The 2011 Tour Thread! (SPOILERS)

Is everything about the tour exactly the way you want it?

• Yes

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 38 57.6%
  • I'm not sure what I want

Votes: 6 9.1%

• Total voters
In the latest Rod's Diary its mentioned that the latest IMTV (america) is beingheld back because firstly the guys busy as is everyone else but that bits not interesting really :lol:      however, its also mentioned its delayed so as not to give something away early... i wonder what?        going back into the studio maybe... naaahhh it couldnt be could it  :blink:

jonnytron said:
In the latest Rod's Diary its mentioned that the latest IMTV (america) is beingheld back because firstly the guys busy as is everyone else but that bits not interesting really :lol:      however, its also mentioned its delayed so as not to give something away early... i wonder what?        going back into the studio maybe... naaahhh it couldnt be could it  :blink:

No its just the live dvd's from South America. Kevin Shirley posted on his facebook that he went to Miami on May 15 to play the live mixes to Steve. It'll be an episode on that i'm sure.

Tour shirt from Paris:
270413_10150241755167500_708807499_7164505_3529577_n.jpg

maidenman said:
No its just the live dvd's from South America. Kevin Shirley posted on his facebook that he went to Miami on May 15 to play the live mixes to Steve. It'll be an episode on that i'm sure.

lame, and its up now anyway  :lol:  i may have to watch to see if they mention a release date...
and thats a pretty good tshirt, the german ones better though 

I'm too tired to do anything useful, so I'll just post a little about my trip to Oslo and, most important, yesterday's Maiden concert.

I went on an afternoon plane, got to Oslo where I met a female friend of mine, went to her home where her parents had prepared some great barbeque. After eating I got a lift down to the venue, a bit late, so I missed the beginning of Alice Cooper's set. However, I caught a good half hour of Cooper as well. That was great fun.

The rest goes in spoilers (not commenting on all songs, I assume those who read the spoiler part already know the full set):

As usual, Maiden started after Doctor Doctor had got a round on the PA. I and some others tried to rush for the barrier when that song started, but a few rows from there it was just too crowded and impossible to get closer to the stage. However, I was already in the middle of a pretty lively part of the crowd, and they were really into the opening two songs (S18 ... TFF and El Dorado). When 2 Minutes started, there was more pushing and jumping, and I found myself only two rows away from the barrier (and pretty close to where Dave was standing), and I stayed there a good while. The next two TFF songs were well received. They proved to work really well with this crowd. WTWWB not so much, although there was some singing along to that as well.

I'd say Blood Brothers was the highlight of the second half of the show, though. After that song I retreated a few rows further back (it was bloody warm inside the arena and I was really exhausted by then). Towards the end there was the standard run of songs (TETMD, FOTD, IM and then the encore consisting of NOTB, Hallowed and Running Free). Bruce's scream in NOTB yesterday was really great, one of his best moments of the show.

All in all I think this show was a very good one. There were a couple of drawbacks, but Maiden were not to blame for those. First, as mentioned, the arena was extremely hot. It was nothing more than ordinary summer temperature outside (22 degrees C), but inside ... phew. I was already sweating a river before Maiden started, and by the end of 2MTM I was wetter than after their show in Bergen last year. And that was outdoor, and it was raining ...

Second, the sound was not very good. Several guitar solos were hard to hear properly, Often the solo guitar drowned in echo, so details were lost.

But the setlist? I am happy with it. It has a nice mixture of new (TFF) songs, 80's classics and a few 2000s songs that seem to become "new" classics. And deservedly so. Blood Brothers is a fantastic live song, The Wicker Man rocks and Dance of Death is top class.

After the show I got back to the place I would stay overnight, by bus, and then up at 5:45 this morning to get to the airport coach. The flight back from Oslo to Trondheim was 30 minutes delayed, because the plane had hit a bird flock on its way to Oslo and they had to clean it and check the engines ...

It seems WTWWB hasn't been received well live. Hopefully Maiden will choose not to play it anymore.

Mosh said:
It seems WTWWB hasn't been received well live. Hopefully Maiden will choose not to play it anymore.

The reception wasn't bad, but it didn't work so well in getting the crowd to sing along. I think most enjoyed it, I certainly did, but if crowd participation is the goal there are better choices. However, I'm don't think any other unplayed TFF songs would work any better in that respect.

I think MOM might have worked. I'm actually surprised that it doesn't work as a singalong. It's almost like it was built for that.

Travis The Dragon said:
I'm so jealous of this!:
Sonisphere-11-450.jpg
What a lineup! I wish I could go!

Travis The Dragon said:
I'm so jealous of this!:
Sonisphere-11-450.jpg

Hmm, apart from Maiden, the only other band I really care for is Uriah Heep. And I also care for Apocalyptica and Hammerfall a little bit, though not enough to make me want to go there. Lacuna Coil is great eye candy, but that's it.

Oh, and Gojira are cool. But again, not enough to draw me.

I like every band up there on the main stage except for Twisted Sister. Lacuna Coil is great, but some of their recent work is questionable. Valient Thorr is awesome too.

I would go just to see Maiden and DT again though.

I wish the line up here was like that.I would gladly watch any band on the 2nd day apart from Mastodon and I would go on the first day just for Slash with Myles Kennedy.  :D

Murder89 said:
I wish the line up here was like that.I would gladly watch any band on the 2nd day apart from Mastodon and I would go on the first day just for Slash with Myles Kennedy.  :D
I've only heard one Mastodon song and it didn't impress me. But I wouldn't mind giving the band a try.
Feverdog said:
Whats wrong with Twisted Sister.
I just don't like them. They're videos are cool and all, but there isn't any songs by them I like. And I've seen videos of them performing live and none of it impresses me.

Mosh said:
I've only heard one Mastodon song and it didn't impress me. But I wouldn't mind giving the band a try.

I tried a few songs when I saw that they would be playing in Sonisphere but I didn't like anything at all.I even went to festival quite early to check them along with some other bands just out of curiosity ''who knows? it might not be that bad.There might be a chance I like them''.But no.It was horrible - definitely no of my taste, I spent most of the time laying on the grass, waiting for Maiden.And of course it was worth waiting.  :D

Well, I saw Maiden in Helsinki a couple of days ago. I don't regret going.

AIt was the second time for me to see Maiden. Last time I was quite far away, hardly saw anything and I remember even less, thus I was quite determined to get close. Well, I did get close, and it was incredible to see the boys playing so close to me, though sadly I didn't see much of Janick. Many people I suppose wouldn't care, but I think his solos on Friday were actually the best from the three! Much less "sloppiness" than usually I think. Great job! On the other hand, I was nearly disappointed by Dave. Not such great solos, actually much below what I was expecting.  :( H did his thing, played nice, just looking the same as always while playing his solos.

Atmosphere was good. Even a routine Maiden show can make people scream their lungs out (after 2 Minutes to Midnight, I could hardly sing along, did it anyways of course). I really didn't like TFF nor El Dorado as studio versions, but they truly kicked some ass live. I won't probably bother with the studio versions from now on either however.

The Talisman has been something that's been discussed a lot in this thread, especially Bruce's performance. I think he did great, at least for the first chorus. Later on he really did struggle, but it was great regardless. Awesome live song, yet I fear it won't last on the setlist in the future due to how exhausting it can be for Bruce. It was great to witness it however.

I was exhausted myself after TT, so Coming Home didn't feel that great, nor did DoD (! Real disappointment, it's among my favourite songs). The Trooper was great, quite obviously, it's one of those songs that can bring a gig to life even if it's overplayed. The Wicker Man straight after it? Not such a good choice, great song but I think it would have worked better somewhere else. After The Trooper, some sort of calmer song would have been nice.

A calmer song eventually came, in the form of Blood Brothers. A huuuuge disappointment for me. Hearing so much about how great it's live, I did really believe that this rather dull studio song would be brought to life. Perhaps foolish of me, but there was so little emotion in it. I tried to get in, and I sang along the whole song, but I don't think a show in daylight

Then I had two nice surprises! When the Wild Wind Blows really worked for me. Super awesome, truly the highlight. I think all the emotion was dropped from BB in order to create this jaw-dropping performance. Okay, perhaps it was quite ordinary too, but it really clicked with me. WTWWB is a song that I had constantly grown more tired of with each play of TFF, but now it's back up. With this one, the studio versions value also increased. I can't wait for the live dvd!

So what was the next surprise? The evil that men do lives on and ooooon, the EEEEVIL THAT MEN D-
Yeah, I had completely forgotten this song was in the setlist! And it's just such a great song too. Second highlight, very easily.

All in all, rest of the concert was great. We had FotD left, once again one of my favourite songs, being the one that really made me listen to Maiden. Iron Maiden is something that's just needed for a Maiden gig to be a Maiden gig, and once again, while I'd never listen to the studio version, it rocked. And we even had big Eddie, which was nice, but in the end nothing special for me. After that NotB, Hallowed and Running Free were just awesome. Running Free is a great way to end the show, as has been mentioned already.

Any gripes? Sure. S15 was bad. It really worked horribly as an intro in my opinion. Of course, I do personally think the song sucks, but it is dull and over-long, lacks the energy or emotion or quality an intro needs. Was it really only 4 minutes, I can not tell. Disliking S15 and waiting for the band to appear really made it seem too long.

I enjoyed the setlist, but certainly, it was rather unsurprising and uninspiring in the end. I had great time, but all the while I thought, I really could have even better with this band on. Maiden has been a lot of times in Finland, playing the same songs over and over. Doesn't matter so much to me, but it matters to other people, it's harder for a Maiden veteran to get excited. As I'm excited, what does it matter? If the band is on fire, the crowd is on fire. But it's not one-way relationship. If the crowd doesn't get so excited, how could the band? Quickly it feels like just another gig, doing your job, and it shows. It was all so much routine. I think this was most apparent with Bruce. Just doing the same old. Scream for me Helsinki, yep, you screamed, nice. Not a bad performance, mind you, but there wasn't too much life in it. I could have had even more fun. I'll take an okay setlist that makes the crowd shake the ground with their noise over one that's best ever but makes for bad atmosphere any day. Apparently Maiden thinks so too, but their way to react is perhaps just "Play classics!".

Well, fuck that, it was awesome concert anyways. When the Wild Wind Blows indeed.

Mkoh said:
Well, I saw Maiden in Helsinki a couple of days ago. I don't regret going.

AIt was the second time for me to see Maiden. Last time I was quite far away, hardly saw anything and I remember even less, thus I was quite determined to get close. Well, I did get close, and it was incredible to see the boys playing so close to me, though sadly I didn't see much of Janick. Many people I suppose wouldn't care, but I think his solos on Friday were actually the best from the three! Much less "sloppiness" than usually I think. Great job! On the other hand, I was nearly disappointed by Dave. Not such great solos, actually much below what I was expecting.  :( H did his thing, played nice, just looking the same as always while playing his solos.

Atmosphere was good. Even a routine Maiden show can make people scream their lungs out (after 2 Minutes to Midnight, I could hardly sing along, did it anyways of course). I really didn't like TFF nor El Dorado as studio versions, but they truly kicked some ass live. I won't probably bother with the studio versions from now on either however.

The Talisman has been something that's been discussed a lot in this thread, especially Bruce's performance. I think he did great, at least for the first chorus. Later on he really did struggle, but it was great regardless. Awesome live song, yet I fear it won't last on the setlist in the future due to how exhausting it can be for Bruce. It was great to witness it however.

I was exhausted myself after TT, so Coming Home didn't feel that great, nor did DoD (! Real disappointment, it's among my favourite songs). The Trooper was great, quite obviously, it's one of those songs that can bring a gig to life even if it's overplayed. The Wicker Man straight after it? Not such a good choice, great song but I think it would have worked better somewhere else. After The Trooper, some sort of calmer song would have been nice.

A calmer song eventually came, in the form of Blood Brothers. A huuuuge disappointment for me. Hearing so much about how great it's live, I did really believe that this rather dull studio song would be brought to life. Perhaps foolish of me, but there was so little emotion in it. I tried to get in, and I sang along the whole song, but I don't think a show in daylight

Then I had two nice surprises! When the Wild Wind Blows really worked for me. Super awesome, truly the highlight. I think all the emotion was dropped from BB in order to create this jaw-dropping performance. Okay, perhaps it was quite ordinary too, but it really clicked with me. WTWWB is a song that I had constantly grown more tired of with each play of TFF, but now it's back up. With this one, the studio versions value also increased. I can't wait for the live dvd!

So what was the next surprise? The evil that men do lives on and ooooon, the EEEEVIL THAT MEN D-
Yeah, I had completely forgotten this song was in the setlist! And it's just such a great song too. Second highlight, very easily.

All in all, rest of the concert was great. We had FotD left, once again one of my favourite songs, being the one that really made me listen to Maiden. Iron Maiden is something that's just needed for a Maiden gig to be a Maiden gig, and once again, while I'd never listen to the studio version, it rocked. And we even had big Eddie, which was nice, but in the end nothing special for me. After that NotB, Hallowed and Running Free were just awesome. Running Free is a great way to end the show, as has been mentioned already.

Any gripes? Sure. S15 was bad. It really worked horribly as an intro in my opinion. Of course, I do personally think the song sucks, but it is dull and over-long, lacks the energy or emotion or quality an intro needs. Was it really only 4 minutes, I can not tell. Disliking S15 and waiting for the band to appear really made it seem too long.

I enjoyed the setlist, but certainly, it was rather unsurprising and uninspiring in the end. I had great time, but all the while I thought, I really could have even better with this band on. Maiden has been a lot of times in Finland, playing the same songs over and over. Doesn't matter so much to me, but it matters to other people, it's harder for a Maiden veteran to get excited. As I'm excited, what does it matter? If the band is on fire, the crowd is on fire. But it's not one-way relationship. If the crowd doesn't get so excited, how could the band? Quickly it feels like just another gig, doing your job, and it shows. It was all so much routine. I think this was most apparent with Bruce. Just doing the same old. Scream for me Helsinki, yep, you screamed, nice. Not a bad performance, mind you, but there wasn't too much life in it. I could have had even more fun. I'll take an okay setlist that makes the crowd shake the ground with their noise over one that's best ever but makes for bad atmosphere any day. Apparently Maiden thinks so too, but their way to react is perhaps just "Play classics!".

Well, fuck that, it was awesome concert anyways. When the Wild Wind Blows indeed.

I didn't find Blood Brothers or Dance of Death nearly as disappointing as you said, though they definitely were better in 2010 (partly due to the novelty factor, partly because it was such an exceptional gig then).  The Trooper was disappointing as always; it's always cool to see Bruce wave the flag and it does get the crowd fired up, but it's never worked for me live.  On the other hand, The Wicker Man was really great and worked perfectly after The Trooper (also completely surprised me by being included, especially at that point).  With The Talisman, what really surprised me was the intro.  On record, it always feels slightly dull, a bit forced and "not part of the song".  Live, it was one of the most atmospheric moments of the gig, and in a way I enjoyed it even more than the main part of the song (which was also great, despite Bruce's slight problems).

Wild Wind was good, but I really would have preferred Starblind or Avalon instead.  My guess before the gig was that they wouldn't play more than 1-2 new epics, and both Avalon and Starblind are too complicated to go well with the mainstream crowd.  The Evil That Men Do was a nice addition since I hadn't seen it live before (except for the new songs, the only Maiden song I hadn't seen live before).  Fear of the Dark didn't live up to the magical performance in 2010 at Sonisphere.  In daylight, it just isn't the same as with darkness and fog.  The final five songs were highly unsurprising and exactly the same as last time, big minus to Maiden for that.

And Satellite 15?  Best fucking intro ever.  Last fall, I thought it might be too long for an intro, but I was dead wrong.  It simply worked.  Mars, Bringer of War was great last time and better even than Churchill's Speech, but Satellite 15 beat them both hands down.  The Final Frontier also rose in my eyes, though as an actual starting song Aces High and The Wicker Man are better.

To a certain extent, I'd agree with you that the gig was "routine".  My biggest gripe with it was that of the 16 songs, I'd seen 11 before (three gigs, two tours).  There was very little "new" to the gig.  There really wasn't anything exceptional about it, either.  Last time I saw Maiden at the venue, it was the biggest gig they had done in Finland up to that point, and last Sonisphere was completely exceptional with the storm and all.  That showed in the performance of the band, who weren't quite as much into it as at earlier gigs.  Then again, I can't call it routine in that it felt rehearsed or that the band was just doing their job: there were little touches that kept it far from that.  E.g.  Bruce calling out "albatross" pointing at a seagull in the sky in the middle of The Evil That Men Do, which was referring to his speech before Rime in 2008. 

That being said, it was still an awesome gig.  It's hard to give it full credit simply because the 2010 Sonisphere show in Pori was so exceptional, but so far definitely the best concert of 2011.

Back