The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are dangerous, on multiple levels. That's not even up for debate, it's a simple fact.

Whatever about the smoke from the flares, lighting flares in a situation where mosh pits and crowd surfers are in the vicinity is extremely dangerous, you can get serious burns from them.

The Athens 1999 Aces High video where you can see a rocket flare landing in the crowd at around the minute mark is truly brain dead stuff, football fans have been killed by these on several occasions over the years, Cardiff in the 80s and at the Belgrade derby as well are two I can think of.

Last edited:
Surely no one would set off a flare indoors...
The Greeks:

im-gonna-do-it-anyway-bricky.gif

I think people don't understand how much damage can flare smoke do to a very physical singer like Bruce.

Yes, you can man-up. But if you man up and power through it, it can cause temporary or even permanent damage to the lungs.

True, although Bruce has quite possibly voluntarily put harmful substances in his respiratory tract over the years too.

True, although Bruce has quite possibly voluntarily put harmful substances in his respiratory tract over the years too.
While true, this comes down to the old "consent" debate. It's one thing to engage willingly in potentially dangerous acts, and another entirely for someone else to put you through a dangerous act without your consent.

Top Seven Flare Distress signals

• Red Hand-held Flare (day and night)
  • Parachute Flare (day and night)
  • Red Meteor (day and night)
  • Orange Smoke Signal (hand-held/day only)
  • Floating Orange Smoke Signal (day only)
  • Orange Signal Flag (day only)
  • Electric Distress Light (night only)

While true, this comes down to the old "consent" debate. It's one thing to engage willingly in potentially dangerous acts, and another entirely for someone else to put you through a dangerous act without your consent.

Of course. For what is worth, I abhor the use of flares and completely understand Bruce being upset, although I also despise his reaction.

Why do I feel “10 thing I hate about maiden fans” is the next book Bruce is gonna write.

I hate when you flare up
I hate when you smoke up
I hate when my lungs fuck up due to your smoking up

Feel free to add more.

Debatable.

Well, facts don't care about your feelings, as they say ;) They are dangerous, on multiple levels. That's not even up for debate, it's a simple fact. Just because the country has a history of reckless behavior, and other bands tolerate it, doesn't mean it's in any way okay.

Which, as it seems, is the lesson Maiden took from that event. Congrats. Because a few juvenile morons couldn't behave in public, because they just had to endanger people around them to create a lovely atmosphere, the entire country might miss out on the possibly only chance to ever hear Alexander The Great live. Must've been really worth it.

Bruce is a singer. A guitarist or bassist can deal with smoke, since it doesn't affect your fingers. It affects your throat and ability to sing though. Add to that that Bruce has had cancer and survived that whole ordeal, as well as the fact that he's always had a bit of a diva side to him, as well as the fact that he has a history of shouting at audience members who behave recklessly (smoking indoors, using laser pointers) and going so far as to storming off-stage: It doesn't take a genius to guess how Bruce would react in the presence of flares.

His choice of words was unacceptable, but his general reaction was understandable and even reasonable. To try to shield our fellow countrymen for their idiotic decisions as being part of the culture feels dishonest. We are talking about grown-ass adults who make these choices. Going to a concert is not a right; it's a privilage. A luxury. Since the folks in Greece don't get as many chances to see Maiden as the people in other parts of Europe you'd think they'd be a bit more careful with reigning in their impulses.
There is no way that the smoke came remotely close to Bruce. The prevailing wind was blowing from the stage to the back of the stadium. Bruce's lungs were fine. He wouldn't have even smelt he smoke. How do I know? I was standing about 6 rows in front and to the left of the flare that Bruce seemed to take an issue with, and I couldn't smell it. Review the videos of the incident: you can clearly see the smoke blowing up from the flare, and then backwards, to the back of the stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back