The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
So while I don't want to see the band tour without Nicko, I'd also like to see the band tour with drumming that sounds like Nicko's drumming. The whole "the band isn't the band without Nicko's drumming" argument doesn't hold water if Nicko himself doesn't sound like "Nicko's drumming." He'll always be the GOAT. The band doesn't need to prop him up to give him a legacy, he's already earned that. But if the band is sounding as amazing as they are, the lacking on Nicko's part is much more noticeable.

All that said, if Nicko stays on tour, that's cool. If he doesn't, that's cool too. Whatever the band decides, I'll support as I have zero say in the matter and am just grateful that my favorite band still plays and sounds this damn good.

think there is more chance that H joins Bruce on solo tours than Janick.
Nah, I don’t think so.

I think people read too much into H playing on a couple of Bruce solo albums. I think that happened because Bruce was basically saying “I’m ready to come back to Maiden now” with accident of birth and chemical wedding. He went back to more full on metal sound in those albums and got Adrian in as he needed another guitar player, Adrian wasn’t doing much at the time and it was a showcase of ‘we’re more Maiden than Maiden”

Janick only got the Maiden gig as he was good pals with Bruce and played in tattooed millionaire. Adrian seems to like his little projects where as Janick just seems content with whatever gig he’s got. Without Maiden I could see Janick joining Bruce on his solo tour.

I disagree, if he was not able to do the 2024 leg of the tour there is no way the band suddenly retire, that tour is locked in place and they would see it through 100% with a replacement drummer
Agreed. I strongly believe they would see 2024 through if they had to go on without Nicko. I wouldn't think they would wish to deny the NA/SA fans this tour.

We all know Nicko has prior issues coming in but I am hoping it's just something else, something new we don't know about that hopefully is temporary and things will improve soon enough. I know that's probably wishful thinking on my part.

I feel like if Nicko had an issue that was just temporary, they would’ve started the tour a bit later. Instead of dragging an “unwell” drummer through a tour hoping he heals up on the road.

I'd rather see them calling it a day than replacing Nicko. The guy has been the engine of the beast for 40 years!
As sad as it is, I think I'm leaning towards that too. They will finish this tour next year with Nicko (it will only be 2 legs imo) and then 2025-2026 could be a 50th anniv. celebration tour with more rare songs, maybe as a final tour. Then Steve could apply his idea of semi-retiring from playing live but still releasing albums. Or maybe they will record a new album in 2024, who knows. Nicko said he wants someone to replace him, but I don't think the band will want that. I think Steve is prepared for this. And he has a solo band. Bruce probably too (and he has his solo band). Adrian has his own solo projects (or with Bruce). Dave and Janick can do whatever they want. Janick still enjoys playing live a lot, from the footage I've seen. Nicko is essential to Maiden's sound! Someone said it would be a ''waste'' if the band retires since they are in great shape... - they can even play in Blaze's band if they want, but the truth is they earned the respect and their retirement after playing live for 50 years! What more. A difficult decision, but they can't be on the road forever, even with a new drummer. And as they always said, they are like family.

With the exception of Bruce's solo stuff, none of the other members have solo projects or side project that I find the least bit interesting. They're all greatly talented, but none of them actually sound enough like Maiden to interest me. Granted, I get that's the point. But still, British Lion, Primal Rock Rebellion, Smith and Kotzen, Dave and Janick's Jim Jam Jamboree, etc, none of that interests me musically.

A lot of talking about the future now, so I'll go 23 hours into the past and give my little review of the show.

First, The Raven Age. They were OK. Then time for an hour of anticipation, and finally the familiar UFO song came on. The reaction from the crowd where I was located - right at the fence of the main standing area, behind the front section - was nothing to write home about and I must say I've been in livelier crowds.

Then ... could it be? Was it really the Blade Runner theme and did that mean what I thought it meant? Hell yeah! The smile almost went around my head. Finally CSIT! When they followed up with SIASL I felt that I had already gotten value for my ticket. WOTW finally got some of rhe more casual consert-goers into some singing, but I was singing along on auto-pilot while still digesting the fact I had heard Adrian play his SIASL solo live.

DOFP didn't stand out despite being the title track for the tour, but I think the sound was a bit muddy where I was standing for that one. Bruce teased us with talk about a deja vu, before they ventured into The Time Machine. I was pleasantly surprised when The Prisoner followed, a very cool song they should play more often. A little more talking from Bruce led us to Death of the Celts, which I believe sounded good and probably would have got a more active crowd moving.

A couple of hits in Madness and HCW got the crowd going a bit more, but what went on in the crowd for the next song I honestly cannot tell. AS soon as the wind started blowing I was in my own world. That they finally played ATG ... that alone would be worth the ticket. It turned out Adrian COULD play the solo after all :clap:

As expected, the main set ended with FOTD and Iron Maiden, but I must say they managed to surprise me again when the encore started with my favourite song from Senjutsu - Hell on Earth. Hope it's not the last time they play this. Finishing with Trooper and WY made sure the show ended with good energy. Not playing Hallowed was a surprise, but understandable given how many long songs they had in the set.

I couldn't hear any big issues with Nicko's drumming although there were a couple of times where the band wasn't as tight as they normally are. I must say that the guitar solos sounded great, especially Adrian who really gets a chance to shine on this tour. Bruce was in great form as well.

Highlight: The setlist. Loved it!

Minus: The crowd. The band deserved better. I didn't even need to work hard to keep my spot.

I'd rather see them calling it a day than replacing Nicko. The guy has been the engine of the beast for 40 years!
As sad as it is, I think I'm leaning towards that too.
I am sad about Nicko as all of us are (getting old sucks and all that) He's the beloved drummer of our favorite band but...
Nah, I don't think they will choose this option. They are relatively healthy + joy of being on stage + money. Joe Lazarus learned those songs to some purpose. This thing with him as a replacement drummer circulated for several years now. There's no smoke without fire.
My speculation, regarding band member votes. Nicko will encourage band to continue.
Shall we continue as a band without Nicko?

Steve (with Nicko's blessing) - FOR
Bruce - FOR
Janick - FOR
Adrian - FOR
Dave - ABSTAIN (smilingly)

That's how I see it now.

Last edited:
It seems pretty clear that Bruce doesn't enjoy collaborating with Janick as much as he enjoys collaborating with Adrian, you can see that just through the credits of recent albums. Since AMOLAD, there's been one song that Bruce and Janick wrote together: The Alchemist. And from Kevin Shirley's diary, it seems Bruce wasn't really happy with Janick's solo. Janick was a good fit on Tattooed Millionaire but I doubt he would be part of a Dickinson solo band, especially if it's between him and Roy Z.

[Concert experience]
Did you manage to remain completely unspoiled as far as the setlist is concerned?

Edit:
It seems pretty clear that Bruce doesn't enjoy collaborating with Janick as much as he enjoys collaborating with Adrian, you can see that just through the credits of recent albums. Since AMOLAD, there's been one song that Bruce and Janick wrote together: The Alchemist. And from Kevin Shirley's diary, it seems Bruce wasn't really happy with Janick's solo. Janick was a good fit on Tattooed Millionaire but I doubt he would be part of a Dickinson solo band, especially if it's between him and Roy Z.
Yeah, I love Janick's compositions from BNW onwards, but it's pretty clear that Janick and Steve work well together, while Bruce seems to work better with Adrian.

I am sad about Nicko as all of us are (getting old sucks and all that) He's the beloved drummer of our favorite band but...
Nah, I don't think they will choose this option. Joe Lazarus learned those songs to some purpose. This thing with him as a replacement drummer circulated for several years now. There's no smoke without fire.

One of the many gigs Joe Lazarus has is playing drums in an Iron Maiden tribute band.

If Nicko were to step down from live performance, and he has said in interviews a number of times dating back to the mid 2010s that if he can't keep up anymore he would rather bow out gracefully, I must say I don't think it's as simple as 'just get a touring drummer to replace him', Steve seems to love playing with Nicko and has done so for 40 years and as the rhythm section they are the backbone of the band. I want to see Maiden continue for as long as possible but Nicko is a huge part of the band. Frankly, all of them are, it would seem downright bizarre to see anyone else up there on stage at this point.
3 out of my 5 favourite albums from Iron Maiden were recorded and toured without Nicko. Beast over Hammersmith is my all time favourite live album! Clive Burr is part of the legacy and I’ll be open to a new drummer, just like I was back in 1983 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back