Paul Di'Anno passes away, age 66

Why does this keep becoming a topic all over?

Nobody is saying Maiden played punk music.

Nobody is saying Maiden considered themselves or presented themselves as punks. Paul did, this was confirmed by himself, but he also acknowledged that this made him different from the rest of the band. No, I don't have links to interviews off hand, but it's not hard to find those statements.

What people are saying is that Maiden and other NWOBHM bands combined the musical qualities of late-70's hard rock and progressive rock of bands such as UFO, Wishbone Ash etc. with the aggression (expressed by speed, focus on power chords, somewhat more concise songwriting) of punk. That's what was the musical difference between Maiden and these bands, despite things like gallops and guitar harmony being there already.

Whether they did it deliberately or not, knowingly or unknowingly, is not the point. It's what the music ended up being.

It doesn't mean Maiden were a punk band or advertised themselves as a punk band or were seen as a punk band.

It means there was an influence, whether it was perceived as such or not, whether people acknowledged it at the time or not, of punk music on early heavy metal. That's it. No more, no less.

I've lost count of how many times I had to explain this.

Do we really need to have this discussion (no, end of question) in this thread of all places? Paul died barely two days ago and you're already arguing over Maiden's punk influence for the billionth time, it seems disrespectful to me.

I've lost count of how many times I had to explain this.
Wow, there’s a touch of arrogance right there.

I disagree with a lot of what you’ve said in your post and just don’t get the punk connection at all, no matter how tenuous. I’m not gonna debate this any more, I have my opinion and you have yours.

If you really feel like explaining it one more time if it makes you feel superior and more knowledgable go ahead.

Last edited:
Wow, there’s a touch of arrogance right there.

I disagree with a lot of what you’ve said in your post and just don’t get the pink connection at all, no matter how tenuous. I’m not gonna debate this any more, I have my opinion and you have yours.

If you really feel like explaining it one more time if it makes you feel superior and more knowledgable go ahead.

K

I hope Maiden release a proper double Live album from Paul era, but if they didn't in 44 years…
It would be a very cool thing to do. A limited release or even a digital-only album would be nice (I guess it wouldn't be easy to print it anytime soon). Some % of the income could be given to Paul's family to support them.

What did Bruce say about Paul on that video?
I couldn't understand or hear properly some parts, but would like to know the full tribute.
Paraphrasing here and there, but basically:

Bruce greeted the people on the balkonies and then everyone else in the venue. Then he says that he watched Back To The Future and that he'd normally tell a story about that to introduce The Time Machine, but he wanted to talk about Paul. He says "a friend, a band member, Paul Di Anno passed away as you're probably aware and if you're not aware of that fact, you are now".

"Paul was instrumental for the first two albums, groundbreaking. Killers and the first album. An amazing voice devoted to rock n roll right up to the last minute of his life". Bruce then says that he'd like those who are old enough to remember the debut and Killers, and those who were fans of "the stuff he did with Battlezone and his own projects afterwards and to anyone else who is perhaps listening to tracks like Remember Tomorrow and stuff like that which is absolutely awesome" to take a few seconds in silence, whether they believe in god or not, to take a moment and "internally, mentally, believe in what you believe in and say Thanks boss for doing what you did".

He goes on to say:

"So, Paul if you're listening, this is a little message from Minneapolis to wherever you are (Bruce points at the ceiling), upstairs or downstairs you're having fun, Minneapolis, for Paul Di'Anno: Scream For Me! I can't fucking hear you, he can't fucking hear you, scream for me!"

After that he finally says "we're gonna need a time machine" and the show goes on like normal.

Some short footage of Iron Maiden in 1981 on french TV channel Antenne 2 (now France 2).

Some short footage of Iron Maiden in 1981 on french TV channel Antenne 2 (now France 2).

Can't recall if have seen that footage before..

This is the first footage of H playing the Hamer Explorer that I have seen.

Someone needs to track down the uncut footage.

Back