Official American Football Thread

What a rough weekend.  KC goes down, the Pack goes down, Bears down, Skins down.  Sheesh.  I knew that KC, with 0-9 Brodie (now 0-10 as a starter) would be a pretty bad showing.  The Pack is hurting if Rodgers misses the next game (haven't heard how he is today).  The Bears can get healthy against the Vikes, I think. 

The streak is over.

Never thought I'd see it.

I've seen Warren Sapp hit him so hard he threw up all over Lambeau. He just put his helmet back on and kept playing.

I've seen him refuse to come off the field even though he just got hurt, driving Holmgren insane, and throw a TD while Holmgren screamed bloody murder.

I've seen him get a concussion on 3rd and goal from the 18, becoming so confused he waved the field goal team back to the sidelines because he thought it was still third down, and throw the TD on 4th down while everyone else had a couple heart attacks.

Never thought I'd see it end. He really should have retired after last year and kept it intact.

Yeah, I'm surprised at that too.  I thought maybe he would be ready tonight, but, alas, no.

I imagine this is it, then. Last year for him, for sure.

Athletes always seem to find a way to stay around for one year too many.

Ok, no offense, but Tommy Vanover running a kick back for a touchdown against San Diego on Monday Night Football in over time was more exciting.

Or that throw Favre had against Detroit back in the 90's.

Possibly every time Barry Sanders touched the ball.

I remember some Sanders.

One time he got dogpiled. There were 9 Bears on him. You couldn't see him at all. But the pile kept moving and he burst out for a big gain. It was like something from a Daffy Duck cartoon.

Another time he fumbled the handoff, ran 2 yards before he knew it, and was still fast enough to go back, pick it up, and run for a gain. It was as if he said, "Lemme leave the ball back here for a sec while I go see where the hole is first..."

Wow, the Redskins bench McNabb to start Rex Grossman, if that is not a dick slap to McNabb's face, I don't know what is.

Holy jumping Jehosephat. The Redskins are a class-A clusterfuck right now.

Shanahan wants to bench McNabb so he can evaluate his other QBs before the offseason, according to ESPN. Isn't that what preseason is for, coach?

Plus, they cut the punter because he missed the snap on that missed extra point. WHAT?
1. The offense had first and goal inside the 10 four times and couldn't make a touchdown.
2. The kicker missed 2 field goals.
3. The snap was high, it was raining, and the ball was out-of-the-box new.
4. In 12 years, that punter has only missed two snaps - both in the rain.
5. Even if the PAT was good, it only would have caused OT. That missed kick isn't what lost the game.

No, don't blame the offense for not doing their job ... blame the punter and cut him. :blink:

I said so almost two years ago...

SinisterMinisterX said:
You don't want Shanahan.

Dan Snyder really should start running all his decisions by me first. :innocent:

Not one of Mike Shanahan's major decisions over the past twelve months has worked out well.  You have the most expensive defensive player in the league, so naturally you switch to a defensive scheme that minimizes his impact and alienates him.  (BTW, Haynesworth's behavior this year has been reprehensible and is not excused by Shanahan's managerial incompetence -- even his teammates hate him.)  You had one of the best defenses in the NFL last year, so naturally you hire a new  defensive coordinator who wants to install an all-new defensive scheme, and predictably your defense is one of the worst in the league.  One of your division rivals offers to unload their "star" QB on you, which suggests they know something you don't, and you jump at the opportunity and trade a relatively high draft choice for him -- and now, you're benching that QB after a predictably ineffective season.  Oh, and in a shameless display of nepotism that would get you lectured if not fired at every major U.S. company, you hired you own son as offensive coordinator.  You didn't interview people for the job, you just hired your own kid.  True, Kyle Shanahan ran a respectable offense in Houston, but there he had a good QB and the best WR in the league, and played in a dome.  Predictably, this hire also hasn't worked out in D.C.  And now you are turning to Sexy Rexy, who conclusively demonstrated with the Bears that he cannot be an effective starting NFL quarterback.  Shanahan had a great career, but his ego has now exceeded his talent, and his team is now a joke. 

Tell me about it; for me, however, this is just another in a long string of embarrassing moves made during the Snyder era. Like I have said before, there is some bad air in the DC area lately and it is poisoning my team. No one seems able to make any sort of rational decision. Oh well, I didn't really expect any different anyway.

I am watching the game now though and heard something I thought I never would on TV in my life. During the first quarter of the Redskins/Cowboys game, going into commercial, they actually played the Wasted Years intro. What is the world coming to when the NFL actually let's some Maiden in? Hmmm, maybe it's all a ploy for more concert dates next year.  ;)

I was watching the Giants/Eagles today. At 7:30 left in the 4th, the Giants were up by 21. I switched to the Chiefs/Rams games, since the Giants were obviously going to win, right?

Found out a bit later that I missed the most amazing comeback of the season. :eek: Dammit.

Seriously, how hard is it to punt out of bounds?

Green Bay should have beaten New England, but the new guy doesn't have any clock management skills.

I thought Coughlin was going to kill that punter after the game.  I assume he is looking for a new job today.

Bears can clinch the division with a win tonight, in what should be an inetersting game in the Minny

I was listening to the Chiefs game while driving home, and heard the 31-10 score. Then I heard no updates until it was tied with :14 to go and I thought "wow!". Then a minute later the Jackson run-back was all over the radio- seriously, amazing!  That entire 4th quarter was nuts. Has to be the biggest come-back since that early 90's Oilers game.

SinisterMinisterX said:
Seriously, how hard is it to punt out of bounds?

Pretty hard, apparently.   :innocent:  That was a heckuva game.  

Chiefs are now in the driver's seat: two home games left, a one-game lead over the Chargers, who have two road games left.  If Marty were still the coach, I know the Chiefs would blow it.  But I have faith in the Pioli/Haley management!

65485_121616044572957_100001736869707_140652_6013116_n.jpg

Addios Brett

Back