The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, they’re dangerous for crowd members, security and band alike.

He makes his living out of being able to have good breathing, not surprised he kick off when some idiot/c**t forces him to breathe in smoke (from any source). Didn’t his dad die of lung cancer or some other lung disease? Prob makes him even angrier about being forced to breathe it in when he’s trying to do his job.

There’s nothing metal about waving round flares or forcing others to breathe in your carcinogens whilst they’re simply trying to do their job or enjoy a concert. I would be well pissed off if someone did either whilst I’m trying to enjoy a concert and my response would make Bruce’s response look like an official press release from Buckingham Palace.

People who go with flares to a concert are idiots and I understand Bruce getting angry about it, but that does not justify Bruce’s xenophobic outburst., which sadly tells more about him than any press release Rod Smallwood could write.

I agree that flares should be banned. There are people in the audience who don't want to breathe in the smoke either. That's besides the fact that they can be dangerous. It could cause a serious burn

Last edited:
People who go with flares to a concert are idiots and I understand Bruce getting angry about it, but that does not justify Bruce’s xenophobic outburst., which sadly tells more about him than any press release Rod Smallwood could write.
Yeah I have to say, whilst Bruce being angry and having a rant was justified in my opinion, he could have refrained from the xenophobic part.

I’m sure he wasn’t thinking and just let rip and probably regretted it after he said it but he should have been more careful in what he said.

doubt he regretted anything. entitled little cunt.
Bit harsh! Like Yax said above, isn’t the act of lighting flares when you are surrounded by thousands of fans that might not want a dangerous flare lit up next to them a bigger example of entitlement?

I guess you telling Bruce to man up and stop being a snowflake means you think it’s ok as “it’s a metal show not west end Theater”.

People like you are the reason I sit at gigs now rather than being downstairs standing. Too many self entitled pricks who think they can go nuts and do whatever they want and if they happen to irritate or annoy anyone close by then tough luck, it’s a metal concert. I’d be in punch ups at every gig I went too if I was standing these days.

Bit harsh! Like Yax said above, isn’t the act of lighting flares when you are surrounded by thousands of fans that might not want a dangerous flare lit up next to them a bigger example of entitlement?

I guess you telling Bruce to man up and sto p being a snowflake means you think it’s ok as “it’s a metal show not west end Theater”.

People like you are the reason I sit at gigs now rather than being downstairs standing. Too many self entitled pricks who think they can go nuts and do whatever they want and if they happen to irritate or annoy anyone close by then tough luck, it’s a metal concert. I’d be in punch ups at every gig I went too if I was standing these days.
Bruce was a cunt for going xenophobic.
The audience members lighting flares were Greek cunts for doing so.
Both things can be true at the same time.

Other than that, I agree that flares have no place in a concert. Hell, I'm a Greek guy and I know that it's basically part of our culture for festivals, concerts and football games, but it's still a combination of needlessly dangerous and childish.

doubt he regretted anything. entitled little cunt.
Looks like someone forgot to take his appropriate medicine. Take a break from being so rude, would you?
As for Bruce's comments maybe he went a bit too far but in the heat of the moment, specially when he knows what this may mean for the future (for example, throat problems, not being able to sing for a few weeks, which means concerts to be cancelled and so on) that's probably the reason he was so angry. Did he act the best way? Surely not. But if one of us was in his position, would we have acted differently and being polite all the way??? Not so sure, specially with these childish remarks..not done in the heat of the moment.

Right. Looks like I provoked some quite angry responses. Not that I give a fuck, but let;s clear the air.
Personally I have never lighted a flare.
But going to a big gig in Greece we kind of expect them. They are part of the culture. I wouldn't expect flares in London.
They help create a fantastic atmosphere, every other band loves them and I do not believe they are so dangerous as people make them to be. We don't have any more trees to burn and inhaling a little smoke once or twice is not gonna give you cancer. We inhale/eat/drink/breathe a lot worse every day.
If you don't like it, the simple solution is to not go to the gig. Do not take your kid to pitch A, take them further back, or even better the stands. Common sense.
Absolutely everyone going to a gig in Greece, a big one, in an open air venue, absolutely knows there will be flares. We know it, the bands know it and most definitely Bruce knows it. If they don't like it they can always skip Greece.
All I am saying is that he overreacted. No biggie, a few flares went up, so fucking what. Grow a pair, man up and finish the fucking job.
Now if people want to have punch ups, whatever, we all know what they say about opinions. I have one, you have one, everyone has one. Nothing we can do about it.
And yes I am rude, bland, brutally honest or whatever else, if that's what you want to call me. No fucks given whatsoever.

you call it asshole, i call it passionate. but again if that's what you want to think who am i to tell you otherwise.

We already had this big argument like 400 pages ago.

- On one hand, fans shouldn't bring flares and it's stupid to condone the actions of people who bring them and set them off with disregard for those around them. (The general standing section of a concert is not akin to the singing/ultras section of a football game where those around you know they're gonna be lit).

- On the other hand, Bruce has every right to be angry/annoyed with someone lighting one so close to the stage (or anywhere) when they're banned anyway, but was wrong to basically use a xenophobic slur in his rant.

Right. Looks like I provoked some quite angry responses. Not that I give a fuck, but let;s clear the air.
Personally I have never lighted a flare.
But going to a big gig in Greece we kind of expect them. They are part of the culture. I wouldn't expect flares in London.
They help create a fantastic atmosphere, every other band loves them and I do not believe they are so dangerous as people make them to be. We don't have any more trees to burn and inhaling a little smoke once or twice is not gonna give you cancer. We inhale/eat/drink/breathe a lot worse every day.
If you don't like it, the simple solution is to not go to the gig. Do not take your kid to pitch A, take them further back, or even better the stands. Common sense.
Absolutely everyone going to a gig in Greece, a big one, in an open air venue, absolutely knows there will be flares. We know it, the bands know it and most definitely Bruce knows it. If they don't like it they can always skip Greece.
All I am saying is that he overreacted. No biggie, a few flares went up, so fucking what. Grow a pair, man up and finish the fucking job.
Now if people want to have punch ups, whatever, we all know what they say about opinions. I have one, you have one, everyone has one. Nothing we can do about it.
And yes I am rude, bland, brutally honest or whatever else, if that's what you want to call me. No fucks given whatsoever.
Moments I'm embarassed to be a Maiden fan...when I read comments like this one...I tend to think Maiden fans are intelligent or at least way above some low-level behaviors like yours...it seems like I might be wrong...oh well there are exceptions everywhere, thanks to prove that!

Btw, one day, I'd like to see you as a singer and see how would you react to this "part of the culture" when someones just lights a flare in front of you and you can't sing anymore...for sure you'll thank this fan to share his "culture" with your throat!!!

Oh and yeah we all have opinions, some clever than others...

"Moments I think Maiden fans are ridiculous and embarassing"

They help create a fantastic atmosphere
Debatable.

every other band loves them and I do not believe they are so dangerous as people make them to be. We don't have any more trees to burn and inhaling a little smoke once or twice is not gonna give you cancer. We inhale/eat/drink/breathe a lot worse every day.
Well, facts don't care about your feelings, as they say ;) They are dangerous, on multiple levels. That's not even up for debate, it's a simple fact. Just because the country has a history of reckless behavior, and other bands tolerate it, doesn't mean it's in any way okay.

Which, as it seems, is the lesson Maiden took from that event. Congrats. Because a few juvenile morons couldn't behave in public, because they just had to endanger people around them to create a lovely atmosphere, the entire country might miss out on the possibly only chance to ever hear Alexander The Great live. Must've been really worth it.

Bruce is a singer. A guitarist or bassist can deal with smoke, since it doesn't affect your fingers. It affects your throat and ability to sing though. Add to that that Bruce has had cancer and survived that whole ordeal, as well as the fact that he's always had a bit of a diva side to him, as well as the fact that he has a history of shouting at audience members who behave recklessly (smoking indoors, using laser pointers) and going so far as to storming off-stage: It doesn't take a genius to guess how Bruce would react in the presence of flares.

His choice of words was unacceptable, but his general reaction was understandable and even reasonable. To try to shield our fellow countrymen for their idiotic decisions as being part of the culture feels dishonest. We are talking about grown-ass adults who make these choices. Going to a concert is not a right; it's a privilage. A luxury. Since the folks in Greece don't get as many chances to see Maiden as the people in other parts of Europe you'd think they'd be a bit more careful with reigning in their impulses.

Last edited:
As much fun as it is riling people up I guess it is time for me to resume the role of the spectator and leave posting to the "intelligent" users of the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back