Official American Football Thread

Exactly, so long as they can hang within one game, they have a chance to win the division the last week of the year.

Atlanta is gonna be tough.  These are my picks:

1. Atlanta
2. Green Bay
3. Eagles
4. Seattle
5. Giants
6. New Orleans

--its tough, cause the Bears and Pack will battle it out to the end.  I think that with the division record, the Eagles have a good lead over Giants.  It doesn't matter who comes out of the NFC West.

AFC:

1. Jets (yeah, I think they have the tie breaker so far over the Pats)
2. Ravens (I think they have a slight edge in teams to face over Steelers)
3. Colts-- yeah, they won't lose the division
4. KC
5. Patriots
6. Steelers

Houston is done, Chargers could pass KC; I don't see any other teams fighting it out.

Oh, yeah.  Having a shitty season, yet TO "seems" to be playing quality ball and not being too much of an ass.

I thought we would have all sorts of 'TO and Ochocinco disrupt team, cry in wheaties, put shaving cream in sleeping coaches hand, puts female journalist's hand in warm water while sending text messages of Favre's wanker' type of thing going on.

Give it another year. And I'm sorry about KC dude. I mean they're OK now but the Charge is on (I've got to witness it first hand).

Yeah, its cool.  I think KC will finish with a winning record this year, I can see us winning 3 more.  Chargers are always hard to beat late in the season, but then they tank in the playoffs.  I think whomever comes out of the West (either West) is doomed as a first and done team.

Guess there's always a posiblity 2 teams could come out of the AFC West....  :D ..... can't believe I just typed that!

UM, yeah, you are on crack.

I don't see how both the Pats and Jets don't get in, and Steelers and Ravens.... no room left in the Inn for a below-10 win AFC west team.

Yeah, i'll be interested to see how that goes.

Those rookies that fizzle out at week 14 will have a hell of a time.

The 18-week season is a dumb idea. It's the owners getting greedy at the expense of the players.

Fer crying out loud, the NFL is already the most popular and profitable league in the US. For profits, maybe the world. How much more do they fucking need?

I think most of it is money (watch the contracts for the players not get larger [not that they need to] for the longer season), but some of it is that they are trying to get rid of those meaningless pre-season games.

I know a lot of players are against it, and I support them. Maybe it's because I'm a blue-collar guy, and I've seen more than my share of idiocy and disaster because the bosses made decisions from ignorance. There are times when you need to have experience in the trenches to make intelligent choices about what should be done there.

I trust the players regarding how much punishment they can handle. I especially trust Ray Lewis, who has been vocally opposed to 18 weeks. Lewis has unquestioned integrity, and he's obviously one of the most fierce competitors the league has seen. If he could handle 18 games, I'm sure he'd love to play them. But he says he can't, and he should know.

If you're a boss, and your most experienced and respected employees are saying "don't do it", you should listen.

The players union has given a proposal to the owners for 18 weeks. It includes things like 2 bye weeks per season instead of 1, to help players stay healthy. IIRC, it also mandates a raise for every player, so they get the same amount per game. I think the union has shown good faith here and tried to meet the owners halfway, but they shouldn't give any more. The owners have to move too.

If the players went on strike over this, I'd support them.

Yes, I agree that it is a ton of extra 'use and abuse' on the players-- and once you tack on the playoffs to some of those players, you're up to 23 games a year!

I am curious as to what will happen with this whole collective bargaining agreement gig.  You may not see a need for a player strike if the owners go for a lockout.  That will make me very disappointed.

I agree with the cash grab motivation behind it. As a fan i wouldn't mind seeing 2 more meaningful games. Play 2 pre-season games then add the 2 regular season games and an additional bye. All told this would only add 1 more week to the season.

I thought it would add 3 weeks.... it's 17 weeks now, add one more bye, and that's 18, add 2 more games, that's 20.  Keep the same idea, spread the bye's out through the season, so there is a game every week.  Granted, a lot of pre-season is broadcast, but the official season would end up kicking off a couple weeks before College ball.

Wasted CLV said:
I thought it would add 3 weeks.... it's 17 weeks now, add one more bye, and that's 18, add 2 more games, that's 20.  Keep the same idea, spread the bye's out through the season, so there is a game every week.  Granted, a lot of pre-season is broadcast, but the official season would end up kicking off a couple weeks before College ball.

They play 4 pre-season games now so i was thinking play 2 replace the last 2 pre-season games with weeks 1 and 2 of the regularseason and add the bye the only "new" week.

SinisterMinisterX said:
For profits, maybe the world.

NFL can't hold a candle to the Premier League in terms of profitability, but aside from that, you're probably right.

Especially when you consider it's really the only major sports league in North America that makes money.

Back