Official American Football Thread

A lot probably depends on how the game is going, if they fall behind early, I think they pull the plug pretty quick.  In a close game, they might keep the starters in longer, as there is a benefit to KO Green Bay.  I would assume guys with even minor injuries (Earl Bennett and Pia Tia...) will sit out and they will error on the side of caution with anyone who gets hurt during the game
KC is not looking so hot today.

No, the O-line is playing like crap, so the running game can't get going and the passing game gets smoked.  Due to that, the defense is on the field too much.  I bet Cassel doesn't play the second half the way this game is going. 

Wow, what a day!  Pack win and make it in to play the Eagles (who lost a close one with 3 of their top starters out).  KC looked pretty bad, and I think we are playing the Ravens if I got the playoff bracket figured correctly.

Still to come STL vs SEA.

Oh, and I won my Fantasy Football Championship for the second straight year.

Wasted CLV said:
KC looked pretty bad, and I think we are playing the Ravens if I got the playoff bracket figured correctly.

Oh, and I won my Fantasy Football Championship for the second straight year.

Yep, and the good news is that they play on Sunday, which means I can go!  Hopefully this performance will result in productive practices this week.  They need it.  Too bad they lost the chance to go against Sanchez in cold weather though...

Congrats on winning FFL.  Who was on your team?  I'll be sure to get your advice next year, though this year I was done in by injuries (Gore, Collie and a concussion to Rodgers during the first round of playoffs).

We run an ESPN game, with a QB, 2 RB 2WR, an extra spot for a WR or a RB, a K, a D/ST, a TE, and an offensive player (can be QB, WR, RB, or TE).

I had Brees, Jamal Charles, Larry Fitzgerald, Tony Gonzalez,  on draft day, got lucky to pick up Vick after week 1, Peyton Hillis after week 1, and David Garrad (sp?).  Because our league doesn't limit trades, I would swap out D's based on how they were playing or who they were playing (tho I have used the Patriots for the last 6 or so weeks).  I used Adam Vianitari (sp again) for a kicker, but dropped him for Feely at one point.  I picked up Fred Jackson about week 4, and Vincent Jackson when he became available-- I used TO a lot of the season, until he got hurt.  Todays roster was a little messy, due to a few players being injured, but it looked like this:

QB- Brees
RB-Charles
RB-Ryan Matthews (Picked him up a few weeks ago)
WR/RB-Larry Fitzgerald (this guy struggled this year, but I stuck with him)
WR-Mario Manningham (I took a hit a few weeks cause he came up 0 more than once)
WR-Vincent Jackson
TE-Brandon Pettigrew (Yeah, bad week to bench Tony)
OP-Rex Grossman
D/ST-Patriots
K-Feely

We have a 7 player bench.  I started out the season something like 2-6, having a horrible time with the players I drafted (lots of busts, like Cin's D).  I made a good run towards the end, finished the reg season 8-7, but was #2 in my division (we have 8 teams, 4 to a division).  Got lucky that when I went up against number one last week, he had a lot of injuries.

The mighty Cardinal absolutely dominated the second half of the Orange Bowl, beating Virginia Tech 40-12.  Easily the best Stanford team in my lifetime.  Too bad our QB and coach will likely be headed to the pros next year.  Looking forward to Chiefs game this weekend, hopefully it won't rain. 

The Detroit Free Press is reporting that Harbaugh isn't interested in the Michigan job.  Presumably either because (1) Stanford is in better shape as a program right now, or (2) he's already planning to go to the 49ers.  The smart money is on the latter. 

No big shock, but Luck is staying at Stanford.  If I were Carolina, I would start looking to trade the #1 pickm there is no clear #1 and they have so many needs.

bearfan said:
No big shock, but Luck is staying at Stanford.   If I were Carolina, I would start looking to trade the #1 pickm there is no clear #1 and they have so many needs.

That was a shock, to me, anyway.  Harbaugh signing with the Niners, alas, is not a shock. 

I read somewhere that Luck wanted to finish school, no matter what-- but that it would cost him something crazy like 60 Million in salary by staying another year.  I'm actually surprised by Hargaugh going to San Fran.... thats a team that is hurting.  Granted, in a shitty division like the NFC West, it would only take 2 more wins to make the playoffs, so he could be a hero shortly.  I really hope he can work his magic and make SF a good team again.  They are in desperate need of a QB, tho...

The Niners were supposed to win the division this year, but they were practically uncoached.  So you are right, Harbaugh probably felt he could turn things around quickly and get to the playoffs immediately.  Maybe they will draft Ryan Mallett.

In other news I'm back in the Midwest for my Dad's birthday and the Chiefs game.  It's fooking COLD!!  It's been a few years since I've been here in wintertime.  Now I remember why I moved to California. Guys like Wasted and SMX are obviously tougher than me. 

Well, yeah!  :p 

I really don't like winter.  Sure, the snowflakes, when falling, are nice to look at, but as soon as I go outside and the wind blows through me, yuck.  I was outside splitting wood this morning, and I really don't enjoy that.  But I do like my fire.

Glad to hear you are back in the area!

And, yes, I do recall that the Niners were supposed to be the 'team to beat' ... and, I guess if I'm honest about it, there were a few games, during that 0-6 start, that they could have won, and been the 8-8 West champ.  So, best of luck to him!  I always thought he was a pretty good guy.  Mallet would be a good pick for them, I don't know who else would do it-- I wonder if there are any good vet QB's out there right now.

From what I have read, Luck is serious about getting his degree, seems like a level headed guy given all the fame coming his way.

OK< I don't care if you were Marty McFly, and you had that sports book of the future in your hands, I never would have believed that the Saints would lose to Seattle!!  That is insane... the Saints just didn't look that good on offense, and the D played really poorly, especially on that last touchdown.

So, seriously, the playoffs is another season-- clearly the records don't matter.  Is Seattle the Cardinals from a couple years back?  Meh, I don't think they can get past Atlanta....however, if (when?) Green Bay beats Philly, the Pack goes to Chi-town next week-- that game would be awesome!

That Chiefs game was unpleasant on many levels, not the least of which was my toes froze. Either Weis mailed it in because he is taking another job, or Cassel is simply awful in cold weather.  Or both.

Baltimore is a tough defense to go against, even when KC was up 10-7, it was obvious they needed to get the ball to the wide outs more.  I think they just ran into a better team.  On the up side, they are a young team and should be able to get back to the playoffs next year.

Gosh, I hope SMX's head didn't explode when Ryan threw that pick-six to end the half. 

By the way, I've been remiss in praising SMX for the dangerously fun Top 100 thread.  Problem remedied.

Yes, it nearly did. Especially since I called it. When Atlanta started that drive, I predicted a pick six.

The Georgia Dome was not a stadium: it was an operating room.

After the second Packers score, you could see that Hot-lanta had nothing on Defense.  I was really surprised at how poorly the Ravens played in their second half.  It was their game to lose, and they lost it. 

Can anyone see the Jets or Seahawks winning today? 

Back