The 2011 Tour Thread! (SPOILERS)

Is everything about the tour exactly the way you want it?

• Yes

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 38 57.6%
  • I'm not sure what I want

Votes: 6 9.1%

• Total voters
UpTheIrons said:
Absolutely agree with you Perun, I was at the London show on Friday and it was simply phenomenal, the new songs were incredible live and despite claims that Bruce's voice was in bad shape on previous shows he was brilliant. I enjoyed this show even more than the SBIT show at Twickenham in 2008 - which is definitely saying something"!  :yey:

These weren't claims about Bruce's voice, it was fact. I thin he was pacing himself in the early part of the shows so he could deliver in the later part. I saw and heard it first hand. I was very impressed with how he finished the show I was at but te chorus of El Dorado and The Talisman in particular were not up to his usual high standards. But, as I've said, he finished the show really well...

TOUR OVER NO MORE SPOILERS :) http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/iron-maid ... html  :lol:

El Dorado was amazing for me, he really nailed the chorus. Talisman not so much but still pretty good.

I managed to record the show as well and get a video of Doctor, Doctor right up to the end of The Final Frontier. I also got a snippet of other bits as well. I will share when I've got them all on my PC and separated into single tracks.
Photos taken by me...

Jupz said:
El Dorado was amazing for me, he really nailed the chorus. Talisman not so much but still pretty good.
Ya, he's been suffering a bit on Talisman which surprises me because I would think that with as many years that he's been singing, he'd have it perfected.

Great pics, Albie!  :ok:

Albie said:
I managed to record the show as well and get a video of Doctor, Doctor right up to the end of The Final Frontier. I also got a snippet of other bits as well. I will share when I've got them all on my PC and separated into single tracks.

Looking forward to that!

Mosh said:
The 02 looks so awesome !

I'll tell you something - it's one of the oddest things I've ever seen. You go inside, and the first thing you see is a huge city street, with restaurants, pubs and outlet stores... there's even a 3D cinema and a museum inside. And you walk for about ten minutes till you get to the entrance for the pit. And then, you have a huge arena, which according to Bruce, fits about 30,000 people, and you could think that on the top row of the stands, people are almost sitting in the stratosphere.
What freaked me out entirely was that it is apparently a full-fletched amusement centre for the locals. When we got out, normal people were entering, people who were clearly not there because of the Maiden gig, but because they wanted to go to the restaurants or shops.

In any case, as a venue it's quite nice. We stood on the right hand side of the stage, opposite to Janick on the second night, i.e. on the far side of the pics Albie made - fourth row or something. On the first night, we were exactly on the other side, opposite to Dave, slightly furhter to the back.

UpTheIrons said:
Absolutely agree with you Perun, I was at the London show on Friday and it was simply phenomenal, the new songs were incredible live and despite claims that Bruce's voice was in bad shape on previous shows he was brilliant. I enjoyed this show even more than the SBIT show at Twickenham in 2008 - which is definitely saying something"!  :yey:

I'd go with what snake said, he was reserved at the start. It didn't matter much to me, because I simply sang along myself, but I did notice he was not going for the high notes in El Dorado or The Talisman.

Although I would say the first night was a tad better, the crowd singing along to the chorus of Coming Home on the second night is quite possibly one of the greatest live moments I have ever witnessed.

Forget to say much about Airbourne in my other post,

I was really pleased when I saw Airbourne would be supporting, I'm a fan and I'd seen them once before. Indeed as the support band the atmosphere for their set wasn't quite the same as when I saw them on their 2010 tour when the atmosphere was mental :P, but they got the crowd pumped and ready, especially Joel's rendition of the Highland Fling, almost in itself a nod to AC/DC's 'Fling Thing', (though obviously based on a different song).

(just thought it safest to use spoiler tags)

Having said that and although I do like Airbourne, secretly I would have prefrerred a crap support band. A rubbish support band IMO always makes the build up to the main act even better. I know it sounds stupid but I guess I'm weird like that  :P. For instance, I can't help thinking I would have had a bit more fun chanting 'Maiden! Maiden!' all the way through some Bullet for my valentine/Avenged sevenfold/trivium rubbish :halo:.

TheNew#2 said:
I can't help thinking I would have had a bit more fun chanting 'Maiden! Maiden!' all the way through some Bullet for my valentine/Avenged sevenfold/trivium rubbish :halo:.

Now that would be fun!!!  :lol:

TheNew#2 said:
I can't help thinking I would have had a bit more fun chanting 'Maiden! Maiden!' all the way through some Bullet for my valentine/Avenged sevenfold/trivium rubbish :halo:.

Waiting for Maiden during an Avenged Sevenfold gig is not a very pleasant experience, I can assure you that. As for Trivium... we just skipped them last night. ;)

I waited through Korn, just because I wanted to get me some sweet spot. They didn't interest me at all, so highlights of their show was when they played parts of "One" and "We Will Rock You"

Airbourne were a good support band. I wouldn't listen to their music but they were at least entertaining and for once appealed to a large amount of Maiden's audience. I understand why they take crap bands like Trivium and Bullet for my Valentine around with them, but it's largely only teenagers who like them (I was one of them when Trivium supported in 2006, and they were bad). If they're going to take younger metal bands around with them then they should at least pick good ones or take a third band who appeals to older Maiden fans or at least people who like good bands. The UK has been plagued with terrible support bands for Iron Maiden in recent years: Funeral for a Friend, Trivium and Avenged Sevenfold. I actually quite like Funeral for a Friend and Avenged Sevenfold but I don't want to see them on an Iron Maiden tour. A lot of dates on this year's tour were afflicted with Rise to Remain, but a few others had Kamelot, Exodus, Cavalera Conspiracy or Sabaton, plus Dream Theater toured with them in the USA last year. That's so much better than the trendy modern bands who've opened for Maiden recently. Airbourne were an improvement but I don't think they're the type of band who most people who like to see tour with Maiden in the future.

Wow cant believe the tour is over. It sucks that they didn't tour more of the U.S., I really wanted to hear TFF songs live :mad: I really don't see them doing the new songs again except maybe coming home, It seems like that's the only song that could become a staple. Talisman is just too tough for Bruce to sing every night and WTWWB might be a little too long for future tours. TFF and El Dorado make a good combo but I doubt they will do them again. Hopefully the guys can rest up then give us a Maiden England tour with some somewhere in time songs early next year!

Nice pics Albie!
To get an idea where I was: I was behind the German who was behind the German flag.  :)

Big thanks to my English and German friends for the great time we had in London!  :ok:

Will try to post some pics and a few videos (from the gig) as well.

I was at the O2 on Saturday night - Maiden were on top form as usual. Unfortunately I had a few too many beers and kept having to go for a pee! I missed Coming Home, but I guess it could have been worse lol.

I do have a few niggles though from the show:

1. I was sat on the top tier on the right side and found that the sound wasn't quite right. The vocals were too quiet, couldn't hear Nicko's cymbals and the sound was generally "muddy" and slightly muffled. Anyone else find this?

2. Video screens were too small :(

Black Wizard said:
Airbourne were a good support band. I wouldn't listen to their music but they were at least entertaining and for once appealed to a large amount of Maiden's audience. I understand why they take crap bands like Trivium and Bullet for my Valentine around with them, but it's largely only teenagers who like them (I was one of them when Trivium supported in 2006, and they were bad). If they're going to take younger metal bands around with them then they should at least pick good ones or take a third band who appeals to older Maiden fans or at least people who like good bands. The UK has been plagued with terrible support bands for Iron Maiden in recent years: Funeral for a Friend, Trivium and Avenged Sevenfold. I actually quite like Funeral for a Friend and Avenged Sevenfold but I don't want to see them on an Iron Maiden tour. A lot of dates on this year's tour were afflicted with Rise to Remain, but a few others had Kamelot, Exodus, Cavalera Conspiracy or Sabaton, plus Dream Theater toured with them in the USA last year. That's so much better than the trendy modern bands who've opened for Maiden recently. Airbourne were an improvement but I don't think they're the type of band who most people who like to see tour with Maiden in the future.

Yeh, they shouldn't have these awful 'core' bands supporting them outright, so I think Airbourne (in all seriousness, contrary to my earlier comments  :P) were a good antidote. Dream Theatre is an excellent choice and before Airbourne was announced as the UK support, I was hoping DT might have been it. I think the perfect choice though will be an old NWOBHM band like Saxon or Diamond Head. For me, Saxon supporting Maiden would be utter perfection.

Back