Do you have any thoughts on some songs being similar regarding them being played live?

Yeah, it's seriously underrated. The back and forth vocals ("purgatory beckons" and so forth) remind me of Eric Adams from Manowar. Say what you will about their songs and lyrics ( :facepalm: ), but Eric is an incredible vocalist and I really love Bruce's approach to those vocal lines in Prophecy. Also, the acoustic outro is all kinds of awesome.
I hate fade outs with a passion and that song has two fade outs in a row, but the last part is just that good that I can forgive them :D
The Prophecy really has Manowar vibes in the vocals. Spot on. I agree about Eric.

2 fade outs in a row indeed! I love the acoustic outro.
Where did Nicko say that? What is his favorite?
In an interview from last year. His favorite is The Parchment.
How would you predict Senjutsu tracks being played if you compare them with other reunion tracks?

For example I would say Hell on Earth seems like When the Wild Wind Blows - last track on the album, should be concert centerpiece song, definetly will play it. With show centerpiece status I would also compare it to Book of Souls or For the Greater Good of God.

Parchment seems like Red and Black, fairly long song (2 new long songs in the set trend - Hell on Earth & Parchment, Book of Souls & Red and Black, When The Wild Wind Blows & Talisman), but a song that fans like and band also seems to like, so it also seems to have a place in the setlist. But if they decide not to play it, it is like Isle of Avalon.

Days of Future Past reminds me of The Alchemist (or Pilgrim 2007), if it weren't for tour name, I would not consider it being played but with upcoming tour inspired by that name, it's chances are pretty good.

The Time Machine - basically every reunion era Harris/Gers epic, it always gets played.

Writing on the Wall - El Dorado, singel that was played on previous leg, and because of it's singel status and good reception it got from audience it gets another go.

Lost in the Lost World and Death of the Celts- Man Who Would Be King/ Man of Sorrows/The Nomad, not enough time on the setlist to play all the epics (not good enough song to make to the setlist )

Senjutsu - this year it was If Eternity Should Fail. Next year, hard to say, if they play it in the middle of the set, then like any other reunion era title track - it just gets played, but as an opener, hard to compare, maybe Satelite 15..Final Frontier, but that one is 2 distinctively separate tracks.

Startego - maybe little bit like mix of Speed of Light and Death or Glory. Or short singel like Rainmaker.

Darkest Hour - this kind of slow balladish song usually gets played - Journeyman, Coming Home, Tears of Clown, but I don't think there's room for that next year, so maybe it's like Out of the Shadows 2007?

Huh, long post, hopefully you had time and power to read it.

Do you have any thoughts on some songs being similar regarding them being played live?
I think you nailed all of them. :ok:

I'm probably in the minority that thinks Parchment isn't guaranteed to be played. Yeah, it's popular among the fans, but I could see why the band might opt to skip it. It's long with a slow, mesmeric-styled build. Because of that, I'm not sure it would work great in a live setting, but I could be quite wrong on that. We'll see.

Writing on the Wall is pretty much guaranteed, as the "TWOTW" graffiti's back on the tour poster.

I'd say good chance you're right about LIALW and DotC that they might get skipped. Neither are among my favorites on the album, but some songs have been known to work far better in a live setting, so these two might fit that mold if they were to get picked.

Senjutsu...yeesh, hope not.

Darkest Hour wouldn't be one I'd look forward to hearing live, but I could see them playing it for a "Coming Home" type tempo sort of song they tend to include here and there.

I'm probably in the minority that thinks Parchment isn't guaranteed to be played. Yeah, it's popular among the fans, but I could see why the band might opt to skip it. It's long with a slow, mesmeric-styled build. Because of that, I'm not sure it would work great in a live setting, but I could be quite wrong on that. We'll see.

I'd say good chance you're right about LIALW and DotC that they might get skipped. Neither are among my favorites on the album, but some songs have been known to work far better in a live setting, so these two might fit that mold if they were to get picked.

Darkest Hour wouldn't be one I'd look forward to hearing live, but I could see them playing it for a "Coming Home" type tempo sort of song they tend to include here and there.
Parchment is easier to play live than Celts or Lost World and the fans, Nicko and Bruce like it a lot. The long instrumental section will be a break for Bruce in what looks to be a difficult set with the SIT songs. I think the song was written with a live performance in mind. The tempo of the song is similar to that of Senjutsu or Benjamin Breeg, but it has a fast part at the end and 6 solos, and that's exactly what will shine live.

I think both LIALW and DOTC will be better/great live. Steve's long songs always work live.

Darkest Hour had a chance, but without the SIT songs.
Keeping Senjutsu would be such a pig-headed move and waste of space on the setlist that I'm half-convinced they'll actually do it.
Given the name of the tour and the stage set they will use, I think it won't be played. I mean, they have to drop 1 or 2 new songs that were played this year and replace them with other new songs (especially if the ''5+5'' hint is true). I'm 50/50 on Senjutsu being played again next year. Maybe they'll play Senjutsu or Stratego to keep the ''samurai theme'' in the setlist. Steve only said that they won't open the show with the same 3 songs from this year and that they won't use the Senjutsu stage again.

Given the name of the tour and the stage set they will use, I think it won't be played. I mean, they have to drop 1 or 2 new songs that were played this year and replace them with other new songs (especially if the ''5+5'' hint is true). I'm 50/50 on Senjutsu being played again next year. Maybe they'll play Senjutsu or Stratego to keep the ''samurai theme'' in the setlist. Steve only said that they won't open the show with the same 3 songs from this year and that they won't use the Senjutsu stage again.
Honestly, Senjutsu (the song) would be a killer opening for the encore. Have the song Iron Maiden close the regular stage set, the boys wave goodbye, dim the lights and then play Senjutsu followed directly by Alexander the Great. I think that would be pretty neat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back