The 2011 Tour Thread! (SPOILERS)

Is everything about the tour exactly the way you want it?

• Yes

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 38 57.6%
  • I'm not sure what I want

Votes: 6 9.1%

• Total voters
"Fantastic", honestly? Maiden were fantastic, but I don't think the sound (depending where you stand) is that good at the SECC; compared to venues made for music.

Black Wizard, did I read you say you went to the Aberdeen gig the next night? Having read earlier posts, from some members here, I'm now convinced that next time Maiden tour I shouldn't let the fact that I don't have anyone to go with stop me going to see them. I went with friends from Glasgow, but I should have just popped a long to see them in Aberdeen (where I live) on my tod. The crowd were a bit lame (further back) in Glasgow. I think I saw it mentioned that Aberdeen had a better atmosphere, overall. Leason learned. Buy more tickets. Nae mates? --go on your own. Don't drink so much. Maybe wear earplugs...

The sound at the SECC for me was perfect, but I had like two rows of people in front of me before the barrier and I was right in the middle.

CriedWhenBrucieLeft said:
"Fantastic", honestly? Maiden were fantastic, but I don't think the sound (depending where you stand) is that good at the SECC; compared to venues made for music.

Black Wizard, did I read you say you went to the Aberdeen gig the next night? Having read earlier posts, from some members here, I'm now convinced that next time Maiden tour I shouldn't let the fact that I don't have anyone to go with stop me going to see them. I went with friends from Glasgow, but I should have just popped a long to see them in Aberdeen (where I live) on my tod. The crowd were a bit lame (further back) in Glasgow. I think I saw it mentioned that Aberdeen had a better atmosphere, overall. Leason learned. Buy more tickets. Nae mates? --go on your own. Don't drink so much. Maybe wear earplugs...
Yeah the SECC is a bad venue for concerts but I didn't have any issues with sound but I accept that the sound will have a different quality for someone standing somewhere else. I'd prefer if bands went to the Braehead Arena instead because the layout is a lot better than the SECC. At both the AECC and SECC the crowd is too wide. Watch 'Death of the Road': the Westfallenhalle (I'm not sure if that's the right name) arena has he right shape which only Braehead can give in Scotland. Bruce mentioned himself that the stage in the AECC was in the wrong place. I know that Braehead isn't made for music either, but it's better than anything else we have.

For the intro I thought I'd stand at the back (but central), just to take it all in; & drink my pint. But, seriously, at the back, even when nice & central, the sound wasn't that good. I made my way to the very front, & ended up two-three from the front on Janick's side. The sound was far better, even when not central. But the fact you can stand way, way out at the sides is what makes it poor. Sort of like at the O2 --those guys in the stands right beside the stage couldn't have had the best of sound. I wouldn't have wanted to sit there. From some of the photo's those seats look practically behind the stage front.

Braehead is perhaps a little small? (Have you seen any bands there? --or were you one of the ones throwing chairs about at the darts!)
SECC is apparently about 12-13,000; the same size as Wembley Arena. Aberdeen AECC about 10,000. Why don't they just play Murrayfield or something?

Murrayfield is way too big. I don't know what the capacity is for concerts but the stadium itself is 70,000.

I've been to Braehead in 2007 once when Dream Theater hastily moved their Academy show because Portnoy's drumkit was too big for the Academy stage. It seemed alright. The seating capacity is 4,000 so you'll lose a bit of that for concerts and I don't know how many people you can fit on the floor. This site says if the floor has seating the the capacity is 5,200 so I guess that when the floor is standing the capacity probably only reaches 6,000 which obviously isn't big enough for Iron Maiden.

Unfortunately there just aren't any proper music venues in Scotland than bands the size of Iron Maiden can play so we're stuck with the SECC. :(

Okay, maybe Murrayfield is little large. But SECC + AECC, both sold out, is 20,000+ bodies; that's like the O2. They could definitely play a stadium. People like Elton John & Rod Stewart play up at Inverness Caley's Stadium --Maiden could definitely do a wee outside gig up in Scotland.

AC/DC sold out Hampden Park in 2009, something Maiden could also easily do, so that's another option for Scotland. I think I prefer indoor gigs generally, but an outdoor Maiden gig would be a good experience, and it wouldn't make the front borderline unbearable temperature-wise (as was the case at the SECC).

TheNew#2 said:
AC/DC sold out Hampden Park in 2009, something Maiden could also easily do
Not on an album tour they couldn't. Iron Maiden didn't sell out Twickenham on the Somewhere Back in Time tour and that was their only UK date. Plus the capacity of Twickenham is at least 20,000 greater than Hampden Park.

People like Elton John & Rod Stewart play up at Inverness Caley's Stadium --Maiden could definitely do a wee outside gig up in Scotland.
Well they're not going to play up at Inverness for starters. So where else? Firhill? Fir Park?  It will never happen. Iron Maiden's tours are so massive that they aren't going to schedule it so that they can borrow a football stadium in Scotland for a day outwith the football season. We're stuck with the SECC unless someone builds a purpose-built music venue with 10,000 capacity in Scotland, and that won't happen either.

^ true. Average venue (by media) for Maiden on album tour in Europe would be ~ 15.000 arena. They simply don't attract general population. People who never had any U2 record will go to U2 concert simply because it's a big radio-friendly band attracting general audiences. Maiden - forget about it. Somewhere Back In Time is, and will remain, unmatched in terms of attendance. The plane, '80s setlist, revisited LAD theme - and by far most important, aggressive marketing and never-seen-before media coverage. That attracted a lot of general rock audience which by definition doesn't visit Maiden concerts.

Maiden still sells out the biggest indoor venues in the biggest cities in Europe on album tours, and that is perfectly sufficient, if you ask me.

Black Wizard said:
Not on an album tour they couldn't. Iron Maiden didn't sell out Twickenham on the Somewhere Back in Time tour and that was their only UK date. Plus the capacity of Twickenham is at least 20,000 greater than Hampden Park.

Wait what? I was sure that was sold out, or near enough

seely said:
Wait what? I was sure that was sold out, or near enough
I believe there was only 50-55k at Twickers. Full capacity for a concert there is about 70k - I think.

Black Wizard, mind they're building the new SECC venue now. I don't know how big it will be, but they wanted gigs out of the exhibition centre, so they don't have to keep putting up & pulling down seating. I think the aim is to have it like the Armadillo i.e. bult for music/sound --but bigger.

Albie said:
I believe there was only 50-55k at Twickers. Full capacity for a concert there is about 70k - I think.

Wikipedia reckons that 55K is the maximum attendance for concerts and 82K for rugby and other sporting events, however Wikipedia isn't the most reliable of sources so you might be correct! I do know that the Twickenham management wouldn't allow the standing area to packed to the full with people due to good ol' health and safety though...

Black Wizard, mind they're building the new SECC venue now. I don't know how big it will be, but they wanted gigs out of the exhibition centre, so they don't have to keep putting up & pulling down seating. I think the aim is to have it like the Armadillo i.e. bult for music/sound --but bigger.
This is the first I've heard of this. Do you have a source?

UpTheIrons said:
Wikipedia reckons that 55K is the maximum attendance for concerts and 82K for rugby and other sporting events, however Wikipedia isn't the most reliable of sources so you might be correct! I do know that the Twickenham management wouldn't allow the standing area to packed to the full with people due to good ol' health and safety though...

Various press releases (from the top of my head, the Sonisphere 2010 announcement) stated that it was a 50,000 sold out show (of which I was proudly there).

Back