Paul Di'Anno passes away, age 66

Blabbermouth reporting Paul has passed. Let's post our favourite moments, videos, whatever we want. He may have become controversial in his reliance on his time in Maiden, but there can be no doubt that it was Paul who helped separate Maiden from the rest of the NWOBHM pack.

So long, and thanks for the memories. And the lyrics to Killers.
Given the shit he was going through, just glad he’s put out of it. May his soul Rest in Peace. Might just do the first two albums all week as a tribute.

Sad as f... today.

Paul's years with Maiden are among the top legacies ever in Rock. Two albums plus some extra tracks and not a single filler on my book (except perhaps Burning Ambition). And all featuring pristine performances by Di'Anno (perfect guy for that era). Killers was the first Maiden album I got on vinyl by my 12th birthday. Murders In The Rue Morgue and Phantom Of The Opera are on my top 10 Maiden songs with others knocking at the door (Killers, Genghis Khan, Sanctuary, Invasion, Purgatory, Prowler, etc...).

I'm at a loss for words... a mere RIP seems insignificant.

Once again: an all-around sense of sadness.

As Iron Maiden and Steve said in the social media post, he is the one that set Maiden on the path they are still on.

Glad that he's not suffering anymore from all the shit that he's been through in the last decade, but still too young. Glad that they reconnected few years back in Zagreb.

Rest in peace Paul.

Last edited:
R.I.P. Paul. Still remember the first time I heard his voice on the radio, on Phantom of the Opera, in mid nineties, so having already listened to Maiden with Bruce, I decided to check first two albums. Paul was a great singer, the right person at the right time for early Maiden. A sad day for all Maiden family.

@Forostar asked me to post this on his behalf:

Hi dear Maidenfans, friends. I was so handy to forget my password and have not been able to get back to the forum with that account, or to make a new one. Thanks NightProwler for posting this:

Paul Di'Anno's death is shocking news because I thought it went a bit better with him in the last years. I recently read he planned to some final tour dates, and that he still had to have another operation. He got some financial support by Maiden, and even met a few members, which was good to see.

Iron Maiden's debut album got me hooked on Maiden (in 1991, 10 years after he had left), thanks to a cassette, borrowed to me by a friend.

At age 16 I felt the overall intensity of the band, so much went on in the songs. E.g. there was the immensely cool acceleration in Prowler (a highlight in the whole discography), but also the changes in Phantom of the Opera, the riffs in Transylvania, the two guitarists and that mighty rhythm tandem of Steve Harris and Clive Burr.

Soon I bought the double LP Live After Death and the Sanctuary 12 inch ("4 tracks inc. 2 "live" tracks"). I wanted that one because Prowler was on it. What a song. That middle part still gets me everytime I hear it.

Of course there was also the vocalist.
Over the years I've come to realize more how important Di'Anno's vocal delivery is on the first two albums. It seems to fit so logically, so naturally.

What the man did may have been underestimated, surely because of who followed him, but maybe also because(!) he fit so well to Maiden's style of that era.

At times he was aggressive, with great speed and timing (although not always easy to understand), but he also had a beautiful side (e.g. in Strange World, Charlotte the Harlot, Prodigal Son) or haunting (Remember Tomorrow).

In 2005, I went to see Di'Anno with the Dutch tribute band Up the Irons, in Waalwijk. His voice was rather fucked up, but it was so cool to see him out there, especially seeing him do Prowler.

After the concert I remember he disappeared into some backstage room. We waited a bit and then suddenly the door flew open, he moved hastily towards the exit. I was lucky (also very attentive), just like how I managed to catch Bruce 10 years later, when he hastily left a fanclub event in Paris, to ask his autograph. I remember Paul complained he was so sick that he did not have energy for the fans.

But I have the autograph. On that very first single I bought. RIP PAUL, thanks for the memories and your ever lasting contribution. Say hi to Clive. Up Di Irons!

Today we mourn the passing of a musical legend. The man helped put Iron Maiden on the map and those first two albums will always be a legacy that any musician would be proud of.

I wasn’t a fan of the man behind the music but today is not a day to dwell on the negatives. Today is a day to raise a beer and listen to running free and and remember just how good Paul sounded in his prime.

Back