Official American Football Thread

For the first time this season, the Chiefs are higher than my Packers in the ESPN Power Rankings. (They're #11 and #12.)

As punishment for this abomination, I'm gonna kick every Chiefs fan on the forum. :innocent:

Well... I seem to recall the ability of unlimited kicking/praising... :)

I thought the rookie kid did a pretty good job against a real quality team. Its too bad they lost, but he did pretty well.

And I think this is the end of Brett. Between injury and sex scandal, he won't be back next year. 

bearfan said:
Wow, the Redskins bench McNabb to start Rex Grossman, if that is not a dick slap to McNabb's face, I don't know what is.

McNabb thought so too, at least regarding how it was handled... (story from ESPN.com)

ASHBURN, Va. -- Donovan McNabb felt disrespected by the way he was benched by Washington Redskins coach Mike Shanahan.

"Everything was handled awkwardly," McNabb said Tuesday on his weekly radio show on ESPN980, "somewhat to a disrespect to me and to the team."

Making his first public comments since his demotion last week, McNabb said he strongly disagreed with the decision, but he has a bigger problem with the way he says the organization leaked the news to the media before informing him.

"Because of the timing and because of all the leaks and everything that was put out there, and no putting out the fire, so to speak," McNabb said, "I'm hearing everything through the media."

Shanahan waited until Thursday evening to tell McNabb that Rex Grossman would be the starter for the rest of the season, even though rumblings of a possible switch had been circulating all week.

"I was pulled back by it. All of a sudden you get this news a couple of days before the game, you do feel somewhat disrespected," McNabb said. "You could have told me earlier or at least prepared me for it. ... The term I did use was professional. You would like to hear it early, and if you hear it late, it kind of throws off the preparation for a lot of guys."

McNabb said he wasn't even aware that he was being demoted to No. 3 quarterback for the final two games of the season until Shanahan announced the move to reporters the next day.

McNabb was asked if he felt demeaned by serving as the third-string quarterback.

"Yeah, I don't think too many guys go from 1 to 3," he answered. "That's an unfortunate situation that I guess I'm one of a few to be a part of."
Wasted CLV said:
Well... I seem to recall the ability of unlimited kicking/praising... :)

Hey now, I didn't actually do it ... remember your chess: "the threat is stronger than the execution". :p

The Chiefs really have done a nice job turning this around and doing it with mainly young players so they should not be a one hit wonder.  I spent part of a summer in Kansas City in the mid 80s and think it is a real shame what the Royals have become, nice to see the someone there doing well, it can be a top notch sports town with some even half way decent teams.  I really enjoyed the area.
Everyone all geeked up for the Beef"O" Brady's Bowl tonight?

SinisterMinisterX said:
Hey now, I didn't actually do it ... remember your chess: "the threat is stronger than the execution". :p

:) 

--Anyway, I had read something about McNabb, and was not all that surprised by that.  He loves to pick on QB's, he just couldn't do that to Elway.  Elway is the reason that he won. 

I'm looking forward to this weekend's games- lots to fall into place!

The poinsettia bowl should be intersting tonight, they are playing it , though at the moment, the field and half the parking lot is under water.

Rex Ryan's wife has some hot feet      :innocent:

Ha ha!!  Yeap, big story, his feet thing. 

The Insight Bowl is big news here, Iowa vs Mizzou-- lots of people wound up about that-- local radio station has two DJ's with a bet-- looser has to stand outside the radio station in the winner's cheerleader outfit.  Ha ha.

Wooooooooo!  First AFC West title since 2003! I don't even know what to say-- I started this season, thinking I'd be happy with a 6-10 record, now we are in the playoffs!  I know that the teams we would face are going to be pretty difficult-- looks like either Ravens or Jets....I'm guessing Jets-- as things stand right now, it'd be KC @ home vs NYJ, Colts @ home vs BAL.  If PIT wins, they and NE will have the bye. 

The NFC is a lot more open.  I can't help but think ATL is going to get home field throughout, but its hard to figure between the Bears and the Eagles--  Bears have a difficult game next week against Green Bay!  I'm thinking STL @ home vs NO, and CHI @ home vs GB.  I can't help but think that PHI gets the other bye. 

Wasted CLV said:
Wooooooooo!  First AFC West title since 2003! I don't even know what to say-- I started this season, thinking I'd be happy with a 6-10 record, now we are in the playoffs! 

And there was much rejoicing!!  I was almost as excited and happy during Cincy's win over the Chargers as I was for the Chiefs' win, maybe even more so, given the ramifications.  This day couldn't have gone better.  But now I am nervous: I have been planning a surprise 70th birthday party for my father in Lawrence on January 8, which means I'll be in the KC area during the first round of the playoffs.  If the Chiefs' home playoff game that weekend is on Sunday, I can go to the game and take my dad, which would be sweeeeeeeeet.  If it is Saturday night, though, that will screw everything up, because it will conflict with the party, which is a dinner with 20+ friends of his.  I suppose we can wheel in a TV...

Obviously I hope the Bears get the bye, Philly is hurt a bit by having to play Tuesday, then Sunday (even though it is vs Minny and the Cowgirls)

And they could make the bye (Bears), but I really think this CHI/GB game is going to be nutso-- the Packers are playing tough, and the Bears have been allowing lots of points lately... That may become the game of the game of the week, really-- both teams fighting for something: Bears a bye; Packers a Wild Card spot.

@cornfedhick-- man, I hope you get to see that!  I was at the playoff game, years back, where Jim Harbaugh played Capt Comeback and killed our 13-3 Steve "I've Got You Babe" Bono season....

Wasted CLV said:
@cornfedhick-- man, I hope you get to see that!  I was at the playoff game, years back, where Jim Harbaugh played Capt Comeback and killed our 13-3 Steve "I've Got You Babe" Bono season....

Bought tickets, on the assumption they will be easy to sell in the event there is a conflict.  Club level at the 10-yard line.  Crossing my fingers for a Sunday kick-off!!  Looks like we'll probably be playing the Jets, and I'm concerned the NFL will want to make that the Saturday prime-time game, with the Ravens and Colts on Sunday. 

Yesterday, the Green Bay game wasn't on TV here (Broncos game only, thanks retarded NFL rules.) I was following online until it was 14-14. Found out the final at a burger joint, eating with the family. (Had a Philly Cheesesteak burger. Everything you'd put on a cheesesteak, including the beef, as a topping on your 1/3 lb burger.) I literally got up and danced for joy. The family in the next booth thought I was nuts. (I was.)

Last year, the Pack made the playoffs in week 17 by winning at Arizona ... only to lose the exact same matchup the next week in the wild card. This year, if the Pack wins Sunday (GO PACK GO), we'll play the Bears again in the wild card (but in Chicago). That's as far as I allow history to repeat. I do not give the Pack permission to lose.

It's like this for Cheeseheads: the Bears games are the only games that matter. 15-1 with a Super Bowl win is a failure if we lost to the Bears. 2-14 is a fantastic season if we swept the Bears. Green Bay is still Titletown and it's time Lovie Smith learned who's boss.

Other thoughts:

1. I started the season having no faith in Tebow at all. I was one of those who thought his college game wouldn't work. Nor did I think his leadership skills would translate to NFL vets. I was dead wrong on both. I'm a believer. Still not a Broncos fan, but I'm now watching Broncos games for the first time in ages. Tebow is going to be a legend. Just wait 3 years.

2. Congrats to Kansas City. KC fans should root for Baltimore this week. It makes Pittsburgh come to KC - instead of them being #2 and KC goes to Pitt after Pitt gets a bye. ('Course then you have to go to Baltimore, but that sounds like the easier road game.)

3. Jed York and the other 49ers owners are fucking cold. Shoulda let the man finish the season. It's only one game, let him have some damn dignity.

Check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G17zp0_26xU

Haha!  I love those rants!  Mora was so the best at those...

I was reading that Tebow has spent the year working on his mechanics so he had a better 'NFL Arm'.  Looks like it paid off, cause he is playing really well on a team that is going nowhere.

Yeah, I have no idea what to think of the Pitt/BAL situation-- I really don't wanna face Pitt at all ;)

Most correct, I can't believe they'd fire him with only one game to go-- what does it matter at this point?

What a week-- Eagles lose and are stuck in the #3 spot.  Chiefs clinch the West.  Favre doesn't play 2 games in a row, then gets a $50k fine for sexual harassment (I bet Big Ben is fuming ;))  And, my Fantasy Football team made it to the Championship game again.  :yey:

Wasted CLV said:
Haha!  I love those rants!  Mora was so the best at those...

Good to see former Stanford coach Denny Green at the top of the list.  My favorite was John McCay #10 ("we didn't block, but we made up for it by not tackling").  That's not the best quote from him though.  This is:

Q:  What do you think of your team's execution?
A:  I'm in favor of it. 

Seeing Herm Edwards up there still gives me bad willies from his days as Chiefs coach.  Good God he's a moron.  (Though I sort of agree with his "you play to win the game" rant.)  As for the Chiefs' playoff matchups, I'd rather them play Baltimore than Pittsburgh any day, any place.  Flacco vs. Roethlisberger is no comparison, and the Steelers' D is much better than the Ravens'. 

What a great weekend worth of games!  I almost wish Pit and Bal were playing each other!  But still, so many things still on the line! How good are the Pack?  The Bears?  Chiefs playing for revenge, Colts and Jags for a playoff spot, Chi, ATL, and NO for home field.  Tampa and NYG needing help to get in....  and the 'Misera-bowl' STL vs SEA for the worst division in the NFL... a possible 7-9 team heading to the playoffs. 

I'll be curious to see how long the Bears keep the starters in, by the time they kick off, they will know if they have any chance of getting the #1 seed (doubtful, they need Carolina to beat Atl and TB to beat NO).

Yeah, that's a tough call...  I would bet the starters stay in 3 quarters and are out for the last. 

Back